Do I have any chance at all?

amandafinlaw

This is my first post here, so hello everyone!

Basically, I'm trying to figure out what my chances are of getting into English Literature PhD programs. I'm going into my last year of Undergrad & will be applying to start Fall 2015. I'm looking at 12 programs right now, ranging from top schools like Stanford and Harvard to somewhat less prestigious programs like UD and John's Hopkins.

I currently go to a small liberal arts school in PA. I have a 3.87 GPA with a 3.9 major GPA (which corresponds with the programs I'm applying to). I have presented a literary paper at an academic conference and have journalism articles published (which isn't entirely relevant but still somewhat useful, hopefully?).  I'm working on a writing sample from a 20 page paper and I'll have help from one of my professors with that too. I'm thinking that I'll have great recs. I'm also involved in many clubs & have worked part time jobs throughout my undergrad career, but I doubt that's relevant.

I'm taking the GRE on Monday the 21st and I'm aiming for a 166 Verbal. I'm not sure if I'll achieve that but I've been ranging between 160 and 168ish on practice tests. I've been getting tutored privately for the past 3 months and I think that has helped some. Does anyone who has applied to Lit programs know how much the math score matters? I also feel pretty confident about the analytical section and I think I can score at least a 5. I'd appreciate any last minute tips to boost my scores though!

I want feedback on what I should expect when I apply. Do I have a shot at the more prestigious programs? I'll apply to them regardless, but I'd like to have a sense of where I stand. Any feedback is appreciated!

I'm not in your field but nobody else has commented so I will. Your gpa is very good and it sounds like your writing experience will be a positive addition. At least in my field the gre is more used to weed people out and actually doesn't seem to be that important. Either way your projected verbal score looks good. I can't speak to how your field views the quantitative score but I have a hard time seeing it as something important. I've at least had English professors with an embarrassingly poor grasp on math so it would strike me as bizarre for them to expect future scholars to be that skilled at it.

Okay, as I was reading I was expecting you to say, "...But..." followed by something that will throw off your applications. What are you worried about? No one on here can know where you will and won't get in. You obviously have a good chance. It's good that you're including top programs because too many people sell themselves short. Just select programs by research match and you will be fine. I guess for now, work on that, and look for letter writers. I'm not in your field but I would assume you don't need a stellar math GRE to get into an English program.