MSW/JD Programs

Gennisis

Hey guys,

I was wondering if anyone has any opinions on MSW/JD programs. Do you think they're worth it? Has anyone applied/gone through it and can speak on what it's like in general? I'm really thinking about this as I am interested in policy work and human rights plus I like the flexibility of the dual-degree. I'm actually looking at University at Buffalo's MSW/JD program but any advice would be greatly appreciated. (Hope I'm posting in the right place as I didn't see a section for dual degrees)  :)

• 3 weeks later...

Check out San Diego State University's dual program in MSW and JD. You spend your first year at California Western Law taking law classes and the second year taking social work courses at SDSU. Check the social work website for more info. I am not sure how competitive it is. Also keep in mind that you have to take the GREs and LSATs.

• 2 weeks later...

My school recently started up a JD/MSW program; I'm currently just MSW, but I think it would be an incredible program (if law interests you) and makes for one heck of a combination. Not to mention all the doors that combination would open for you. I'd consider it.

• 2 months later...

I would be VERY careful about picking a law school based on its dual-degree program. The reputation of the school is the number one factor in getting your first legal job. That should be your first priority. If that school has a dual-degree program, great. If not, then maybe you can get a MSW later. But if you ever intend to practice law, only seriously consider reputable schools. And if you don't intend to practice law, why get the dual degree.

Obviously, I'm a weird person for saying all this, but I'm basing this off my personal experience with pursuing the degrees separately because I know how valuable the ranking of your school is in the legal market.

Someone in my cohort is doing it - she did her first year of law school last year and is in her first year of the MSW program now. Beyond that, I can't really speak to it, other than I contemplated it myself, but was talked out of law by my attorney stepmother.