The 3.0 GPA cutoff - how serious is that?

Read_books

While looking at MSW programs, almost all programs have a 3.0 GPA cut-off. Is that the absolute lowest? 

Would a low GPA, (2.8), average GRE scores, great LOR, and a few years of good work experience count for anything?

People always suggest taking more classes to raise your GPA, how do you do this if you've already graduated? 

If the minimum requirements for the GRADUATE SCHOOL, not the department, is 3.0, which it is many, then it is very serious. Not to say you can't get past it, but often GPA is a way to get your awesome LOR read.  Remember, its both the department and the graduate school that admits you, so to get past the graduate school approval, you need a real appeal from the department to get you in. Perhaps its different for an MSW than other programs, but while people have done it, the vast vast vast vast majority of graduate students have over a undergraduate gpa.\

If you want to raise your GPA: Retake the classes that you got a low grade in or take more classes and get As in them. Thats how your raise the average score. 

Edited by GeoDUDE!

If the minimum requirements for the GRADUATE SCHOOL, not the department, is 3.0, which it is many, then it is very serious. Not to say you can't get past it, but often GPA is a way to get your awesome LOR read.  Remember, its both the department and the graduate school that admits you, so to get past the graduate school approval, you need a real appeal from the department to get you in. Perhaps its different for an MSW than other programs, but while people have done it, the vast vast vast vast majority of graduate students have over a undergraduate gpa.\

If you want to raise your GPA: Retake the classes that you got a low grade in or take more classes and get As in them. Thats how your raise the average score. 

Thanks! To take classes and get As, can it be any classes anywhere? Can they be online classes? I cannot go back to my undergrad institution because of distance.

GPA is just part of the picture that programs look at. Most programs I have seen require GRE scores for those under 3.0 in order to help bolster it. MSW programs look at much more than GPA. Work/volunteer experience, LOR, and personal statement are all considered. I would say that out of many grad school programs, MSW programs don't weight GPA as heavily as other programs. I am sure at the very top tier schools like Michigan or Columbia GPA may matter more since they get a ton of applicants. If you search this message board you'll find many people get into programs with GPAs below 3.0. Don't worry about prestige unless you want to obtain a PhD and become a professor. Going to an accredited program and having relevant field placements are what is important.

Personally, I only applied to one school: Ohio State. I had a 3.04 undergrad GPA (3.5 last two years/60 credits) and no direct social work experience. I obtained solid LOR and explained how my work experience in retail and experience in my personal life motivated me to obtain my MSW.

Social Work is a field where individual experiences and circumstance matters. Schools don't necessarily want everyone with a 3.8 GPA. MSW programs "love" to see stories where someone didn't have a high GPA because they had to work two jobs to support family, or other reasons. It's experiences like that which make great social workers, not necessarily good grades.

Edited by Kristopher

Oh, I've got a good "GPA" story haha.

Yes, I'm not concerned with prestige, I'm concerned with getting in! How are you liking OSU? One of my LOR is a professor from the MSW program, and my other LOR is a professor who completed his undergrad there and his Dad is a professor there. (LOL it's honestly just random coincidences.) I've been told if I raise my GPA to a 3.0, I'd most likely be accepted. OSU is not as attractive to me though... I want to stay west.

It's just hard to rationalize paying for classes to raise my GPA when my workload is currently insane. Plus I can't take classes at my undergrad so I don't even know if extra classes would count.

I love Ohio State. The program has a great array of classes that reach all areas of social work. Columbus is a wonderful city with lots to do. The city and surrounding suburbs are very affordable compared to many places in America. I couldn't have picked a better program. California has great schools for social work, but the cost of living is too high for me to live out there on a social work salary (plus teacher salary since my wife is a teacher).

I wouldn't worry about taking classes to raise your GPA yet. Apply to schools and see what happens. 2.8 isn't terrible and I think it could be a potential waste of money and time to retake classes simply to get over 3.0. If you have a "good" story that can help a lot.

Thank you for the advice! It's great to hear that about OSU.

I agree about the potential waste of money with extra classes... Honestly, it's just terrifying because I'm ready to be in school now.I didn't apply this year (even though I wanted to) because I felt I couldn't leave my job... So the thought of applying, getting turned down, and waiting another year is nerve wracking. But thanks for the advice!

Of the 8 schools I have applied to and heard back from (still waiting on 1), I got accepted to 4 of them with an overall GPA of 2.8... However, my "bad" grade years were my lower division courses over 10 years ago.  I just finished my undergrad with a 3.2 GPA in my major, so I think that helped (some schools only focus on your last 60 units).  I didn't have a school that requested my GRE scores, and thank god for that (it wasn't very good).  But, I have been working as a clinical counselor (addictions) for 2 years, so I'm thinking that helped.

I, too, was worried about my GPA, but like many other people said, for Social Work they look at the overall person.  I applied to a bunch of schools because I was worried I wouldn't get in to any of them.  But lucky for me, I was able to actually chose which one I wanted to attend.  Then again, I am doing my MSW online, so that may be a little bit different. 

Good luck!