St. Louis, MO

Guest guest

St. Louis is second only to the nation’s capital for the number of free attractions. Major cultural institutions including the Saint Louis Art Museum, Saint Louis Zoo, Missouri History Museum and the Saint Louis Science Center are among the top attractions open with no general admission charge.

• 4 months later...

I accepted an offer for the Philosophy-neuroscience-psychology PhD at WashU. Im moving with my fiancee and we are looking to move near the Danforth campus either in Clayton (DeMun area), CWE (skinker/DeBaliviere), and U-City loop. Anyone know if I should stay away from off-campus Quadrangle housing or stick with craigslist? Quadrangle seems to have the best locations (proximity), but Ive heard bad things about the buildings, repairs, and management. Anyone rent from Barron Realty?

I really wanted to live in a cooler apartment than the University owned ones, but I will probably decide to go with one of them for my first year. I was looking for an apartment that was furnished, somewhere maybe in the Clayton area, but I am in NY state right now, and it would be difficult to look for apartments/visit etc..

Some General Impressions:

1. St. Louis is actually a very nice mid-sized city to live in. There are many civic organizations that are supported very well by the community. Some that come to mind are: The MUNY (open-air theater which hosts musicals and plays), St. Louis Symphony, St. Louis Zoo (which is world-renowned), the Science Center, Missouri Botanical Garden, Forest Park and the Science Center.
  2. The foodie culture is growing as well and there are awesome new bars and restaurants popping up all the time. Several new restaurants have been established with chefs coming in from L.A., New York, etc. 
  3. The average commute time is 21.5 minutes which is slightly lower than the national average (24.3) according to the U.S. Census Bureau.
  4. Another nice advantage that many people don’t think about is that there are other major cities within driving distance that make for great day or weekend trips. Chicago, Louisville, Nashville, Kansas City, Memphis, and Indianapolis are all within driving distance. I’ve driven to Indianapolis to watch races. I’ve driven to Chicago with my wife for a weekend away. I’ve even driven to Denver (12-14 hours) and New Orleans (10-12 hours), but those are a stretch for many people and really take more than a weekend.
  5. Express Scripts, Monsanto, Emerson, Ralston Purina, Energizer, etc all have HQs here. The economy here doesn’t seem to be as service oriented as it appeared to be in other cities I’ve been to and lived in. Things are actually manufactured, built, invented, and created here. The start-up culture is in its infancy, but is growing fast. Grass-roots professional organizations are popping up and there’s a general feeling of excitement that the area holds a lot of promise for new businesses. The low taxes and great standard of living are proving to be a draw for many people exploring areas to build new businesses or expand existing ones.

Hello fellow wannabes.

I just received email notification that I was waitlisted by the school that would've made my girlish dreams come true. My top school. My dream school. THAT school.

While I'm glad I know something definite -- the waiting was killing me -- I really don't know what this means. When I clear my head a little bit, I'm going to craft an email to the DGS, ask about my 'rank' and explain my continued interest in the program or whatever (anything else I should add?). But for right now, I just want to wallow a little bit.

Can you help me by telling me your success stories about being accepted from the waitlist? I want to know that all is not over. That's not the fat lady singing in the corner, it's just the TV. RIGHT?

Sorry to resurrect an old topic, but has anyone decided to attend WashU? I am visiting my last school in two weeks, but I really liked WashU and I will probably end up accepting their offer. If so, what are you guys doing for housing etc.?

_

Hey! as a St. Louisian, I suggest you look for apartments around Central West End. For eg. a lot of grad student live in houses in street called Laclede Ave (walking distance from WASHU). If you want a quieter nicer neighborhood, but which requires little more driving, I suggest areas like Clayton, Ladue, Kirkwood, and esp. Creve Coeur (very nice but further away from university). I would not suggest any place south of Interstate 64. around where WASHU is.

Hey, thanks! The thing about that post was not that I was desperate but that I forgot I had already written something in this thread :rolleyes:. I tried deleting but I guess they don't allow it..

I would really love to live in Clayton (don't know if I can actually afford living in CWE), and wouldn't mind the driving (provided I actually ever manage to get a car lol), but my main problem is that I am in NY and I won't go to STL until June 1st or so, and then back late in August. So I have a few options, but some are more feasible than others:

1. get an apartment through the graduate office (although it is on the Loop, there seems to be only grads and professors nearby, so it doesn't seem that unsafe... I see many grads do this their first year): the nice thing about it is that I wouldn't have to bother too much with getting one, there are a lot of students nearby, and lease can start pretty late as far as I understand
  2. go apartment hunting in June: the problem with that is that I can't think of any landlord willing to keep an apartment until August, so I would have to spend $1500 at least for the summer I won't be there
  3. don't get any apartment, come back early and hunt then: this is risky from all points of view. I might not get an apartment, plus I would be completely alone in STL, without a home or anything (my mom will be visiting in June, so I wouldn't be alone in June)...
Also i am kinda scared about being tricked into paying for rent in an apartment that's already rented to someone else lol. Anyway, do you have any advice? Any trustful landlords/real estate agencies? Also, I do not actually have any credit history, so the only reference I could provide is a letter from the University stating how much I would be making per month...

This is really scary.... All of the apartments I've lived in until now have been found by other people (that I roomed with)... Also, I am basically all alone in America - even if my mom comes visit, I am not sure whether she can actually help (except to make me feel more confident lol).

Also, I will be on the Danforth Campus, so Laclede Ave doesn't seem that close actually (the Delmar Loop, although I admit I read mixed opinions about it, is probably closest), and even Clayton seems closer to it. Oh, and I forgot to say that I wouldn't mind paying $800 for a nicer apartment in a nice neighborhood...

I lived in St. Louis for 6 years in a variety of places, including Quadrangle. I LOVEEED IT. The most affordable city with so many parks and free cultural events.

Quadrangle Housing is convenient but you can do much better with a little research. I lived on Demun, Clayton above a coffeeshop, 20 minute pleasant walk, 10 minutes biking. 2 bedroom was $750/month. I walked 20 minutes to the grocery store too regularly. I briefly lived on the outskirts of CWE in a studio sublet for $300/month and I needed my car. After I started working at the Medical campus I moved to South City above another coffeeshop into an enormous 2 bedroom/2 master bath/wifi/laundry in unit/modern kitchen for $800/month. I alternated taking a bus/Metro combo and driving. I never had any problems.

Wonderful parks: Forest Park, Tower Grove Park, Shaw Park.

On 3/7/2008 at 2:53 PM, thefladhouse said:

(I'm 28, white male, and I have lived in St. Louis most of my life. I have also lived in Columbia MO and Beijing PRC.)

A few things about St. Louis:

Good Luck.

You wouldn't have by chance studied abroad in Beijing with the TBC program through SLU, would you???

On 3/9/2011 at 9:48 AM, adinutzyc said:

So, who's moving to St Louis? I am pretty sure that's where I'll be next year

Also, I was wondering: downtown is a REALLY bad area, right? Because I was considering living in one of the apartment complexes, but most of them are downtown (east downtown).

Where are you considering to live in downtown? Downtown StL is not "REALLY bad," but you might have to adjust to sirens throughout the night. I lived on-campus when I attended SLU, and I felt safe on campus. A few blocks outside of campus though, I definitely would not suggest you venture out to, especially after dark. East St. Louis was named "Most Dangerous City".

There is a lot of nightlife in the heart of downtown St. Louis, so downtown is generally safer. The areas around WashU and SLU are generally considered to be very safe areas.

Hey, thanks! The thing about that post was not that I was desperate but that I forgot I had already written something in this thread :rolleyes:. I tried deleting but I guess they don't allow it..

I would really love to live in Clayton (don't know if I can actually afford living in CWE), and wouldn't mind the driving (provided I actually ever manage to get a car lol), but my main problem is that I am in NY and I won't go to STL until June 1st or so, and then back late in August. So I have a few options, but some are more feasible than others:

1. get an apartment through the graduate office (although it is on the Loop, there seems to be only grads and professors nearby, so it doesn't seem that unsafe... I see many grads do this their first year): the nice thing about it is that I wouldn't have to bother too much with getting one, there are a lot of students nearby, and lease can start pretty late as far as I understand
  2. go apartment hunting in June: the problem with that is that I can't think of any landlord willing to keep an apartment until August, so I would have to spend $1500 at least for the summer I won't be there
  3. don't get any apartment, come back early and hunt then: this is risky from all points of view. I might not get an apartment, plus I would be completely alone in STL, without a home or anything (my mom will be visiting in June, so I wouldn't be alone in June)...
Also i am kinda scared about being tricked into paying for rent in an apartment that's already rented to someone else lol. Anyway, do you have any advice? Any trustful landlords/real estate agencies? Also, I do not actually have any credit history, so the only reference I could provide is a letter from the University stating how much I would be making per month...

This is really scary.... All of the apartments I've lived in until now have been found by other people (that I roomed with)... Also, I am basically all alone in America - even if my mom comes visit, I am not sure whether she can actually help (except to make me feel more confident lol).

Also, I will be on the Danforth Campus, so Laclede Ave doesn't seem that close actually (the Delmar Loop, although I admit I read mixed opinions about it, is probably closest), and even Clayton seems closer to it. Oh, and I forgot to say that I wouldn't mind paying $800 for a nicer apartment in a nice neighborhood...

I completely understand your situation - moving to a new place while being away from home, family, relatives and all alone. The best place to look for rental place is www.rent.com. Also most places advertised here are professional and don't think you will be swindled if you stick to places advertised here. Also, if you find a place and want to run the name of the place by me, I will help you to verify if the place is good. When you lease an apartment from rent.com, they also send you 100 gift card in the mail. Since you gonna be in Danforth campus, I suggest Clayton, Ladue (rich neighborhood) or Creve Coeur (does not feel like part of St. Louis at all. safe and quiet). Loop is tricky. Things change from block to block, but cannot suggest anybody to live there. If I was gonna be in St. Louis in August, I would probably have been able to help you more and would have assured you that I will not let you be homeless in St. Louis. But I will be moving myself for grad school. But, if you really really need help at any point in time, pm me. A lot of my friends go to WASHU and I can introduce you to them. Anyway, I am confident that you will get a good rental place, and be happy in St. Louis. It has a lot of history to it- from being a french colony to once a competitor for a major city in the US + Washu is an excellent university and cares about its students. So, you don't have anything to worry about.

My wife and I have lived downtown for the last two years and it's been pretty cool. We have a loft about 2 miles from SLU's campus. I happen to attend the graduate program at UMSL so I just walk down to the Metro and ride out to campus. It's been great. I hardly ever drive my car because of the convenience of the Metro. I've never felt unsafe here (and I ride the metro 3-5 days a week sometimes at night). There's security at most of the Metro stations. Most of the crime involves car-break-ins. At least once a month during the summer someone's car gets broken into on our street. We keep our car in a gated parking lot and we've had no trouble at all. There are plenty of affordable lofts/apartments/condos downtown if that's your thing and many are close to the metro.

St. Louis was the first American city to host the olympics and where 7-Up and the ice cream cone was invented. It's home to the Missouri Botanical Gardens which is among the top three botanical gardens in the world. It's home to Jack Dorsey, Jackie Joyner-Kersee, Ozzie Smith, Nelly, Sheryl Crowe, Maya Angelou, Yogi Berra, Kevin Kline, Henry Schvey, Roger Goldman and John Goodman.

It also is known for toasted ravioli, gooey butter cake, and provel cheese. It’s also home to the best bbq, the largest beer-producing plant in the USA, the tallest monument in the USA (the Arch) and host the largest Mardi Gras celebration outside of New Orleans and hosts the largest St. Patrick’s Day Parade.

It’s home to Washington University which is one of the most prestigious colleges in the USA and Saint Louis University which is the oldest university west of the Mississippi.

I got PhD offers from WUSTL and Rice. They have same major ranks. And both provide the same amount of stipend. <BR>My field is mainly on theory, so after graduation, I may have very little opportunity to work in industry. <BR>Which school do you think is a better choice? Thanks

Edited by geo1115

Hi guys! Any hotel recommendations in STL? Conditions: cheap, clean, and safe? I need to head over there in May/June to look for apartments, and I'll need a place to stay...

• 2 weeks later...

I just went to St. Louis about 2 weeks ago to visit UMSL. I stayed at the Ramada Inn up near the airport. It was a dump. Damn cheap ($90 for room and rental car from expedia), but it was disgusting. I'd spring the $$ for something much nicer. I wanted to stay at the Marriott, but they weren't accepting my rewards points. Sorry I can't recommend anything, but avoid the Ramada at all costs.

On a side note....I'm still considering UMSL. I visited campus, but I wasn't in the city for more than 30 hours. How safe is it? I would likely live on campus in their grad apartments. I assume a car is almost necessary in SL.

I did like the University, but wasn't keen on the city. Deciding between there and Long Beach, CA.

• 3 months later...

Some fun facts about St. Louis:

1. St. Louis has more free attractions than any other city in the country outside Washington, D.C. Guests pay nothing to visit the art museum, the history museum, the science center and the zoo.

2. Speaking of the zoo, the attraction was born after a bird exhibit for the 1904 World’s Fair proved to be hugely popular. The flight cage was originally commissioned by the Smithsonian, and instead of dismantling and shipping it back to D.C., St. Louis bought the exhibit for $3500. Today, it is one of the best Zoos in the USA.

3. Besides being where the St. Louis Zoo got its start, the 1904 World’s Fair, held in the city's Forrest Park neighborhood, was the first time the world saw electric plugs, the X-ray machine, and the ice cream cone.

4. The musical movie Meet Me in St. Louis, starring Judy Garland, takes place in the city and tells the story of a family who doesn’t want to leave town, or the World’s Fair, for a new life in New York.

5. The St. Louis Cardinals is one of the most successful baseball franchises in history. To date, the team has won 10 World Series championships, 17 National League pennants, and 11 division titles. And they might be adding more to that list soon.

6. The city hasn’t forgotten its French roots and hosts a huge Mardi Gras parade and festival every year, which is said to be the second-largest in the country after New Orleans'.

7. St. Louis' food scene has recently been getting significantly better. It's not San Francisco but I really think only Chicago can can compete in the food scene.

8. St. Louis' version of Stonewall occurred Oct. 31/Nov. 1, 1969, when nine men in drag are arrested for violating masquerading laws and bailed out by the community thanks in part to support from the Mandrake Society. Charges would be dismissed.

9. Tennessee Williams' Glass Menagerie wins the New York Drama Critic's Circle Award.

10.  St. Louis is one of the most affordable livable major metropolitan centers in the United States that is culturally diverse. The greatest surprise to visitors is just how green the neighborhoods are and how welcoming people are. One rarely goes more than a few blocks without finding an attractive and welcoming park in which to stroll, bike or jog. In addition, with affordable housing, excellent restaurants, numerous sporting events, and varied cultural activities, St. Louis is one of the most pleasant American cities in which to live and to work.

On 4/12/2011 at 6:41 PM, adinutzyc said:

Hi guys! Any hotel recommendations in STL? Conditions: cheap, clean, and safe? I need to head over there in May/June to look for apartments, and I'll need a place to stay...

I'm not sure what you consider cheap but the Moonrise Hotel and The Chesire are both excellent non-chain hotels with great staff and service in a safe area. I've also heard good things about Clayton Plaza Hotel and the Seven Gables Inn.  Moonrise and Chesire are both closer to more activities though and are in safe neighborhoods.

• 6 months later...
On 8/26/2011 at 2:46 AM, william66266 said:

I'm not sure what you consider cheap but the Moonrise Hotel and The Chesire are both excellent non-chain hotels with great staff and service in a safe area. I've also heard good things about Clayton Plaza Hotel and the Seven Gables Inn.  Moonrise and Chesire are both closer to more activities though and are in safe neighborhoods.

Seconding this! Can confirm that the Moonrise is excellent and is close to WashU's campus.

Hi all!

I'll be attending WashU in the fall for a really small program (education) so I'm not expecting to find anyone for that, but wanted to see if there are any other incoming WashU peeps out there. Are you moving here or are you already in town?

For what it's worth, I've been living in St. Louis for about 5 years. Recently I've been on campus a bit for work-related stuff, so I'm starting to get a little sense of it. It's really a charming campus, though it's quite different from the huge spread I was used to at Michigan State.

Any questions about St. Louis I will do my best to help. (I really love this city!)