HGSE Fall 2015

workink

When searching through past threads, I noticed that each year had a section dedicated to those applying for Harvard's Graduate School of Education.  This fall I will apply to the School Leadership program, hoping to be admitted for fall 2015.  

Let's get this party rolling...

• 1 month later...

The only reason I won't be applying to HGSE is because it doesn't have certification program for my field (music). I would need additional studies beyond HGSE 1-year masters in order to be certified, right?.. Thinking of Columbia TC, but people say TC is a diploma mill? Kinda regretting why I didn't do BEd now. If I had BEd with certification already, HGSE would be my first choice..

• 2 weeks later...

I'll be applying as well and hope to be admitted to Education Policy and Management. I missed last years application season due to some letters of rec snafus so this is the year! I'll be visiting Cambridge in October for the Diversity Recruitment day and all in all really looking forward to getting to know Harvard and Boston. 

Applying to the International Education Policy program!! Currently studying for the GRE.... I know my scores may be low :(

That's what I am afraid of, too. I'm hoping decent scores, strong undergrad GPA, decent law school GPA, and having a juris doctorate will help out subpar GRE scores. I just haven't done math like this in years....

That's what I am afraid of, too. I'm hoping decent scores, strong undergrad GPA, decent law school GPA, and having a juris doctorate will help out subpar GRE scores. I just haven't done math like this in years....

you got a JD? Just curious, do you really need an education degree?

you got a JD? Just curious, do you really need an education degree?

I'm applying to only a few schools and keeping it open as an option. Being from Texas, there is a flood of undocumented students, immigrants, and minorities that are desperate for a change in the field of education. I think the one year masters program in the research strand will help me be able to more readily identify and help prevent the high dropout rates of these students. Being bilingual also helps. Considering it is just one year I think it would help out a lot.

Hi everyone! So glad someone started this thread - I've been reading the past threads and found them very informative. I'm also applying to HGSE for the TIE (Technology, Innovation and Education) program. Took the GRE last week and currently working on my SOP and LOR's. 

I thought I'd borrow the format from the past years' threads to introduce ourselves: 

GRE Score (Revised): V 159 (81 percentile), Q 155 (60 percentile) AWA:4.0 (AWA was my weak point, hope they consider it's a bit harder for us non-native English speakers! :rolleyes: )

GPA: 3.89
Work Experience: Currently and for the past 3 years founder & CEO of an online language-learning company in Brazil with over 350 students, running a team of 35 teachers and Academic Coordinators working 100% remotely; previously founder and Academic Director of an international Spanish language school in Argentina for 4 years, served in the board of the Argentinean Association of Spanish Language schools for 2 years, 8 years of teaching experience (4 online) mostly in foreign language learning for adults. 
Undergrad Institution (Public, Private, Ivy, etc..): International.
Research Experience: Very little, mostly business-related. 
Applying for PhD or Masters: Masters, 2015.
Program: Technology, Innovation and Education.
What Other Schools Are You Applying To: Stanford (LDT), Oxford (L&T). 

Looking forward to talking to other fellow applicants! 

I'm going to apply on Special studies or higher education program. Does anyone know the acceptance rate or number of student accepted in these program each year? 

Thank you

I've read over the years that there is about 50-60 students in each program.

Edited by rhfer

Rhfer, prazer em conhecê-la!  :) I'm actually Argentinean but have been living between São Paulo and Buenos Aires for the past 3 years, as my organization is based in SP.

Your credentials look awesome, too! Don't be scared of the GRE - I found the AW section to be the biggest challenge as a non-native English speaker (mostly due to the time limit). But in the Verbal and Quantitative sections you'll find the exact same type of questions you can find in any GRE prep guide, there are absolutely no surprises. 

I just took it once and since I thought the scores were pretty close to the average scores for admitted students as published on HGSE's website (V 81%ile, Q 64%ile), I decided not to take it again and focus instead on my SOP. I've read almost every HGSE thread in this forum and the general opinion that GRE scores were not the most important determinant of admissibility seemed pretty consistent. 

Also, note that 81%ile and 64%ile are not the cutoff scores, they are the average scores. This means that (most likely, though not necessarily) a significant part of the admitted students scored lower than that. If you have great credentials and relevant work experience (which you seem to have) and you score slightly lower than that, I don't think the GRE scores would matter that much. I just wanted to get it out of the way as soon as possible to concentrate on the rest of the application. 

Great idea to use last year's format to introduce ourselves.  

GRE Score (Revised): V: 167  Q: 164  AWA 4.5 

GPA: 3.98
Work Experience: 14 years working in International Education.  Currently, I am the director of a small international school, which is part of a chain of 35 K-12 schools around the world.   
Undergrad Institution (Public, Private, Ivy, etc..): Private 
Program: School Leadership
What Other Schools Are You Applying To: None

Would anyone be interested in exchanging SOPs for feedback?

Great idea to use last year's format to introduce ourselves.  

GRE Score (Revised): V: 167  Q: 164  AWA 4.5 

GPA: 3.98

Work Experience: 14 years working in International Education.  Currently, I am the director of a small international school, which is part of a chain of 35 K-12 schools around the world.   

Undergrad Institution (Public, Private, Ivy, etc..): Private 

Program: School Leadership

Would anyone be interested in exchanging SOPs for feedback?

Thanks for sharing! I'd love to swap SOPs for feedback, but I'm not even close to finishing a first draft of mine yet - maybe in about a month!  :)

Wow! Awesome! Good luck to everyone! I feel the same awalrus, I am so enamoured with the program, I felt like it was made for me. Haha . Do you have any tips for studying for the GRE?

I primarily used the eight Manhattan study guides and found them very helpful, particularly because they focus on math (my weak point) and they provide six practice tests along the books. I would definitely recommend Manhattan. As for the essays, I'd recommend writing practice essays under timed conditions using some of the topics in the topic pool on the GRE website. If you have less time to prepare, what I found particularly helpful was looking at a some of the topics and practicing coming up with a quick outline of how you would respond (the "thinking of an interesting argument/examples" component of the essay is much trickier than actually writing the thing out, I found). If you have any more questions about preparing for the exam, feel free to private message me.

I primarily used the eight Manhattan study guides and found them very helpful, particularly because they focus on math (my weak point) and they provide six practice tests along the books. I would definitely recommend Manhattan. As for the essays, I'd recommend writing practice essays under timed conditions using some of the topics in the topic pool on the GRE website. If you have less time to prepare, what I found particularly helpful was looking at a some of the topics and practicing coming up with a quick outline of how you would respond (the "thinking of an interesting argument/examples" component of the essay is much trickier than actually writing the thing out, I found). If you have any more questions about preparing for the exam, feel free to private message me.

I;ll look into that! Thanks!

Good luck all!

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Everyone!

Just figured I'd join the party...

GRE Score (Revised): V: 157  Q: 153 AWA 5.0

GPA: 3.72
Work Experience: 8 years working with a parachurch organization dedicated to the mentorship and development of children. 5 years leading a small math tutoring service at my former high school. I had a year-long internship as a naturalist in my university's on-campus nature preserve providing environmental education for park visitors.   
Undergrad Institution (Public, Private, Ivy, etc..): Public
Program: Learning and Teaching

I plan to re-take the GRE to improve my scores. Although not terrible, i feel like i can do much better. I'll be taking it in November.

Hi everyone! I'm applying to the International Education Policy at HGSE!

I wanted to know if anyone with experience in applying to HGSE or current IEP students could give me some advice about my application.

I am a Teach For America alumni and have three years teaching experience at a Title I International Baccalaureate School in New York City. In addition, I hold a leadership position at this school with several accomplishments.  I hold a Bachelors degree with a 3.9 GPA from a renowned state university (graduated with Honors). I also hold a Masters degree in teaching (required for certification). My experiences include working in three different countries for two very well-known non-profit education organization as well as being a teaching assistant at an international university. I have held several fellowships here in the United States and started education programs for three non-profits. I have a 4.5 on the writing portion of the GRE but low in verbal and quant. 

Please let me know if you have any suggestions or feel that I am not qualified for this program. Any advice helps!

I wanted to know if anyone with experience in applying to HGSE or current IEP students could give me some advice about my application.

I am a Teach For America alumni and have three years teaching experience at a Title I International Baccalaureate School in New York City. In addition, I hold a leadership position at this school with several accomplishments.  I hold a Bachelors degree with a 3.9 GPA from a renowned state university (graduated with Honors). I also hold a Masters degree in teaching (required for certification). My experiences include working in three different countries for two very well-known non-profit education organization as well as being a teaching assistant at an international university. I have held several fellowships here in the United States and started education programs for three non-profits. I have a 4.5 on the writing portion of the GRE but low in verbal and quant. 

Please let me know if you have any suggestions or feel that I am not qualified for this program. Any advice helps!

Your credentials are out of this world! If you feel like you're not qualified for this program...I'm not sure how I should feel. I think you're spot on perfect for IEP. 

I also have a question for former IEP'ers. How important is GPA for the admissions team? My weakest point of the application is my GPA and my GRE scores, i'll assume. Hard to study for the GRE while trying to finish school. 

If I was Harvard, I'd accept you!  :lol: I'm no admissions officer, but your experiences are both relevant and diverse. You should submit your application with confidence because you're a very qualified candidate. 

I'm still a senior finishing my undergraduate education, so I don't have any full-time work experiences to list. I have a pretty extensive volunteer history and a passion for education, but I'll need to rely on my SOP to articulate that.

GRE Score (Revised): V: 163  Q: 156  AWA 5.0 

GPA: 3.86 (Major) 3.65 (All college)
Work Experience: 4 years working in educational non-profit; currently, I run an after school program as the site coordinator, managing up to 5 staff and 95 youth in areas of academic support, enrichment activities, and recreation. I am also a Youth Development trainer for my organization for after school staff throughout San Francisco. I train on topics like youth participation, skill building, safety and relationship building, and community involvement. I was a recipient of a leadership award and am now up for Employee of the Year (10 candidates out of about 300 employees).
Undergrad Institution (Public, Private, Ivy, etc..): Public
Program: Human Development and Psychology
What Other Schools Are You Applying To: UCLA (MA in Human Development and Psychology), Stanford (POLS), CSU schools (safety schools)

I also know that my Statement of Purpose is strong and my personal background will help bolster my application. I'm a little worried about my recommenders sending in their letters on time. They are all busy professionals and I don't want to appear annoying. Any advice for any of my credentials?

If I was Harvard, I'd accept you!  :lol: I'm no admissions officer, but your experiences are both relevant and diverse. You should submit your application with confidence because you're a very qualified candidate. 

I'm still a senior finishing my undergraduate education, so I don't have any full-time work experiences to list. I have a pretty extensive volunteer history and a passion for education, but I'll need to rely on my SOP to articulate that.

Thanks for your feedback!! I do have low score on the quant an verbal section of the GRE, I am not a great test taker and sort of bombed that section when I took it a couple years ago. What do you all suggest as far as recommendations? In addition, would anybody be willing to swap SOPs??? 

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for creating this thread - it has been a very useful source of information.

I have contemplated HGSE's TIE program for two years and am just now getting ready to apply for Fall 2015. As seems to be the case with many of you, I am terrified of the GRE. I took it once too many years ago to remember and it was a complete disaster, although I did go into it completely unprepared. As for my experience,I have been a high school foreign language teacher for the last 15 years. During that time, I have worked as a mentor for new teachers, served as a leader in using technology in classes, and earned National Board Certification. I also have my MA in teaching Spanish. I'm hoping to take the GRE in late November, but I don't feel great about the prospect of performing well. I'm hoping my experience outweighs my results on the test as I am not a good test taker. 

My other concern is financial aid and generally finding the best way to finance the program if I am fortunate enough to be accepted. 

Thanks again for sharing your stories and I look forward to continuing the conversation!

Cheers,

Steve