confused

frisian

Hi

So I recently took the GRE and I had a score of 312

Q 152

V160

I've never really been good in math. Applying to microbiology programs phd

Here's the problem my main hope and favorite school wants GRE minimum scores of 153 v. 153Q. I had (152q 160v)

My next best option wants a minimum of 314 In the Gre combined (I had 312)

I really don't want to go through the emotional stress I had to go through to wrote the first GRE. Besides I'm not sure I can afford it right (long story)

Should I strike these schools off my list?? Or should I apply nonetheless despite my scores. Thank you

Edited by frisian

That really depends on your other qualifications. What is your gpa? What kind of research experience do you have?

As for those two schools, if a school lists a minimum GRE score, they generally use that score to thin the application pile. I would still email the department and ask just in case.

That really depends on your other qualifications. What is your gpa? What kind of research experience do you have?

As for those two schools, if a school lists a minimum GRE score, they generally use that score to thin the application pile. I would still email the department and ask just in case.

GPA 3.6 IU bloomington

Extensive research experience. Taught as an undergraduate.

Worked as an intern in 2 research labs for a year.

However, No paper published so far

^ Great, but that doesn't solve your problem.

What exactly is so stressful about doing the GRE? It is a standardized test of high school level math and some mid to high level vocab. 

I guess I am questioning your commitment to your applications. If you can't retake a measly GRE because of a poor math score, what does that say for your applications, or even more, your future as a doctoral candidate? It seems like you are more set on doing the bare minimum rather than improving your weak spots in your application. 

A 152 for a science Ph.D. application is very low. 

I scored a 160/148 my first try a few years ago. What am I doing? 5-6 months of intensive study to raise it an acceptable level. All I am saying is if you are not willing to commit to improving your application (and not just GRE) then you will get beat out by others who were. And trust me, there are dozens of people who are putting in the effort. 

You should retake it. I am in the sciences and retook due to my 161Q and ended up raising it to 168. Honestly, >160 could almost be seen as a minimum in the sceinces and most applicants will probably apply with >165. You can definitely get this score... its just high school math that you need to refresh on. If will take some study time though.

Thanks guys.

I'll register to retake the GRE right away.

However I've already reported my awful scores to my schools..and honestly id prefer if they didn't get to see the awful first quants attempt.

Is there a way I can undo this?