Advice on Political Science Programs?

CH159

Hi all,

I’m new to the forum, and also quite new to the world of graduate schools in general. I am interested in applying for a PhD program in political science, and was hoping for some insight into which programs I can feasibly aim for.

I currently attend a top 20 public university (with a double major in political science and philosophy), and will graduate with a 3.9 GPA. My practice GRE scores have been around the mid to high 160s range. Though I have a relatively diverse range of internships (including with non-profits, some political campaigns, the Carnegie Endowment for International Peace, and the White House), I have absolutely no research experience.

I suppose my main concern is related to the merits of applying to a MA program first, or applying straight to a PhD from undergrad. I’m wary about applying straight from undergrad, particularly as I don’t think I have the academic/intellectual rigor to perform adequately in a doctoral program. Given this lack of research experience, would it be a better idea to apply for a MA or MPP program first? And what would be my admissions prospects if I were to apply to a PhD program from undergrad?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

I suppose my main concern is related to the merits of applying to a MA program first, or applying straight to a PhD from undergrad. I’m wary about applying straight from undergrad, particularly as I don’t think I have the academic/intellectual rigor to perform adequately in a doctoral program. Given this lack of research experience, would it be a better idea to apply for a MA or MPP program first? And what would be my admissions prospects if I were to apply to a PhD program from undergrad?

I can't speak for MAs, but MPPs are not designed as a stepping stone to a PhD. They are professional programs intended to prepare people for jobs in public policy or administration, not for academia.

Without any research experience, it would be tough to get admitted straight into a Ph.D. program. You don't have any at all? Did you not do an honour thesis?

And if you don't think you are ready, an MA can provide lots of opportunities to see if that path is right for you and get research experience. 

Sorry, I should have been clearer with my first post.

samiam: I think that's why I'm actually more interested in a MPP rather than a MA? I'd like to enroll in a PhD program eventually, but it's more with the intent of working in the public sector rather than in academia. 

And victorydance: I did write a honors thesis, but I guess when I say that I don't have any research experience at all, I meant that I haven't really been involved in anything that was focused solely on research (such as with a professor). I've had some brief assignments helping out with research for internships here and there, but not anything substantive enough to adequately prepare for me for a PhD.

Yeah, but do you know what your research interests are?

Vaguely, but I'd be interested in the campaign finance component of US elections. It's really not concrete enough to form anything like a research proposal, and I thought it might be more beneficial to enroll in an MA program beforehand. 

Yeah, judging by the lack of research experience and not knowing how to frame a research question, I don't think you are ready for a Ph.D. 

In fact, I am not sure if a Ph.D. is necessarily a goal right now, maybe down the road.

If you are interested in the public sector, a Ph.D. might not really be necessary. If you want to continue working in campaigns and win a job because of a winning ticket, you don't really need a Ph.D. to do that. On the other hand, it can come in handy for example if you beefed up your statistical analysis skills and trained yourself in polling or something that might be valuable to campaign managers. 

If you aren't interested in academia at all, a Ph.D. might not be the best choice. It is a large commitment and training curve to be ruling out it's primary focus: research.

Whether you choose a MA or a MPP is a different matter. I am not too well versed in MPP programs, but the key decision here is to find programs where you can learn skills that will help you out in what career path you are interested in. Neither will give you a spot automatically, but they both come with their advantages and disadvantages. There are lots of people who work on campaigns and find public sector jobs with masters of arts and MPP degrees. An MPP probably gives you a greater arsenal of skills and is more policy oriented, while a MA is more research oriented. 

Yeah, judging by the lack of research experience and not knowing how to frame a research question, I don't think you are ready for a Ph.D. 

In fact, I am not sure if a Ph.D. is necessarily a goal right now, maybe down the road.

If you are interested in the public sector, a Ph.D. might not really be necessary. If you want to continue working in campaigns and win a job because of a winning ticket, you don't really need a Ph.D. to do that. On the other hand, it can come in handy for example if you beefed up your statistical analysis skills and trained yourself in polling or something that might be valuable to campaign managers. 

If you aren't interested in academia at all, a Ph.D. might not be the best choice. It is a large commitment and training curve to be ruling out it's primary focus: research.

Whether you choose a MA or a MPP is a different matter. I am not too well versed in MPP programs, but the key decision here is to find programs where you can learn skills that will help you out in what career path you are interested in. Neither will give you a spot automatically, but they both come with their advantages and disadvantages. There are lots of people who work on campaigns and find public sector jobs with masters of arts and MPP degrees. An MPP probably gives you a greater arsenal of skills and is more policy oriented, while a MA is more research oriented. 

Great, this was very helpful. I appreciate it!