New guy here would like some sage advice :)

SeekHeart

Hi I'm new around here and have been wondering what to do since I graduated last year.

Currently I am working at a research institute at Harvard Medical school and am planning on applying to grad school in the year 2016. I've recently taken the GREs and my scores are less than Ideal (156/151 M/V) and my undergrad gpa <3.0 so I'm a bit worried as to whether or not I can get in to grad school. Ultimately I'd like to do a phd but I am dubious as to whether or not I'll even have a shot. Any advice would be very helpful and thank you.

Forgot to mention I wanted to apply for a Molecular Biology or a Computer-Bio related field.

Edited by SeekHeart

With a sub 3.0 gpa you're going tho have to do something tho stand out and those gre scores aren't good enough, at least for a PhD. You may have to do a masters first and excel at it to have a chance at a PhD.

• 4 weeks later...

If you're working with HMS, look into using some of the educational reimbursements while you work there.  While your GPA is not optimal, taking either graduate level courses or any relevant courses will definitely help you improve your application.  I've heard others say on the forum that if their GPA was low, taking the subject test (and getting a high score) helped them overcome the low GPA.

If the job you're at is where you want to be (as in, it is relevant to your future research area), talk with your supervisor(s) and set some professional goals you want to accomplish by 2016.  You should be having a frank discussion of what your career goals are, and see how this job can help you get to the next step.  Something like leading a project or increasing your participation in said project, getting a publication or two by the end of it all, etc.

(This is assuming you have a good working relationship with your supervisor/PI)

Hi I'm new around here and have been wondering what to do since I graduated last year.

Currently I am working at a research institute at Harvard Medical school and am planning on applying to grad school in the year 2016. I've recently taken the GREs and my scores are less than Ideal (156/151 M/V) and my undergrad gpa <3.0 so I'm a bit worried as to whether or not I can get in to grad school. Ultimately I'd like to do a phd but I am dubious as to whether or not I'll even have a shot. Any advice would be very helpful and thank you.

Forgot to mention I wanted to apply for a Molecular Biology or a Computer-Bio related field.

Your main issue is that you have yet to apply anywhere.  What I mean by that is that you have not received a rejection letter and have not been in contact with a program regarding your application.  Of course you have also not been accepted.  Without actually applying you have now way to really determine what parts of your application are strong and what parts are deficient.  

I my GPA is low.  So are my GRE scores.  I applied to graduate programs last year and was rejected by all.  One program stated that I had a strong SOP and LORs, yet were concerned about a few grades and low GRE quant score.  Another program was confused by my SOP, claiming that I did not sufficiently state my case for pursuit of a Ph.D. They said that had I mentioned my low[er] GPA in my SOP they would have considered me for their Masters program.  They made no mention of the GRE.  The main concern with both of these programs were that I may not have been ready for graduate-level courses.  One suggested I prove myself with a graduate level course or two, one suggested that I take more analytical courses to prove myself that way, and one simply suggested retaking the GRE and scoring higher in quant.  

My undergraduate research experience was/is solid, so there were no concerns of my ability in the lab or with research...just with the initial course work. 

I was also wait listed to a program, but didn't get in because of GRE score.  

So, without having applied I never would have known how to improve my chances next time nor would I have realized how close I came despite my "low" GPA and GRE:  further strengthening my belief that a) numbers are just numbers, and, b ) you never really know what the adcoms are looking for.  

Since you are not applying until 2015/2016, I would suggest retaking the GRE as you have plenty of time to prepare.  I would also suggest taking at least one higher level math course and/or some computer programming courses at a local community college. Lastly, I would suggest really getting to know those you are working with at HMS and push to do more "advanced" stuff if you can.  Depending on what you are doing at HMS, your experience will more-than-likely trump the GPA. 

Edited by Crucial BBQ

If there's no reason that you earned < 3.0 in your undergrad, I would highly suggest a MS or at least graduate coursework.

Like others have said, you've also got plenty of time to retake your GRE. I Studied for about 80 hrs over 3-4 months and I am normally pretty good at standardized tests. If you're just working a 9-5 right now, I'm guessing you could do the same. I assume you studied before the first exam, so the second time should allow you to focus more on your weaknesses.

IF your U-GPA is the only weak point of your application (GRE, SOP, LOR, research experience are all good) you could probably get an acceptance. Just pick mostly safety schools unless you can improve your GPA.

This probably didn't sound that cheerful, but don't be disheartened. The fact that you're on here 2 years early means you've got plenty of time to put your best foot forward when you actually apply.

• 2 weeks later...

In terms of relationships with my super visor, it isn't great because he doesn't even like me (knew since day 1). However, a new post doc recently joined and though we had a shaky start I believe he knows me a lot better than my Boss because he works with me everyday. Though because of my boss, I have trust issues and constantly think people have a hidden agenda.

I know that if I ask my U-Profs they would write good things about me, but if grad school programs ask about my job life, I'm afraid it'll be sour...