Funding at Bowling Green (Pop Culture) & Ohio State (Folklore)

TonyB

Hey! So I actually applied to and was accepted to both of those schools last year. However, I applied to the American Culture Studies program at BGSU. I'm not sure if funding is the same for the Pop Culture program, but ACS had a pretty limited amount of funding, which is to be expected for a smaller school I imagine. I was initially waitlisted for an assistantship with them. The people there are super nice and accommodating though, and the DGS worked hard to find other possible funding options. And he did ultimately find one that would have given me a 1 year non-service fellowship to start.

With the English Department OSU, I think pretty much everybody that's accepted gets at least an assistantship that covers tuition and offers a stipend in exchange for teaching one class per semester. And then some people also get offered fellowships for one or more years where they don't have to teach and still get tuition covered plus a bigger stipend. Whether or not somebody is eligible for a particular fellowship depends on test scores and such I believe. 

Toast,

Thanks for the reply!

Yes, I've since spoken to someone at OSU, and apparently their stipend is about $15k a year for MA/MFA students. and they try to fund everyone they admit, at least in the humanities.

As for Bowling Green, I have an email out to them but haven't heard back yet. Can you tell me, by chance, what the stipend/salary on that fellowship was? Also, I'm guessing you didn't actually end up attending BGSU, based on your word choice. Where did you end up?

Ya know Tony, I don't think I ever found out exactly how much the fellowship stipend would be since I didn't end up going through with the fellowship application process. That info may be somewhere on the website, but I'm not sure.

And yeah, there was a lot that I really liked about BGSU, but I ultimately chose OSU. It just felt like the best fit for me, especially after the visit day :D

Did you end up in their English or American/Cultural Studies program?

If my MFA apps don't bear fruit this year (or even if they do, and I decide to go ahead and apply to PhD programs afterward), I'm going to apply for their English/Folklore program. If I get into the MFA program at OSU, I'm going to use my electives to do the Graduate Interdisciplinary Specialization in Folklore.

I'm in the English program. I'm actually taking a Folklore class this fall, and I'm decently excited about it since I've never had a class in that area before. I met some of the MFA folks while I was visiting, and while I don't know much about that aspect of the program myself, they seemed to love it :)

• 2 months later...