People Who Applied and Got Rejected Then Applied Again and Got Accepted?

KAMALAGRAD

My apologies if there is already a thread like this, but I didn't see one. I thought this would be a good thread to get some positivity out there. 

I thought it would be best to just the exact same school. Where perhaps you applied one season and got rejected and then applied however much time later and got accepted. I haven't heard of this happening that much as it applies to grad school, but I'm hoping this thread shines a light on some cases where it has happened.

I don't have my own story to share as far as grad school goes as I only had one season of applying to schools. However, I did get rejected from one school for undergraduate that I got into for graduate school, USC. So that's something :)

Well give me eight more months and I will provide some stories of my own.  

I do know of a professor (who wrote many LORs on my behalf) who claims he applied to the same graduate program three years in a row.  According to him a professor in the program he was applying to recognized his name and realized that it was for the third year in a row he has applied.  He said the prof mentioned to him thinking something along the lines of Well, this guy is persistent.  I'll give him a chance.; and made sure he was admitted that year. 

I got rejected from all universities my first time around (although I did manage to land an interview) in 2013. I was pretty beat up about it. I spent the next year doing research, contacting professors and honing my application a little. It paid off - I was admitted into an excellent program a few months ago. Honestly, my failure the first time can be attributed to my cluelessness about what Phd programs were looking for - I treated it as though it were a more rigorous version of the undergrad application process (which is rather more like what applying to med school is like).

I've heard rumors that go both ways.

"Wow what a persistent student, hes got the right attitude alright!"

"Wow this guy can't take a hint, totally the wrong attitude" 

etc etc.

• 3 weeks later...

I applied to one MA program and was rejected. I took a few classes there as a non-degree student, and gained another year of experience working in my field. When I applied again a year later, I was accepted and awarded a scholarship.