Online Study Program/Retaking GRE Later

KenBesonders

Hello all,

I was a perspective grad student this year and though I got accepted to two fine programs, I have decided to find work experience before entering advanced education to enhance my finances and my viability as a candidate. (International relations)

I took the GRE twice through a course of about three and a half months. First time I barely studied at all and took one practice exam. The second time I tried to brush up on my vocab with online flashcards, took three practice exams and read some extra GRE guides.

My score the first time was V156/Q148/AW4. Second time round I scored V156Q148/AW5.5.

Though I was disappointed that the first two didn't change, I felt better about the excellent writing score.

Now that I am going to be taking around two years to build some work experience, I was wondering what are some affordable but effective GRE prep programs that can be used online. I have been taking notice to Magoosh since it is relatively affordable and seems to have good reviews. Manhattan seems superb but highly expensive.

Right now I am leaning towards Magoosh but I welcome the input of anyone who is experienced with these programs or ways for improving GRE scores.

I used Magoosh, both their online practice questions and also the free vocab app. Here are my before and after scores. The before scores are from practice tests but I was getting similar scores on all the practice tests I was taking.

Before:

153V, 163Q

After (actual test):

162V, 168Q

I studied vocab for around 30min-1 hour a week (divided between a few days) and did practice questions on their site for around 2 hours a week. I kept this schedule for 3.5 months. I highly recommend it!