Buying books immediately or waiting?

So I am sitting here calculating and so far a few of my classes have made their book list.  The 2 classes that have made the list, the books come up to $411.00 (all used) I still have 2 more classes that will likely list books. I am panicking because I don't have that kind of money yet. I know I will get a big chunk with my loan refund and I could just take out a small amount in grad plus loans to cover this then pay it back when I get my loan refund, but I really want to avoid loans, I got a full tuition scholarship and I am taking out about 16,000 for living expenses.  However, I like being prepared for my classes you know? So the idea of having to wait until I get my refund (which the person I spoke to said the latest would be Sept 5th) and not getting the books until the second week bothers me, especially when there will likely be readings and assignments. I also have to consider shipping time.  I am kind of freaking out about this.  Any suggestions? 

Edited by LittleDarlings

Look at renting the books.

I was just doing the same thing with my books and renting the books will cost me no more than 150.00 whereas buying them will cost me over 500.00. There is also the option of getting as an E-book.

Also ask the professor if an early edition is an option. I know in undergrad I was able to do this quite a bit and save some bucks.

Amazon will rent them for a smaller fee than anywhere else I've found. But they're usually for one term (August or so through December) with each additional week costing extra, so I would look into it now but wait to actually rent until closer to the start of term. Also, if you're willing to go the slightly shady (legal-wise) route, you can look for torrents of ebooks.

eta: you can also email your professors asking for their syllabi. That way you can see how often they use the books. If it's just one chapter or a central text, etc. Keep in mind that some books you may really want to purchase if you plan to stay in your field. You can also contact someone else in your program (preferably one who lives nearby) and see if you can split the cost of renting or buying books.

Edited by iphi