Redlands

I'm looking at Redland's program and it feels so vague to me.  Are they school focused, medical focused, or research focused? Do they have any special programs like specialties or summer camps for clients? 

Do the information sessions require signing up for it or do you just show up on the dates?  I may be able to make it to one of the sessions (Sept 15).

• 8 months later...

Just bringing this back to the top. It looks like Redlands started sending notifications on the 25th last year...I've been stalking my email today! I emailed them on March 9 and received the reply, "We will send an email (letter attached) by the beginning of April. Hopefully they will go out the last week of this month."

I'm hoping for sooner rather than later! I just don't understand why they take so long since they don't even do interviews & they had a Jan 15 deadline!

According to one of the professors there, they won't even start reviewing applications until April. At least April isn't too far away at this point now...

I'm looking at Redland's program and it feels so vague to me.  Are they school focused, medical focused, or research focused? Do they have any special programs like specialties or summer camps for clients? 

Did you find out any more about this program? I totally agree with you about the small amount of information available regarding the program. Most have some sort of distinct feature or emphasis but I don't really know anything about Redlands! Thanks :)

I don't know a lot about their program, but I know several people who are SLPs or who work with SLPs, and they have all said the SLPs they know who got their degrees from Redlands are EXCELLENT clinicians.

I don't know a lot about their program, but I know several people who are SLPs or who work with SLPs, and they have all said the SLPs they know who got their degrees from Redlands are EXCELLENT clinicians.

Hmm ok thanks! I have met a couple SLPs who got their degree from Redlands and they both worked in medical settings - I would assume then that that's more of their focus but I'm glad you've heard good things about it. Just interesting because all other schools have something I associate with it but it's just a blank with Redlands haha

Hmm ok thanks! I have met a couple SLPs who got their degree from Redlands and they both worked in medical settings - I would assume then that that's more of their focus but I'm glad you've heard good things about it. Just interesting because all other schools have something I associate with it but it's just a blank with Redlands haha

That's funny that you say that...the ones I've heard about from friends all work in public school settings. Now it seems as clear as mud to me what their focus is.

That's funny that you say that...the ones I've heard about from friends all work in public school settings. Now it seems as clear as mud to me what their focus is.

oh really?? haha wow ok now I'm really unsure. 

What do you mean they won't even start reviewing them until April? What have they been doing for the past 2 months?

haha No idea! I just know that one of my post-bacc professors told someone at the csha convention that took place two weeks ago that the department hasn't started their review yet. I'm just passing along what I have heard, no idea how valid it is though! Perhaps the school filters them and picks the best candidates before sending them to the department for review? 

I'm wait listed, so thank you to those who are declining. It's between Redlands and UWEC online for me. I much prefer an on campus program, so I really hope I get a spot at Redlands!!

I'm going to be accepting as long as I don't get off of WSU's waitlist. I will be visiting Redlands soon to get a feel for the area and program so please feel free to message me for info for those of you that are planning on attending.  :D

Redlands is in a pretty nice area, close to the mountains that separate the Inland Empire and the desert. It's about 2 hours east of LA in the suburbs, so cheap housing!

@Chandru1 - I will probably not have time to get out to see Redlands because it is so far away from where I live. Since you went to the info session, could you possibly share some details (either here or PM)? I am seriously considering this school. Thanks!

@Chandru1 - I will probably not have time to get out to see Redlands because it is so far away from where I live. Since you went to the info session, could you possibly share some details (either here or PM)? I am seriously considering this school. Thanks!

Sure!

As I said before, Redlands is 2 hours east of LA. You take I-10 (or 210 if you're coming from the valley, 57 from OC) past the suburbs of LA and San Bernandino County.

The campus is small-ish, but very nice, with lots of green lawns. It was surprisingly quiet for a weekday evening though.

The program is ~$30K a year. In field students start in August but out of fields start in January.

It has classes and practica for both schools and hospitals. Your medical externships can be done anywhere, even Hawaii.

They have a water cooler that they are very proud of.

Let me know if you have more questions!

Thanks, Chandru1!

1. Did they talk about how the schedule works? i.e. seeing clients in the clinic at the same time as getting your academic education?

2. How did the relationship between faculty and students seem? How about students in the cohort, are they close?

3. In doing your externships, if doing one in Hawaii for example, do you have to a) find it and apply yourself? and b ) need to return to Redlands at all for classes or exams? I'm confused how this would work.

I appreciate your help. You rock! :)

Edited by mimblewimble

1. I'm not sure, but I think classes are all day. They don't recommend working or commuting, and instead renting a place in redlands. I'm not sure about the practicum schedule, but I'm sure they make it work with classes.

2. Faculty seem welcoming. They invite students to work on research, and have a thesis option.

3. Apparently you request location, and they find a place for you. So they have hookups in Hawaii, NYC, not just the Empire.