2015 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

Dedi

Schools I'm looking into:

Reach Tier: Columbia, Stanford, John Hopkins, MIT, Harvard (the latter two is the result of explaining to idiot relatives that just because i work for and know the professors there doesnt mean I'll be easier to get in. nevertheless they expect me to apply)

Likely Tier: UCSD, U of Washington, UT Huston, UT Southwestern Medical, Boston U, U of Arizona

Your GPA will cost you.  A lot.  Poor grade inflation is no excuse; I come from a school where grade inflation is virtually nonexistent and managed a 3.69.

I suggest you trim your reach tier, tell your relatives to knock it off wrt MIT and Harvard and pick two of the schools on that list that have people that you actually want to work with (and those are reach schools for people with better GPAs and GREs than you have), and expand your likely tier.

UCSD is reach tier.  U of Washington neuro admits very few people a year, so may be considered reach tier.  U of Arizona is highly biased toward U of Arizona graduates (I interviewed there).

Edited by acetylcholine

You may have to do a masters degree with that gpa. You may get lucky and get into a decent PhD program as your major gpa is fine and it sounds like your junior/senior gpa is fine as well. The publications may save your ass. I just don't see a top tier university saying yes. Now if you are able to do a masters degree and perform very well top tier may be doable again.

I'll have to explain in the SOP that I was coming off SSRIs when I was a freshman; I know its not a very good excuse. I've also been rejected from masters programs before I've gotten my job as a research tech. I've also completed a Thesis for my BA degree. I dont see how another 3 years doing essentially what I did in my undergrad, will advance my understanding of biology more than what i've been doing now as a Technician.

This is the second time through for me.  I was denied to all programs last year. 

Undergrad Institution: Private LAC on the East Coast not known for its science programs.  
Major(s):  Dual biology/chemistry.  I had already earned an A.S. in Applied Oceanography prior to attending. 
Minor(s):  Could have received a minor in psychology of all things had I petitioned. 
GPA in Major:  2.9 to 3.1, but it depends on how one would define "major-related courses".  See below:
Overall GPA:  3.4 if including every single college course.  My university had a one-price-fits all for full time students. So, since I was already paying for them I took the max number of credits each semester, including of courses not relating to my major, program, or degree/school requirements, but most were science/math related. I also did a lot of community college prior to transferring into my university. 
Position in Class: School did not rank, but I would say somewhere near the middle. 
Type of Student: Domestic, male. 

GRE Scores (revised/old version):  
Q: 156. 
V:  154.  
W:  5.0
B:  What is this?  The Biology subject test? 

Research Experience: Two years worth working from an R/V (research vessel).  One year chemistry:  new project, primarily set up the experiment, worked out the kinks, and wrote the protocol/manual for future students.  Worked directly for the prof, not the "lab".  One year biology, and another year biology.  One was for the "lab" working on an already established project and the other was directly with a prof.  Both were on campus.  Both of these projects concluded with research papers (roughly 25 pages each, not including reference/bibliography/graphs, tables, etc.) and public presentations.  Neither paper were published or attempted to be published. 

Two years building and deploying coastal drifters, tracking their movements via attached GPS, plotting movements into GIS.  This culminated with the participation in the State GIS Championships.  Won 3rd place. 

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: All recognitions were school/campus related, but not major/degree/department related. I was recognized for outstanding leadership/commitment for:  one year:  as staff writer of student newspaper; one year: as Editor-in-Cheif of student newspaper; one year: as vice president of the student senate (note* not SGA); two years in a row for founding/leading a team of students who built underwater ROVs for competition which included writing of technical reports, poster displays, and verbal presentations/design rational Q/A to a panel.  Not one person on the team, including myself, had prior experience with robotics/ROVs.   Our team beat MIT both years, ha!

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: Three years volunteering with a respected organization analyzing water chemistry.  One year constructing and deploying artificial reefs (volunteer).  One year monitoring invasive species (volunteer).

One year lab assistant for chemistry department:  set up labs for experiments.  One year building/designing new types of ocean drifters. 

Not related but sat on a "student welfare and retention committee" as a student liaison; helped create/change campus wide policy. Sat on another committee that helped promote and recognize student leadership.

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help:  There are more-than-likely a few more I am excluding....

Special Bonus Points: Nope.  I was older then the typical undergrad, perhaps?  My first SCUBA certification is probably older than the age of the typical gradcafe user...maybe...if one considers the minimum age requirement...

Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter: I included everything I wanted to include here.  All other info is between me, the application, and the prospective departments.   

Applying to Where:

University of Rhode Island

University of Maine

UC Davis

MIT

Brown

San Jose State

University of Maryland

Maybe University of Delaware

Maybe Scripps (oceanography)

A few others...

I'll be the umpteenth person to say: post/PM me with any questions!

I did this whole process TWICE and am finally starting at a program I'm excited for in August. For any older/non-traditional applicants, holla at me, I'm your guy! Also had a colorful academic record, so if you can sympathize, you know where to find me. :)

I'll send you a PM.  If I forget, PM me  :)

Edited by Crucial BBQ

I'll have to explain in the SOP that I was coming off SSRIs when I was a freshman; I know its not a very good excuse. I've also been rejected from masters programs before I've gotten my job as a research tech. I've also completed a Thesis for my BA degree. I dont see how another 3 years doing essentially what I did in my undergrad, will advance my understanding of biology more than what i've been doing now as a Technician.

I can understand that, but at the same time a PhD is academic and your technician job is vocational. A MS would also be academic and high performance on it can show you are of academic caliber to complete a PhD. It'ss very conceivable to me that somebody can be a successful technician but would have difficulty generating an independent research project. You have to give admissions committees a reason to pick you and take a chance on somebody who doesn't fit the profile of a typical successful student.

I also recommend a masters to prove you can get better grades. I went the masters before PhD route due to my low, 3.3 uGPA. I have a 4.0 MS GPA which will help my application alot plus tonssss more reserach (and I even had a lot before the MS). From the program's perspective, it really doesnt matter how good of an understanding of biology you have if you can't make the mimum GPA to stay in the program which is usually between a 3.0 and 3.3. From a programs perspective, why would they risk taking you when, based on your undergrad grades, it is likely that you will get kicked out the program when they can take someone else who wouldnt be so risky. If you can keep a >3.7ish GPA during a masters then a program would be more confident in your ability to handle the course work.

Good luck whichever direction you go! I have had an absolutely amazing experience during my MS and feel so much more prepared than I would without the extra education. It has been such a great experience for me that I would really recommend it to anyone.

Edited by bsharpe269

GPA in Major:  2.9 to 3.1, but it depends on how one would define "major-related courses".  See below:

Overall GPA:  3.4 if including every single college course.  My university had a one-price-fits all for full time students. So, since I was already paying for them I took the max number of credits each semester, including of courses not relating to my major, program, or degree/school requirements, but most were science/math related. I also did a lot of community college prior to transferring into my university. 

Generally, your GPA in your major is calculated by calculating the GPA using only courses listed in that department.

However, taking the maximum possible number of credits each semester, especially if it includes courses not related to your major, program, or degree requirements, is really really bad time management.  It doesn't matter if it's one-price-fits-all.  You only take what you can manage.

What do you think is going through the adcom's mind here?  'Look at all these extra courses BBQ took... that brought down his/her GPA.'

Edited by acetylcholine

Hey, Y'all. Let's do this thang.

Undergrad Institution: Top 100 (or somethin') public skool.
Major(s): Microbiology.
Minor(s): Art, Music.
GPA in Major: 3.75
Overall GPA: 3.78
Position in Class: No idea.
Type of Student: Domestic, WASPy dood.

GRE Scores:

To be determined . . . probably pretty bad, admittedly.

Research Experience: 3 Research Fellowships; one at home institution (molecular genetics), two at big-name research institutes (vaccine design + innate immunity and vaccinology, respectively).

2 years in molecular biology + prokaryotic genetics at University. Senior honors thesis in innate immunity + bioengineering. ( = 3 years experience by graduation.)

5 or 6 presentations /  posters--one at a national conference.

No publications. Womp womp.

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Lots o' random-ass scholarships and awards from my university; 2014 Goldwater Scholarship (holla).

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: Tutoring in mol. and cell. biology; some work related to science communication and education.

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help:  I play a mean fiddle.

Special Bonus Points: Worked with a couple of well-connected PIs. My devilish good looks.

Any Other Info. That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter: Let's hope not.

Applying to Where:

Theme . . . GO BIG OR GO HOME(LESS).

WashU - DBBS
Harvard - BBS or Virology
MIT - Biology
Johns Hopkins - CMM
Stanford - Microbiology and Immunology
Yale - MMPP
Penn - CMB
Scripps
UCSD - Biomed.
NIH-Georgetown
NIH-Johns Hopkins
NIH-OxCam

Well this is terrible news. I've been avoiding a master's program since my late thesis advisor and PI advised against it.

If that GPA wont get past you guys, what chance to I have at an admissions panel.

Well this is terrible news. I've been avoiding a master's program since my late thesis advisor and PI advised against it.

If that GPA wont get past you guys, what chance to I have at an admissions panel.

Your best bet is to apply to a combination of PhDs and MS programs -- if you get into a PhD program great, but if you only have luck with masters, then at least you're doing something to improve your strength as a candidate. I also went via the masters route and found it super beneficial, as others have noted.

Edited by Gvh

You never know until you try, gurl. I say GO FOR IT. I mean, you've clearly demonstrated that you're capable of producing good work (via your badass stint @ MIT and mutliple publications) and will probably get some good reccomendatinos. Of course, I'm not an admissions rep., but I don't see why a program shouldn't take you just because you got some shittay grades when you were 18.

You can surely walk the walk. Now make those bastards accept you.

Not to discredit the notion of going to a master's program, I just might not be able to afford it among other things I've definitely overlooked. I dont even know which schools offers a Masters degree in Neuro!

I'm sure alot of people can vouch for a master's degree once they've completed one but I'm very uncertain now if that is what I need to do. And quite honestly this response is a big surprise to me.

Edited by Yuanyang

Not to discredit the notion of going to a master's program, I just might not be able to afford it among other things I've definitely overlooked. I dont even know which schools offers a Masters degree in Neuro!

I'm sure alot of people can vouch for a master's degree once they've completed one but I'm very uncertain now if that is what I need to do. And quite honestly this response is a big surprise to me.

Depending on where you work, you might be able to take a grad level class or two to show that you can handle those level of classes. Some research institutes/universities will cover the cost for you as well. This may not help you this year, but in the future. Also consider the Subject GRE. If you kick ass on that you can show that you know the subject material well. Neuro programs are more competitive than other Biology programs, fyi....

On 7/16/2014 at 3:53 PM, shostakovich13 said:

Applying to Where:

WashU - DBBS

MIT - Biology

Johns Hopkins - CMM

Yale - MMPP

Penn - CMB

Scripps

UCSD - Biomed.

NIH-Georgetown

NIH-Johns Hopkins

NIH-OxCam

Man, all of those are a crapshoot for everybody.  Ever tried Michigan or UT Houston or something?

Your best bet is to apply to a combination of PhDs and MS programs -- if you get into a PhD program great, but if you only have luck with masters, then at least you're doing something to improve your strength as a candidate. I also went via the masters route and found it super beneficial, as others have noted.

That's kind of what I'm thinking, apply to PhD programs of interest and if it doesn't work look at some masters degree.

If you really have your heart set on it, I would apply anyway. Just throw in some masters programs as well. Sometimes some of these schools will offer you admission into their masters program if you do not get selected for their phd programs. Sometimes you have to tune out the peanut gallery and do what you think is best. We have no idea what these adcoms are interested in. I was amazed to be accepted to some of my programs, and a bit puzzled by my rejection from others. You miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Insert additional Inspiratikn quote here.

On 7/16/2014 at 3:53 PM, shostakovich13 said:

WashU - DBBS

MIT - Biology

Johns Hopkins - CMM

Yale - MMPP

Penn - CMB

Scripps

UCSD - Biomed.

NIH-Georgetown

NIH-Johns Hopkins

NIH-OxCam

I was accepted to two and am currently attending one of your programs. Good luck and let me know if you have any questions!

Generally, your GPA in your major is calculated by calculating the GPA using only courses listed in that department.

However, taking the maximum possible number of credits each semester, especially if it includes courses not related to your major, program, or degree requirements, is really really bad time management.  It doesn't matter if it's one-price-fits-all.  You only take what you can manage.

What do you think is going through the adcom's mind here?  'Look at all these extra courses BBQ took... that brought down his/her GPA.'

Well, it has already been done.  One of the programs I got in touch with after the rejection letter came in "last year" cited my lack of an explanation regarding undergraduate courses, low GPA, and so on in my SOP.  I took a chance and decided not to include that info with that SOP.  I was told by the program director there was a chance I would have been admitted to the Masters program had I took the time to explain.  I was wait listed to a another program, but according to the PI-my contact to that program-it was my GRE quant score combined with some low grades freshman and sophomore years that ultimately led them to say no. 

I dunno...it all made sense to me at the time.

Edited by Crucial BBQ

Hello everyone-First post, hoping to get quality feed back about all this stuff. 

Undergrad Institution: Highly Ranked Public School, strong bio programs
Major(s): Molecular Biology
Minor(s):
GPA in Major: 3.9 Upper Div, 3.69 total
Overall GPA: 3.45
Position in Class: Not Sure. Above average but not quite near top. 
Type of Student: Domestic, nothing notable or interesting about my demographics. 

GRE Scores (revised/old version): Have not taken yet, practice tests I have been scoring 75-85 percentile
Q:
V:
W:
B:

Research Experience: 5 months at a hospital research lab doing immunology. By time of application 2.5 years of bacterial pathogenesis research at home institution. 1 regional poster presentation, 1 university wide. 1 oral presentation university wide. Enrolling in honors thesis in the fall. 

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: 2 summer fellowships to do research at my home institution. 
Pertinent Activities or Jobs: Worked in a public health clinic for 2 years during undergrad. 

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help: GPA is an upward trend. I have done very well in upper div vs lower div ones. 

Special Bonus Points: Recommenders have a lot of connections at the schools I am applying to. I don't know how much this really means but I'd like to think it helps a bit. 

Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter:

Applying to Where: I want a good range of schools both geographically and admissions wise.I'm applying to mostly umbrella programs but gearing my application towards working in host-pathogen interactions. Please let me know what you think of this list and if I should consider some other schools!

Harvard-BBS

UPenn-CAMB.

Rockefeller

BCM-MVM/umbrella

UW-MCB

WashU-DBBS

UTSW-Basic Science

UCSF-BMS

NYU-Sackler

Tufts-Merge ID/Microbio

Emory-IMP

On 7/16/2014 at 9:53 PM, VLSB4Life said:

Hello everyone-First post, hoping to get quality feed back about all this stuff. 

Undergrad Institution: Highly Ranked Public School, strong bio programs

Major(s): Molecular Biology

Minor(s):

GPA in Major: 3.9 Upper Div, 3.69 total

Overall GPA: 3.45

Position in Class: Not Sure. Above average but not quite near top. 

Type of Student: Domestic, nothing notable or interesting about my demographics. 

GRE Scores (revised/old version): Have not taken yet, practice tests I have been scoring 75-85 percentile

Q:

V:

W:

B:

Research Experience: 5 months at a hospital research lab doing immunology. By time of application 2.5 years of bacterial pathogenesis research at home institution. 1 regional poster presentation, 1 university wide. 1 oral presentation university wide. Enrolling in honors thesis in the fall. 

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: 2 summer fellowships to do research at my home institution. 

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: Worked in a public health clinic for 2 years during undergrad. 

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help: GPA is an upward trend. I have done very well in upper div vs lower div ones. 

Special Bonus Points: Recommenders have a lot of connections at the schools I am applying to. I don't know how much this really means but I'd like to think it helps a bit. 

Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter:

Applying to Where: I want a good range of schools both geographically and admissions wise.I'm applying to mostly umbrella programs but gearing my application towards working in host-pathogen interactions. Please let me know what you think of this list and if I should consider some other schools!

Harvard-BBS

UPenn-CAMB.

Rockefeller

BCM-MVM/umbrella

UWash-MCB

WashU-DBBS

UTSW-Basic Science

UCSF-BMS

NYU-Sackler

Tufts-Merge ID/Microbio

Emory-IMP

Which BCM "umbrella?" There are more than one. :P

I like your list; I applied to a few of those.

Your stats look a lot like mine; as long as you do decently on your GRE and really push your research experience, I imagine you'll be fine.

Which BCM "umbrella?" There are more than one. :P

I like your list; I applied to a few of those. Be careful with UWash. They don't take very many students! One of my interview buddies us at Penn and he loves it there.

Your stats look a lot like mine; as long as you do decently on your GRE and really push your research experience, I imagine you'll be fine.

Thanks for the encouragement! I am planning on applying to the integrative molecular and biomedical sciences program (IMBS), I forgot that BCM had 4 "umbrella" programs.  

I think people overestimate the importance of gre scores

i think the exact opposite - i feel that people UNDERESTIMATE their gre scores. unfortunately i did not get accepted to any of the programs that I applied to, i spoke with professors and admissions at most of the programs that I applied to and the common thing i was told that held me back/want to see improved was my gre scores. advice coming from someone whose application process didnt go too well - EVERYTHING COUNTS, dont underestimate any part of your application because although you have worked hard to get where you are, there is someone with a stellar application and you will unfortunately be compared to them. i did not at all think i would be rejected from every school i applied to and neither did my advisors, but it happened, and unfortunately it may happen to you too - but apply smart, dont apply to only top 10 apply to a spectra of schools and programs, and if you dont get what you want, dont wallow in pity - take some time to let it sink in (i made sure to have some time for myself after this ordeal because honestly, it does hurt) but use it as your motivation to come back with an even stronger application.

best of luck to everyone!