Best book/resource for improving Math score ?

ahmadka

Hi guys .. I've done a little bit of revision and practice using the Princeton Review GRE book .. I've practised on the questions in this book, and for some reason I keep misinterpreting questions sometimes, which ultimately makes me solve the question incorrectly on the first try .. If I remove the time constraint, I'm using able to solve the question within the 1st try using my own algebra methods ..

I feel that I probably need to brush up more on some of the tricks you can use to tackle Math questions .. I've already gone through Princeton Review, so I need suggestions on which book to practice from for specifically improving my Math section performance ..

I was able to get a 780/800 in the old GRE 6 years ago (one my first try too), so I'm confident that I can do better ..

Any suggestions ?

I would recommend Manhattan Prep- If there is a specific area or question type you feel you are struggling with, Manhattan has strategy/practice books for each math topic (algebra, fractions/decimals/percents, geometry, number properties, word problems, and quantitative comparison/data interpretation). If you can pinpoint where your issues lie, this is a pretty cheap option ($20/book), and a purchase of any book gives you access to 6 free, full online practice tests that you can take as many times as you want. You can probably also find them elsewhere online for cheaper.

I got the QC/Data Interpretation one because I was struggling with that question type specifically, and I thought it helped me with speed/logical approach/shortcuts/tricks. I'm sure all of their books do the same sort of thing for those different topics. I also found it hugely helpful to have so many full practice tests at my disposal.

http://www.manhattanprep.com/gre/store.cfm

Doesn't Manhattan have just one book which contains everything ?

I don't think I have any specific area where I feel I might be struggling .. It's just an overall thing I believe, which is why I'm probably after a 'one-book-fits-all' solution ..

Yea, they have a 5 lb book of practice problems but I don't know if that will give you the strategy part you're looking for. I think it's just a ton of practice problems, but I don't know because I haven't used it.

Yea, they have a 5 lb book of practice problems but I don't know if that will give you the strategy part you're looking for. I think it's just a ton of practice problems, but I don't know because I haven't used it.

I have a book from Princeton Review which is like that ... I think it has 1007 questions in it or so ... I'm planning to go through it once I feel I've got the basic strategies covered ..

Anything other than Manhattan which might be helpful for the Math part ?

Besides, I don't think Manhattan books are available in my locality .. Haven't seen them here ..

I'm having this same problem! I haven't taken a math class in 5 years and even then it was some basic "Math for Teachers" class. I keep getting all of the practice questions wrong, even though I think I'm following the right strategies. I just came across this website. It seems pretty helpful upon first glance, but I haven't thoroughly looked through it yet so use your own discretion (and let me know what you think!)

http://www.wtamu.edu/academic/anns/mps/math/mathlab/gre/