2015 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

Dedi

You and I are friends now.

Yay! :) also another big 10 perk I never expected- the comraderie and socializing surrounding football games. My department does a tailgate for every game, which has been a really awesome way to get to know people (even if you hate football). Personally I've loved going to the games :)

I didn't get any feedback so far, which would be really helpful - so I delete my old post and ask you once again :)

For me as an international student it is really hard to figure out, if my stats are competetive for the schools I am applying to. My univerversity is one of the best in Germany in life science research, so I figured I only want to apply to really good universities in the USA, which would equal an improvement over what I could get in my home country. I found research groups that do great and interesting work for every of the universities listed, so I would be happy to attend any of them :)

Undergrad Institution: Georg-August-University Göttingen (Germany)
Major(s): Molecular Medicine
GPA (B.Sc.): 3.55

Had a broad curriculum, ranging from phyisical, organic and anorganic chemistry and basic biology over anatomy, biochemistry and physiology to neurology, virology, cancer biology and cardiology.

Currently doing my M.Sc., will be finished by May 2015.

Graduate Institution: Georg-August-University Göttingen (Germany)
GPA (M.Sc.): 3.45
Position in Class: Not sure exactly, our program itself is already highly competetive with only 20 students being admitted every year. So a rank is not really meaningful here and we do not really get those numbers in Germany anyway.
Type of Student: International

TOEFL: 115/120
GRE Scores (revised/old version):
Q: 163 (86%)
V: 159 (81%)

!!! The scores are from different test dates, but some schools consider the best combination in case of multiple scores. If not applicable, my Verbal is 157 (74%) instead.
W: 4.0 (56%) 
Biochem: 670 (93%)

Research Experience:

- 1 Year in the lab (Neuropediatrics / Peroxisomebiology) where I've just started writing my master thesis, working with s. cerevisiae on targeting of peroxisomal proteins. Currently working on a publication, where I am going to be 2nd author. We are planning to send it in by the end of this year.

- About half a year in the lab (Molecular Psychiatry) where I wrote my bachelor thesis, working on a protein, which is mutated in rare forms of dementia

Two summerprojects:
- 5 weeks at Manchester University during my undergrad (2012), heart failure research (histological examination of mouse heart tissue)

- 10 weeks at the Cancer Science Institue Singapore (Part of NUS) this year, working on deubiquitinating enzymes involved in cancer pathways

Then numerous other, short lab internships in my home institution in order to get familiar with a wide range of methods in biological and medical research. My study program had a strong focus on practical experience in general, so during my 4,5 years of studying I was in the lab about 2 years full-time.

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Stipend of the German National Academic Foundation (extremely prestigious in Germany and usually internationally recognized); Stipend of the Medical School of my home institution; Several small stipends for my summerprojects.

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: TA in my current lab during this summer for a few months

Applying to Where:

My main focus / interest lies on organelles and intracellular targeting of proteins, as well as on organization / compartimentalization of cells. Also pretty interested in signaling and cellular communication. As a result, most programs are in neurosciences or molecular / cell biology.

NYU Sackler umbrella program

Columbia U, Neurobiology an behavior; 2nd option: CMBS

Rockefeller U

Weill Cornell / Sloan Keithering BMSC

Harvard MCO

MIT Biology

UCSD Biomedical Sciences

UCSF TETRAD

Stanford Biosciences (Home Areas: Biochemistry, Neuroscience, Molecular and Cellular Physiology)

UC Berkeley MCB

UCLA Biosciences, Cell & Devel. Biol

Princeton Mol Biol

UPenn BGS, Cell and Mol Biol

UChicago Cell and Mol Biol

I didn't get any feedback so far, which would be really helpful - so I delete my old post and ask you once again :)

For me as an international student it is really hard to figure out, if my stats are competetive for the schools I am applying to. My univerversity is one of the best in Germany in life science research, so I figured I only want to apply to really good universities in the USA, which would equal an improvement over what I could get in my home country. I found research groups that do great and interesting work for every of the universities listed, so I would be happy to attend any of them :)

Undergrad Institution: Georg-August-University Göttingen (Germany)

GPA (B.Sc.): 3.55

Had a broad curriculum, ranging from phyisical, organic and anorganic chemistry and basic biology over anatomy, biochemistry and physiology to neurology, virology, cancer biology and cardiology.

Currently doing my M.Sc., will be finished by May 2015.

Graduate Institution: Georg-August-University Göttingen (Germany)

GPA (M.Sc.): 3.45

Position in Class: Not sure exactly, our program itself is already highly competetive with only 20 students being admitted every year. So a rank is not really meaningful here and we do not really get those numbers in Germany anyway.

Type of Student: International

TOEFL: 115/120

GRE Scores (revised/old version):

Q: 163 (86%)

V: 159 (81%)

!!! The scores are from different test dates, but some schools consider the best combination in case of multiple scores. If not applicable, my Verbal is 157 (74%) instead.

W: 4.0 (56%) 

Biochem: 670 (93%)

Research Experience:

- 1 Year in the lab (Neuropediatrics / Peroxisomebiology) where I've just started writing my master thesis, working with s. cerevisiae on targeting of peroxisomal proteins. Currently working on a publication, where I am going to be 2nd author. We are planning to send it in by the end of this year.

- About half a year in the lab (Molecular Psychiatry) where I wrote my bachelor thesis, working on a protein, which is mutated in rare forms of dementia

Two summerprojects:

- 5 weeks at Manchester University during my undergrad (2012), heart failure research (histological examination of mouse heart tissue)

- 10 weeks at the Cancer Science Institue Singapore (Part of NUS) this year, working on deubiquitinating enzymes involved in cancer pathways

Then numerous other, short lab internships in my home institution in order to get familiar with a wide range of methods in biological and medical research. My study program had a strong focus on practical experience in general, so during my 4,5 years of studying I was in the lab about 2 years full-time.

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Stipend of the German National Academic Foundation (extremely prestigious in Germany and usually internationally recognized); Stipend of the Medical School of my home institution; Several small stipends for my summerprojects.

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: TA in my current lab during this summer for a few months

Applying to Where:

My main focus / interest lies on organelles and intracellular targeting of proteins, as well as on organization / compartimentalization of cells. Also pretty interested in signaling and cellular communication. As a result, most programs are in neurosciences or molecular / cell biology.

NYU Sackler umbrella program

Columbia U, Neurobiology an behavior; 2nd option: CMBS

Rockefeller U

Weill Cornell / Sloan Keithering BMSC

Harvard MCO

MIT Biology

UCSD Biomedical Sciences

UCSF TETRAD

Stanford Biosciences (Home Areas: Biochemistry, Neuroscience, Molecular and Cellular Physiology)

UC Berkeley MCB

UCLA Biosciences, Cell & Devel. Biol

Princeton Mol Biol

UPenn BGS, Cell and Mol Biol

UChicago Cell and Mol Biol

I think your stats are a bit low for many of the schools you have selected. Also, I htink most applying to top schools have around 3 years of research.  To double check I recommend that you go the results tab and search by school and program to see who has gotten in in prior years and how their stats compare with yours.

Best of luck!

I talked to the admissions officer at Case. She told me to apply directly to my program of interest and to also apply to BSTP. Is this common / necessary? 

It may not be necessary, but it will give you two avenues into the same program. If she says to do it, as long as it doesn't cut too deeply into your budget I say go for it. You probably don't even really have to change things like your SOP.

@ballwera,

I applied to case BSTP, interviewed and was accepted into their BSTP program.  So I don't think it is necessary to apply to both unless you have a reason.  Not to mention other places I applied let you list a second option program if you are so inclined (without charging you an additional fee)

This unfortunately only helps Case Western by getting more money from the same applicant, don't waste your money to apply to two programs at the same school and not even bother to change the SOP!

Is there one program you were applying to specifically? 

My understanding is you are applying to the BSTP and then the specialized program within it, essentially one puts you in the program right away and BSTP eventually feeds you into the program you are also applying to.  The applicant numbers will be different, and obviously only a certain about of BSTP can enter each respective program although as with any other PhD program I am sure there are some work around to that if multiple people from BSTP want to go into one field.

Undergrad Institution: Big state school. Anyway, I don't think this plays much of a role for anyone -- it's the school's reputation, not yours.
Major(s): Biology
Minor(s): Mathematics
GPA in Major: 3.85
Overall GPA: 3.83
Position in Class: Top 5%. I only know this because I was nominated for commencement speaker (I rejected this), and this is the criterion used.
Type of Student: Domestic female

GRE Scores (revised):
Q: 168, 95th percentile
V: 164, 93th
W: 6.0, 99th

Research Experience: One year in a developmental biology lab, studying skeletal/cartilage development. Lab lacks a postdoc and my two labmates are grad students. Hence, this experience has been independent -- which was initially frustrating, as it would have been nice to have been shown how to do a few things. I proposed and attained funding for my own project after the finishing up a project for a past grad student. I will be working full-time in my lab next semester (spring 2015), for a total of 1.5 years of research experience.

I have a first-author publication, but it's a review. I'm not sure if this makes it more or less significant. Certainly it signifies that my research has not been extensive enough to lead to a publication; nonetheless, reviews require a thorough (and yet concise) compilation of the current literature.

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: I've been awarded three (smallish) grants, so I'm familiar with the process of applying. I'm also familiar with rejection ;)

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: I'm an adjunct faculty in the math department at my school. This is my last semester of undergrad and they asked me to apply. I'm teaching an algebra course and will be next semester as well.

I've tutored math for the university's drop-in tutoring center since August 2011. I was a teaching assistant for Calc III (Multivariable & Vector Calc) for the 2012-2013 academic year, and a teaching assistant for Organic Chemistry during the 2013-2014 year.

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help: I'm a certified pharmacy tech in my state and have been since Jan 2010 (when I was a high school senior). I worked in a hospital pharmacy preparing IV infusions and compounding oral formulations for 3 years.

Special Bonus Points: Ain't got none of these here points.

Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter: I have a W in a 400-level math course. I withdrew because I realized that I needed to graduate (because I didn't have enough loans for this full academic year). I was a biology & math double major up until this point. Knowing that I would be going on in biology and that math was just a creative outlet, I dropped to a minor in math (although I'm 6 credits away from the degree...)

Applying to Where:

I have submitted applications for the following programs:

Brandeis - Neuroscience

University of Washington - Neurobiology & Behavior

Univ of Utah - Neuroscience

Oregon Health and Science Univ - Neuroscience

CU Anschutz - Neuroscience

Vanderbilt - Neuroscience (NGP)

Univ of Pittsburgh - Neuroscience

Univ of Iowa - Neuroscience

I am insecure about how my research experience does not relate to neuroscience. Of course, it shares the general slew of molecular biology techniques -- cell culture, pcr, westerns, immunocytochemistry, electroporation, confocal microscopy, etc -- but I haven't ever sliced up a rat brain.

Applying to Where:

I have submitted applications for the following programs:

Brandeis - Neuroscience

University of Washington - Neurobiology & Behavior

Univ of Utah - Neuroscience

Oregon Health and Science Univ - Neuroscience

CU Anschutz - Neuroscience

Vanderbilt - Neuroscience (NGP)

Univ of Pittsburgh - Neuroscience

Univ of Iowa - Neuroscience

I am insecure about how my research experience does not relate to neuroscience. Of course, it shares the general slew of molecular biology techniques -- cell culture, pcr, westerns, immunocytochemistry, electroporation, confocal microscopy, etc -- but I haven't ever sliced up a rat brain.

I think you'll have a terrific shot at all of these programs, and would encourage you to apply to some higher tier ones too! If you're interested and match well with some Ivys/UC schools, why not, right?

Just submitted my first application! (I know; I'm very behind because of a family emergency) Sitting on the submit button for a few of them. It's terrifying to let these things go. I always feel like I could do more edits. Good luck to everyone else still trying to get done!

Edited by Chrissymisha

In terms of the Big 10, I gotta go with the Gophers. I was partial to Nebraska back when I was living in Kansas...then I ended up in Minneapolis. 

Yay! :) also another big 10 perk I never expected- the comraderie and socializing surrounding football games. My department does a tailgate for every game, which has been a really awesome way to get to know people (even if you hate football). Personally I've loved going to the games :)

What school do you follow in New York  :huh:

In terms of the Big 10, I gotta go with the Gophers. I was partial to Nebraska back when I was living in Kansas...then I ended up in Minneapolis. 

I guess I'm okay with them considering I lived in Minnesota for a good number of years. And I did enjoy my time in Minneapolis, it's a nice city.

Finally submitted my first application yesterday. Indiana University down, 5 more to go! I have most of my apps filled out. I just need to finish up my SOPs and other essays. I can't wait for the applications to be done already.

What school do you follow in New York :huh:

Lol I'm at Penn State. Never changed my location, I'm from NY.

when am i allowed to check my email incessantly? because i already am every morning bcuz im nutz.

I was you- and both of my acceptances came in when I wasn't incessantly checking my phone (one after a nap and one in class). I feel like it always works like that haha. Try to relax! (Easier said than done, I know)

Yay, UCSD Biomedical Sciences pre-application (mandatory for international students) has been approved, woop woop! So now I am officially allowed to apply :P

WOW Great Congratulations! Do you know if any other one also been approved? I am still waiting for the results of this pre-application and worry about it a lot :(

I have a first-author publication, but it's a review. I'm not sure if this makes it more or less significant. Certainly it signifies that my research has not been extensive enough to lead to a publication; nonetheless, reviews require a thorough (and yet concise) compilation of the current literature.

How does one publish a review as an undergrad? I was under the impression that reviews are generally written by long-time experts in a field. 

Sounds impressive nevertheless

How does one publish a review as an undergrad? I was under the impression that reviews are generally written by long-time experts in a field. 

Sounds impressive nevertheless

I took a graduate-level course in "writing in the biomedical sciences", led by my PI. The term project was a "mini" review -- not to be published, just to experience the process of reading EVERYTHING about a topic, organizing related works, and offering a conclusive perspective on the current state of research in that topic. I have always enjoyed writing and took the assignment a little farther than was ever my intention. My PI told me that my review was publishable and she helped me through the publication/peer review/tedious process.

WOW Great Congratulations! Do you know if any other one also been approved? I am still waiting for the results of this pre-application and worry about it a lot :(

Thanks! But I don't know how many were approved and if all of them have already been notified :/ All the best, let's hope that they didn't get to send all e-mails on Friday (which was when I got the news)!

I took a graduate-level course in "writing in the biomedical sciences", led by my PI. The term project was a "mini" review -- not to be published, just to experience the process of reading EVERYTHING about a topic, organizing related works, and offering a conclusive perspective on the current state of research in that topic. I have always enjoyed writing and took the assignment a little farther than was ever my intention. My PI told me that my review was publishable and she helped me through the publication/peer review/tedious process.

Very cool. That will definitely help you stand out. Best of luck!

I think you'll have a terrific shot at all of these programs, and would encourage you to apply to some higher tier ones too! If you're interested and match well with some Ivys/UC schools, why not, right?

I would agree. Your application should be competitive wherever you apply. Research experience is not about learning techniques so much as it is about learning the process of research. Even still, you've got plenty of the basics and you'll learn whatever else you need for your project when the time comes.