Best Ph.D Programs for Various Areas of French Art

mikimeed

I'm looking into Ph.D programs in French art, but my interests as of now are quite broad. I was wondering if anyone could suggest programs that are strong in any or all of the following fields:

Baroque

Rococo

19th-century academic art

Thank you!

Read articles of people you admire and see where they are? There have been a ton of deaths/retirements in the last decades of the most prominent french art historians in those periods so the pickings are slim. 

Read articles of people you admire and see where they are? There have been a ton of deaths/retirements in the last decades of the most prominent french art historians in those periods so the pickings are slim. 

I'll really have to disagree with the idea that "pickings are slim" in the field of French art history.  It is a very popular field (which makes it very competitive).  Because of this, I would advise against getting a PhD from a 2nd tier university (unless the fit happens to be extremely good).  You didn't mention the time period you are interested in, but my specialty is 19th Century France, so here are some places/people I would recommend if you are going along those lines:

Darcy Grigsby - UC Berkeley

Thomas Crow - IFA

Micheal Fried - Johns Hopkins

Howard Lay and Susan Siegfried - University of Michigan

Andre Dombrowski - UPenn

Carol Armstrong - Yale

Margaret Werth - University of Delaware

Laura L. Meixner - Cornell

Ewa Lajer- Burcharth - Harvard

Martha Ward - U Chicago

S. Hollis Clayson and Stephen S. Eisenman - Northwestern

Of course, this is a finite list.  It could go on and on.  Good luck!

Mary Sheriff at UNC, Sarah Betzer at Virginia, and Todd Cronon at Emory are also very interesting scholars.

At Chicago, there's not only Marty Ward, who's a dream, but also Anne Leonard, Richard Neer (who dabbles in French classicism), Tom Gunning and Jennifer Wild in the CMS dept with an interest in 19th century France.

At Harvard, there's Ewa and also Maria Gough. 

• 4 months later...

Eep, forgive me for reviving a months-old thread, but I was reading this and saw a lot of recommendations for 19th c. French art. Are there any recommendations anyone has for 18th c. French art (both MA and PhD)? I'm definitely interested in Rococo and French Revolution stuff. Thanks much. :)

Not already mentioned above: all of these scholars could also advise a topic pertaining to the Revolutionary era

18c French: 

Amy Freund at SMU

Meredith Martin at NYU

Kristel Smentek at MIT

Erika Naginski at Harvard (School of Design)

Surely there are more excellent people out there, but these would my top picks for 18c French.

GOOD LUCK!