Where to start? Trying to get organized...

KyleMcD

Hi everyone,

I'm a rising junior and I have been advised by a couple of professors to start contacting potential graduate school PI's now.  (I go to a smaller university and really know these professors on a personal level, so I trust their advice.) However, I'm beginning to feel overwhelmed by the process of looking for schools and programs, and then looking at all of the faculty's research interests, and then keeping track of whose research I am interested in. 

So, I'm wondering if anyone has any tips for keeping organized as I begin this journey. Like I said, I'm only a rising junior - so I won't be actually applying until over a year from now. But I'm sure getting organized and starting now won't hurt. (I'll be doing this next semester abroad in Madagascar, so grad school won't really be on my mind then!)

Thanks for any advice!

Rising junior. The reason I was told for beginning to contact professors now was mainly to let them know my interest (but like you said, they probably won't have any idea who I am in a year) but also to see about any summer research opportunities they may have. I've been doing research at my university since October (including full-time summer research), so getting a summer research opportunity with a potential PI isn't absolutely vital - but it would certainly be nice!

I have been debating on whether or not I want to contact faculty for this phd application season or not (I am working on my MS now).

That advice isnt horrible though... I actually contacted faculty my junoir year of undergrad since I didnt know enough about the application process to "follow the rules." I ended up changing my plans and taking some time off after undergrad, instead of going straight into a phd. I actually ended up getting a REU at a top 20 school, despite a 3.3 GPA, since one of the faculty members who I had contacted took some interest in my research experience.

Contacting now can't hurt but I would try to make your intentions clear. In the email, I would explain that you are only a rising junior but are contacting early to inquire about research experiences next summer but want to eventually apply to the phd program. If they don't ahve any positions then it may still give you an advantage since you can contact them again the following summer to tell them to expect your application and having heard from your twice may make you a bit more memorable.

It's not necessarily a bad idea to network with other professors outside your university, even if they have no idea if they are taking in students two years from now. Establishing that the professors' interests overlap yours can be important.

As for summer research opportunities with a POI: it's possible (it worked out for me), but I've found that it take some luck and skill. My PI gets 10-11 emails a week about volunteering in his lab and there's a long list of accepted volunteers waiting for something to do. And he isn't an extremely famous professor either (but behavioural epigenetics is kind of a hot field). So considering that I was a random person from another university (another country, even), I feel extremely lucky on how involved I have been with the lab. At the same time, I think my previous research experience and my specific research interests really helped. The fact that you have previous research experience will help make a good first impression to other professors--it shows you have a level of commitment to research.

Not sure about your field specifically but if you're looking for summer research definitely apply to the CIC SROP which allows you to do a common app to like 10 schools. Also try the Leadership Alliance which allows you to apply to three schools in one app. There are many others, too. I'm doing one of these now at Stanford and am having an amazing time. I got matched up to a great professor in my subfield. Plus they're giving us a GRE class and a weekly seminar on applying!

I'm a rising senior so I was looking into this stuff when I was a rising junior like you. It's never too early to start preparing! If you do contact professors for things other than summer opportunities, just make it clear that you're not in this cycle so they don't waste time right now checking you out (that's what I heard but I've yet to contact anyone).

I concur with making an excel sheet. Also, if you read a lot of articles, summarize them in an excel sheet so that you can remember and organize all the POI research.

Edit: Madagascar?! That's extremely cool. Have fun!

Edited by VulpesZerda

• 2 weeks later...

First off, I'd recommend maybe waiting until this coming spring to touch base with some professors.  You'd be after the current year applicants and it would be more natural that you are thinking 6 months ahead.  then you can touch base again in mid to late summer as you are beginning your actual applications months prior.  I am not really touching the research situation that this regards but if there is someone you'd like to work with this next summer then by all means contact them whenever you'd like.

As for organization, I found it was key.  I got a binder or you could even use a notebook and make tabs and I wrote down each school.  Then made a checklist for each school since they may all have different "to do" items at different times.  For example, some just want an unofficial transcript during application and others require you send an official one.  I checked off these things and the dates that I did them so I knew it was done.  This is also where I would scratch the profs I was interested in and do a short summery.  I would rank maybe 10 or so, that way I can go back and read them more in depth if I'd like to review my most interested ones.  Also kind of nice for when the interview emails came and they asked for a list of your interested faculty.  Just get a system that you can put in place easily and follow.  It was nice to have a section for each school just to keep track of the passwords and usernames I used.  Things start to mush together so its good to have it in easy reference for any "when was that deadline again?' moments.

• 2 weeks later...