Major(s): Biology

Master's GPA: 3.992

Type of Student: international male

GRE Scores (revised/old version):

Q: 162

V: 157

W: not available yet

Research Experience:

2 manuscripts in preparation for submission this winter. One talk given in prestigious international conference, two talks in small conferences, one poster in national conference, one poster in local conference.

One senior thesis, one Master's thesis and 3 smaller research projects (4-5 years total)

Awards/Honors/Recognitions:  

Scholarships in 3 of my four undergrad years, full M.S. scholarship.

Pertinent Activities or Jobs:

TA in 3 labs in my undergrad institution, and in about 15 labs during my MS.

Lab assistant

Volunteer work in wild animal rehab.

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help:

Fluent in two languages, intermediate in one more.

Special Bonus Points:  

Encouraged to apply by faculty members in all programs I'm applying to, some of them seeming really positive about it.

Applying to Where:

Princeton Ecology and Evolutionary Biology,

Upenn Biology

Penn State Ecology

Stony Brook Ecology and Evolutionary Biology

What do you guys think?

Could anyone give me some feedback here? Anxiety is killing me!

I feel very insecure about my international status and the fact that I haven't attended big research institutions.

I had two PI's say that they will be looking forward to my application, I don't know if that's a good sign or if it's just something they would say to everyone...

I also had one PI invite me to visit his lab and talk about my research (a pre-interview?) next week.

Edited by Soldier of Love

Soldier of Love - I'm not really qualified to comment on your chances of admission (as I'm in the application process myself). However, I am familiar with the Ecology program at Penn State. You probably already know this, but you must have a faculty member committed to you joining their lab in order to be admitted. That said, what will probably happen is the faculty member will recommend a few promising students who have contacted them to the adcomm and let them decide. So if you have a faculty member who told you to apply or said that they are looking forward to your application, then that's a good sign that you will at least be considered. I am in this same situation at UNC... I had a Skype interview with a PI, and he told me to apply at the end of the interview, as well as told me about the timeline of the interview weekend and admissions decisions. So that means that the adcomm won't immediately throw my application out and I have a good chance!

I personally think that your stats look good aside from your GRE score. Your GPA is great, you have plenty of research experience, some poster presentations, and TA experience, which will all work really strongly in your favor. I think it would look better if your manuscripts were under review at this point, but that's not something that can be changed. Your GRE scores aren't bad, but for the school that you are applying to, they could be better. However, I think the rest of your application will far outweigh them. This would especially be true if you told the PI's about your scores and they didn't say anything about them.

Thanks for the feedback shadowclaw!

Yes, my GRE scores are not exceptional, but I think that they won't ruin my application. Princeton provided average GRE scores from last year's applicants in Natural Sciences Ph.D. programs.

In the verbal section, the averages were 158 for applicants, 163 for admits and 161 for enrollees. My 157 is pretty low in this case, but I thought that the fact that English is not my first language would make it not look so bad...

In the quantitative section, it was 154 for applicants, 161 for admits and 158 for enrollees. In this case I think I'm in a decent position with my 162.

when am i allowed to check my email incessantly? because i already am every morning bcuz im nutz.

I got my first invite via email like a week before Thanksgiving, BUT I also submitted my app in like the middle of October. Most of the invites will be coming out in December/January. Huge waves usually the week before Christmas and after New Years. I'm really jealous of you applicants, it was SUCH an exciting/stressful time when interviews were coming out. Lots of rumors about what schools are sending out what when. Lots of restless nights. I made a rule for myself that between the hours of noon-5pm, I can only check my email once per hour. That was really helpful.

I got my first invite via email like a week before Thanksgiving, BUT I also submitted my app in like the middle of October. Most of the invites will be coming out in December/January. Huge waves usually the week before Christmas and after New Years. I'm really jealous of you applicants, it was SUCH an exciting/stressful time when interviews were coming out. Lots of rumors about what schools are sending out what when. Lots of restless nights. I made a rule for myself that between the hours of noon-5pm, I can only check my email once per hour. That was really helpful.

username1824, this is actually something i'm curious about. does applying early help your chances of getting an invite?

can anyone speak to this?

username1824, this is actually something i'm curious about. does applying early help your chances of getting an invite?

From what I've read, applying early helps your chances of hearing back earlier, if the program does rolling admissions.

If you think about it, it seems like applying early at a rolling admissions school might be harmful. If these schools indeed review applications as they are submitted, your application will be judged among its chronological neighbors. It shouldn't be this way -- they should all be judged without bias -- but adcoms are human. This could be problematic in that the applicants who typically apply early are the aggressive, competitive applicants who really know what they want. Thus, applying early may place you in this crowd and could result in your application being viewed with a harsher pair of eyes.

I would say applying late may have its benefits in this scenario. Those who apply late may just be scrounging up some backup schools that they aren't wholeheartely invested in, or may be indecisive about grad school and just "seeing what happens" if they apply. If these people are your application neighbors, and you're a competitive applicant, and there are a couple spots left to fill -- maybe your prospects are better.

Edited by pasteltomato

Hi everyone, just wanted to update my profile as I applied to 3 new schools

Undergrad Institution: Cal State

Major(s): Psychology

Minor(s):

GPA in Major: 3.89

Overall GPA: 3.56

Position in Class: top 15%

Type of Student: Male White

Q: 153 (54 %)

V: 152 (52 %)

W: 5.0 (93 %)

B: N/A

Research Experience: 2 + years of genetic laboratory experience, a 2nd author publication, trip to National genetics conference with a poster, multiple presentations in my lab

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Cum Laude

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: officer of the genetics club at my school

Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter:

I took courses in genetics, general bio, evo bio, general chem & organic, physics and calculus, neuroscience, biopsychology, and multiple statistics courses while majoring in psych.

Applying to Where:

UC Merced - QSB 

UC Irvine - INP Neuro

UC Riverside - Neuro

Arizona State University - Neuro

University of Arizona - Neuro

Oregon Health and Science University - Neuro

University of Alabama at Birmingham - Neuro

Indiana School of Medicine - Neuro

Purdue Univ

UC Davis

UCLA

Brandeis

You've already applied to these schools, you say? It sounds like you've got solid research experience and you did take courses outside of psychology that will help you. Your GRE scores are the only concern that I perceive. Psych applicants for neuro programs are notoriously judged for their quantitative reasoning scores, but I don't know much about this so perhaps feedback should be provided by someone else in this regard. If you applied for the "psych side" of these neuro programs -- by that, I mean that your SOP appealed to the systems neuroscience faculty at these schools -- you might be just fine.

At OHSU, did you apply to Behavioral Neuro or the Neuro Grad Program?  

I would say for rolling admissions there is definitely an advantage. I applied at one school where I was in the first group of interviewing students, and they told us that we were at an advantage. Basically the earlier your application is in the earlier they invite you to interview, and with rolling admissions, they started accepting us that following Monday. If they had enough people commit early on, you could have people interviewing later on (late February or March) for spots that actually no longer existed because they couldn't accept anyone else after having enough people commit.

For other schools, though, I don't think it matters as much. I interviewed at a couple of places that had multiple interview weekends but didn't decide on acceptances until after everyone had interviewed. I also had interviews where it was only one weekend for all recruits, so it didn't matter at all. For these, I believe they wait until all applications are in and review them all before extending invitations for interviews. At least that's my experience! A majority of program websites will tell you how the process works, and if not, you could always ask if you're really curious.

You've already applied to these schools, you say? It sounds like you've got solid research experience and you did take courses outside of psychology that will help you. Your GRE scores are the only concern that I perceive. Psych applicants for neuro programs are notoriously judged for their quantitative reasoning scores, but I don't know much about this so perhaps feedback should be provided by someone else in this regard. If you applied for the "psych side" of these neuro programs -- by that, I mean that your SOP appealed to the systems neuroscience faculty at these schools -- you might be just fine.

At OHSU, did you apply to Behavioral Neuro or the Neuro Grad Program?

None of my research is psychological and none of the programs are either. I'm applying to molecular neuroscience programs. For every single program I applied to, I would contact my poi there or admissions and ask if my scores were too low. I pretty much only applied to places that gave me the go ahead aside from ucla. A few schools actually said I'd be a competitive applicant and they would like to read my app, hopefully they weren't lying. I am also enrolled for biochem while I wait on decisions. I am pretty worried about my gre's though. I hope my genetic research, publication, and gpa will help me. At OHSU, I applied to the neuro grad program. Not sure what else to do. Edited by Ted Binsky

Hey all,

Some of you may recognize me from last application season, when I was getting close to hitting the submit button and freaking out for the next 5 months.  Turns out things ended really well and I ended up at UT Southwestern in the Immunology program.

I thought I'd come back here and see what the next year's applicants are up to and offer any advice that I can. 

PM me if you like!

Guess I thought I'd stop lurking and post since I'm now going through this taxing process.

Undergrad Institution: Big State, Flagship Research University 

Major(s): Biochemistry
Minor(s): None
GPA in Major: 3.81
Overall GPA: 3.81
Position in Class: At least top 10-20%
Type of Student: Domestic male

Q: 166 (92%)
V: 161 (87%)
W: 4.5 (80%)
B: Waiting on scores

Research Experience: By the time I graduate, I'll have 1.5 years in the Biochem lab I'm currently in, and one summer in an introductory research program at my university. No publications, poster talks, or presentations. 

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: University Honors, Fellowship for Undergrad Research

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: ACS Leadership position, TA for Gen Chem for 3 semesters so far

Special Bonus Points: My PI went to my top choice of school (and might have connections), another recommendation writer (whose graduate class I'm taking) won the Eli Lilly Award in Biological Chemistry and worked under a famous biochemist, my last writer is the undergraduate dean of the college. In the Grad Class we had to submit NSF-GRFP applications, and one of my writers said I had written a proposal that was better than most of the graduate students.

Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter: As you noticed, I don't have much research experience at all. I was kind of late in the game and I didn't know what I really wanted to do until Junior year.  I'm asking my LoR writers to address this weakness. I'm trying to make this up by presenting at the NCRC and poster session held at my univeristy in the Spring, as well as applying to a research internship at a National Lab this summer. I'm hoping I can mention this in the interview if it comes up--however, my worry is that I won't get interviews for this exact reason.

Applying to Where: Biochem Grad Programs

UCSF - CCB

Vanderbilt - IGP

Michigan - PIBS

Yale - BBS

Washington - Biochem

Johns Hopkins - BCMB

Rice - BCB

Wisconsin - IPiB

Illinois - MCB

UCSD - Biochem

My top choice is UCSF - Chemistry and Chemical Biology program, and I hate myself for getting so excited about this program with its PIs and research when it has such a low admission rate. I know that the other schools I'm applying to have really good Biochemistry programs, but I know I'm definitely going to feel it if/when I don't get an interview/admission offer from UCSF. 

Guess I thought I'd stop lurking and post since I'm now going through this taxing process.

Undergrad Institution: Big State, Flagship Research University 

GPA in Major: 3.81

Overall GPA: 3.81

Position in Class: At least top 10-20%

Type of Student: Domestic male

Q: 166 (92%)

B: Waiting on scores

Research Experience: By the time I graduate, I'll have 1.5 years in the Biochem lab I'm currently in, and one summer in an introductory research program at my university. No publications, poster talks, or presentations. 

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: University Honors, Fellowship for Undergrad Research

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: ACS Leadership position, TA for Gen Chem for 3 semesters so far

Special Bonus Points: My PI went to my top choice of school (and might have connections), another recommendation writer (whose graduate class I'm taking) won the Eli Lilly Award in Biological Chemistry and worked under a famous biochemist, my last writer is the undergraduate dean of the college. In the Grad Class we had to submit NSF-GRFP applications, and one of my writers said I had written a proposal that was better than most of the graduate students.

Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter: As you noticed, I don't have much research experience at all. I was kind of late in the game and I didn't know what I really wanted to do until Junior year.  I'm asking my LoR writers to address this weakness. I'm trying to make this up by presenting at the NCRC and poster session held at my univeristy in the Spring, as well as applying to a research internship at a National Lab this summer. I'm hoping I can mention this in the interview if it comes up--however, my worry is that I won't get interviews for this exact reason.

Applying to Where: Biochem Grad Programs

UCSF - CCB

Vanderbilt - IGP

Michigan - PIBS

Yale - BBS

Washington - Biochem

Johns Hopkins - BCMB

Rice - BCB

Wisconsin - IPiB

Illinois - MCB

UCSD - Biochem

My top choice is UCSF - Chemistry and Chemical Biology program, and I hate myself for getting so excited about this program with its PIs and research when it has such a low admission rate. I know that the other schools I'm applying to have really good Biochemistry programs, but I know I'm definitely going to feel it if/when I don't get an interview/admission offer from UCSF. 

I don't see any deficiencies to speak of. Your GPA and GRE scores are solid, which may be used as filters for the schools that you're applying to (they all face many applicants). I think 1.5 years of research is sturdy, and I wouldn't try to "apologize" for it. If your letter writers speak to how much you've gotten out of 1.5 years, rather than taking a defensive approach, I think it will fare much better for you. 

If you're concerned about getting in ANYWHERE, you might want to look into some less prestigious schools/schools that get fewer applicants. Make sure you like your "safety" schools and would be happy attending -- even if you would be happier elsewhere, a good alternate should be likable and amenable to your research interests.

Undergrad Institution: a young uni in Hong Kong quickly gaining reputation
Minor(s): Mathematics, Information Technology (several CS courses), Chemistry
GPA in Major: 4.17/4.30 (3.98/4.00)
Overall GPA: 4.08/4.30 (3.95/4.00)
Position in Class: near the top
Type of Student: international male

Q: 170 (98%)
B: waiting for score

TOEFL Total: 116 (26 for speaking, 30 for all other sections)

Research Experience: I have worked in 3 labs, two in my university and one in an Ivy when I went on an exchange program. I feel very fortunate that my institution creates a lot of research opportunities for undergrads, so I joined a lab as early as the summer following my freshman year. I spent 6 month there and switched to another lab where the PI is a chair professor and has quite high reputation in his field (structural biology). He is also a member of Chinese Academy of Sciences. I started with learning different techniques there, and now I'm working independently on my final year project. Last semester I went on exchange to an Ivy school, and I also grabbed the chance to work in a neuropathology lab. The people there liked me. :D

One on my concern is that I've got no publications and I haven't done posters or formal presentations. The good thing is that all my LORs are from professors I've worked with, and the one from the professor of my current lab will be a very strong one. 

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: full scholarship for college, dean's list (many people have this), academic excellence awards

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help: I guess my exchange experience might help, but I'm trying to hide that transcript since my grades there were not particularly well. I scored the top in Gaokao (the notorious national college entrance examination) in my city/province, but I doubt that would help.

Special Bonus Points: nothing I could think of :/

Applying to Where: Here's the long list (15 schools, 16 programs):

Harvard: MCO

MIT: Biology

Stanford: Biology

UC Berkeley: MCB

Caltech: Biology

Yale: BBS

Princeton: Molecular Biology (but I selected Biology@Princeton because I also have a interest for QCB)

Scripps: Neuroscience/Molecular Biology

Cornell: BMCB

UC San Diego: Molecular Biology

Columbia: Biological Sciences (MCB)

UChicago: Biological Sciences (CMB)

Northwestern: IBiS

CMU: Biological Sciences AND Computational Biology (under CS department)

UW-Seattle: MCB

As you can see I'm interested in molecular biology the most. Most of my previous research was on the molecular level though I have some experience doing behavioral tests. I've also indicated my interests in quantitative/computational biology where my math and CS backgrounds might help. But it seems that people in that area are mostly from a pure CS or interdisciplinary (e.g. Comp. Bio. major or CS and Bio double major) background, so my chance might not be that high...

Any comments on my chance of getting interviews/admissions? Or any other comments are welcome and appreciated!

I don't see any deficiencies to speak of. Your GPA and GRE scores are solid, which may be used as filters for the schools that you're applying to (they all face many applicants). I think 1.5 years of research is sturdy, and I wouldn't try to "apologize" for it. If your letter writers speak to how much you've gotten out of 1.5 years, rather than taking a defensive approach, I think it will fare much better for you. 

If you're concerned about getting in ANYWHERE, you might want to look into some less prestigious schools/schools that get fewer applicants. Make sure you like your "safety" schools and would be happy attending -- even if you would be happier elsewhere, a good alternate should be likable and amenable to your research interests.

Thanks for the reassurance. I guess I'm feeling this way because I remember reading a post that said most successful applicants at the top notch schools had 3 or more years of research, and I know I have had significantly less. Also, I think I can get into at least one of my schools that I am applying to: or should I be worried? I realize I'm a solid applicant, so should I really be worried that I won't get into any, considering that I am applying to 10 of them? Nonetheless, if you have any suggestions for safety schools that have great Biochemistry departments, I'm willing to hear them!

Thanks for the reassurance. I guess I'm feeling this way because I remember reading a post that said most successful applicants at the top notch schools had 3 or more years of research, and I know I have had significantly less. Also, I think I can get into at least one of my schools that I am applying to: or should I be worried? I realize I'm a solid applicant, so should I really be worried that I won't get into any, considering that I am applying to 10 of them? Nonetheless, if you have any suggestions for safety schools that have great Biochemistry departments, I'm willing to hear them!

Oh, I gotcha. It's definitely hard to unsee/unhear those sort of things -- and I'm not convinced that this is true. It may "look good" to have 3 years of experience, but if that means that someone started research as a sophomore (assuming that the applicant is applying during senior year), how much did they really GET out of research before even taking the core courses that provide the underlying principles that researchers need to think critically/creatively about? In other words, the average biochem freshman is still a freshman, and probably has the year of general chemistry finished by the end of freshman year. At my school, sophomores take analytical chem (quant) and organic chem, as well as physics and all the calculuses (calculi?). It isn't until the third year that the biochemistry course is even made available to a student due to its prerequisites. Some people take it concurrently with physical chemistry, others save one of the two for their fourth year. And, of course, all the elective courses typically fill in the 3rd and 4th years, also because of prereqs.

So, I'm trying to argue that only biochem juniors (some of them) and seniors (most of them) really have the background to appreciate their research experience. Younger students may be able to learn techniques and bits and pieces of the principles underlying those techniques, but they haven't yet developed the background to do much more than that. That being said, 3 years may look stellar on paper, but if it meant 2 years of following instructions and not thinking like a researcher, does it really benefit those applicants at all? 

You started research later, and your stats seem to indicate (sorry for judging) that you are a motivated student, so I would tend to believe that your 1.5 years was of great quality.

Nonetheless, if you have any suggestions for safety schools that have great Biochemistry departments, I'm willing to hear them!

I forgot this part of your question -- sorry!

I chose my safety schools based on places I would be happy to live, and then looked for schools located in those places. They are safeties for a reason -- if I'm not as enthusiastic about the program, I may as well be enthusiastic about the location. Also, I googled stuff like ' "there is no application fee" neuroscience PhD program', because there are definitely schools without application fees and after applying to 6 schools + sending GRE scores + sending transcripts, I didn't feel like spending any more money. So it depends on what you want out of your safety schools. At one point I was planning to apply to Oregon State's biochemistry & biophysics program (free!), but the department is smaller (<40 research faculty) and only a couple of the faculty had research that appealed to me (neuro). But I did visit and the campus is beautiful, if that counts for anything.

Maybe this would be helpful: http://chronicle.com/article/NRC-Rankings-Overview-/124707/

@pastel tomato-

I feel that your understanding of the benefits of lab work are fairly compartmentalized.  Typically people learn more in a laboratory setting than in the rote memorization of coursework.  Thus someone who started two years earlier even before the courses are provided would have to learn and probably have a good working knowledge of the material they use in their laboratory.  They wouldn't simply sit stagnant until they reach the coursework.  It also is an important understanding that working in a laboratory includes active learning constantly.  A student who starts their freshmen or sophomore year, if they are a good laboratorian, will have done their own research to expand their working knowledge. 

Having courses does not allow you to appreciate your research experience whatsoever. 

Now research isn't just about time, so just because someone has 4 years compared to 2 doesn't mean their experience was "better".  But there is a lot to be said about having a good amount of experience and comfort working in a lab setting and being exposed to a variety of different techniques and obstacles.  Obviously they more time you spend there the more you learn what it is like to be in a lab setting.

Personally I think undergraduate research, though important, isn't even close to the experience you gain working full time in a job setting in the lab.  So to me, 2-4 years of undergrad is great but I still doubt that a candidate has a real feel for laboratory research as those compared to having spent even 1 year in a 40+ hour/week laboratory setting.

@peachypie

In chemistry and biochemistry, there is a lot less "rote memorization" and much more application. I only intended to speak to the experiences of chemistry undergrads, and I'm sorry for not saying that directly. Perhaps at my university there are too many freshman blindly working on organic syntheses and thus my vision is cloudy. In biology, I would tend to agree with all your sentiments.

Again, I think regardless of biochemistry or chemistry this would still apply.  I think chemistry can be highly rote memorization, organic chemistry in my opinion is very memorization-oriented.  Also most of those chemistry, such as gen chem and o chem as well as biochemistry often have labs associate with the course work and are frequently part of your first or second year in school, thus why I think again it wouldn't really make a student less able to appreciate the research. 

I think it is highly individual specific and it is more about the good students being the ones who do not see learning as purely course-based but rather what they have taught themselves as they go. 

Again, I think regardless of biochemistry or chemistry this would still apply.  I think chemistry can be highly rote memorization, organic chemistry in my opinion is very memorization-oriented.  Also most of those chemistry, such as gen chem and o chem as well as biochemistry often have labs associate with the course work and are frequently part of your first or second year in school, thus why I think again it wouldn't really make a student less able to appreciate the research. 

I think it is highly individual specific and it is more about the good students being the ones who do not see learning as purely course-based but rather what they have taught themselves as they go. 

In biology I think it depends on the type of research that you are doing. I worked in a cell biology lab, and you had to at least be in the cell biology class to join the lab which meant I couldn't join until my senior year because that class had so many prereqs (intro bio and chem, plus full year of organic). On the other hand I could have joined a botany lab my junior year because I took that class earlier. I will say that I have learned much more in my lab than in lecture (exponentially so while I've been in grad school), but I needed the foundation first. I'm not saying a freshman or sophomore wouldn't learn anything from doing undergraduate research because they absolutely will. I've taught high school students the basics, and they've done fine, but I don't think they would necessarily be ready for their own project or at least not one they had to design on their own. To be fair, I don't think most seniors are either. That's something I've learned how to do in grad school in the pass two and a half years.    

Undergrad Institution: Small liberal arts college, fairly well known and respected 

Major(s): Biology and Anthropology
GPA in Major: 
Overall GPA: 3.14

Graduate Institution: Same as undergrad

GPA in MS: 3.0 (very rough start, and OChem, but very upward trend - 4.0 most recent semesters)

GPA in Research Courses: 4.0 
Position in Class: Unknown
Type of Student: Domestic female

Q: 149 (37%) (I know... Math tests stress me out)
V: 163 (93%)
W: 5 (93%)
B: Not taking
Full-time GRE prep, taking them again in December and hoping adcomms will look at them!

Research Experience: By the time I graduate, I'll have 4 years (and 5 summers) in the genetics lab where I currently study. 

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Deans List

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: Biology tutor; TA experience; 2 semesters of teaching experience (undergrad lab course); Grader for a class; STEM mentor during senior year; Fellowship teaching science to a kindergarten class.

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help: Junior & Senior Class President; Club president; Started a mentoring program for undergrads.

Special Bonus Points: I have a very mild disability, which I casually mention in the 4th line of my SOP. 

Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter: 2 First-author papers (low-impact journals) in preparation, Experience guest lecturing, Handful of conference/poster presentations

Applying to Where: Biology PhD Programs (in no particular order)

UPenn

UConn

UMass Amherst

BU

Penn State

Northeastern

I'm looking for some reassurance that something good might come of this. 

Thanks!!

Undergrad Institution: Small liberal arts college, fairly well known and respected

Major(s): Biology and Anthropology

GPA in Major:

Overall GPA: 3.14

Graduate Institution: Same as undergrad

GPA in MS: 3.0 (very rough start, and OChem, but very upward trend - 4.0 most recent semesters)

GPA in Research Courses: 4.0

Position in Class: Unknown

Type of Student: Domestic female

Q: 149 (37%) (I know... Math tests stress me out)

V: 163 (93%)

W: 5 (93%)

B: Not taking

Full-time GRE prep, taking them again in December and hoping adcomms will look at them!

Research Experience: By the time I graduate, I'll have 4 years (and 5 summers) in the genetics lab where I currently study.

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Deans List

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: Biology tutor; TA experience; 2 semesters of teaching experience (undergrad lab course); Grader for a class; STEM mentor during senior year; Fellowship teaching science to a kindergarten class.

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help: Junior & Senior Class President; Club president; Started a mentoring program for undergrads.

Special Bonus Points: I have a very mild disability, which I casually mention in the 4th line of my SOP.

Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter: 2 First-author papers (low-impact journals) in preparation, Experience guest lecturing, Handful of conference/poster presentations

Applying to Where: Biology PhD Programs (in no particular order)

UPenn

UConn

UMass Amherst

BU

Penn State

Northeastern

I'm looking for some reassurance that something good might come of this.

Thanks!!

I'm at Penn State and I applied to UConn (Although for Biochemistry, not Chem) if you have any questions feel free to ask :) I don't really know how to Q score will play out, maybe someone here has an answer.