chances for micro/parasitology phd (or ms)?

Shamrock_Frog

Hello,

I graduated in 2010 with BA in biology (at that time the school only offered BA). I didn't know what I wanted to do at the time so I've been working since then. First at an emergency animal hospital (for about 5 years total, also worked there during undergrad) and then at one of the top medical schools in the country.

I am interested in programs for microbiology/parasitology but would also like the opportunity to do some bioinformatics/comp bio type work too.

Stats:
Small, liberal arts undergraduate institution (but has like 90-something % acceptance rate to medical school. I'm not pre-med and never was.)

GRE: Q-152 and V-158, AW-5.5. (I know this is low but it's the second time I've taken it).
uGPA: ~3.3. I took a few post-back classes (physics, technical writing) and programming classes. (GPA might actually be closer to 3.5, but not over). I did undergraduate research (no publications. not many actually publish as undergrad from my university). I also work in a pathology lab at a well known medical school, doing parasitology (and other things: serology/pcr/cbc/chem stuff. I was hired because I knew parasitology)
SUBJECT GRE: I plan on taking the bio one in October.
LORs will be good.

Schools I am looking at: University of Houston, Rice, UT-Austin. BCM. UTMB.  (I currently live in Texas).  U Penn (some the research there seems to be a really good match for my work experience/background). U of Iowa (maybe). U of Nebraska (maybe).

I was planning on applying to phD programs and then if I'm rejected applying to MS. My low GPA is mostly a result of working full time while taking 16-18 hours a semester and supporting a parent who was unable to work at the time. It was a lot to juggle at once, for sure.

Any tips or advice? Any universities you'd recommend or not?

Thanks.

BA versus BS means approximately nothing. Your undergrad GPA shouldn't be a hinderance, it's above the typical cut offs and you have work history going for you. There's no need to apologize for it. Your GRE scores are what I think is the weakest part of your application, but if you're already done it twice short of finding a new study method for the quantitative section there's not a lot you can do.

If you're currently at a pathology lab do you plan on trying to get into that university's graduate program? I imagine that your connections with the professors there will only help you.

• 3 years later...

I wanted to be enrolled in fall-18. Parasitology was my major subject in MS. Now I want to pursue Ph.D. in molecular biology. My profile is given below. I need some suggestions about university selection.

If there is any possibility, please help me.

TIA

My profile...

BS (CGPA) : 3.86/4

MS (GPA) : 3.77/4

GRE (V/Q/W) : 150/161/3

IELTS : RESULT TO BE PUBLISHED (EXPECTING 7)

PUBLICATION : 2