Dramatic Literature Dabblers

I'm researching programs for the Fall 2015 application cycle and was looking to connect with like-minded individuals for their opinions.

In a nutshell, my interest lies in the integration of drama into what we broadly call "literature". Often, the study of drama is sectioned off on its own or else strictly relegated to the field of theatre. Unless we're talking about Shakespeare, dramatic literature is left out of many English courses. In my experience, when a play is required reading, English students are hesitant to dive into interpretation. Yet the the very kind of interpretation that we do for our studies of "literature" is done in every theatrtical production of a play. I'm interested in studying why we are so hesitant to incorporate drama into our literary studies and researching a methodology for comparing "literature" and dramatic works side by side.

While I have an undergraduate degree in theatre, I attended a small school for my master's that didn't provide an opportunity to take many dramatic literature courses. As a result, my scholarly work appears to be stronger in nineteenth century literature. I don't see this as a setback, however, as my research lies in the intersection of regular "literature" and drama. In fact, I believe this has provided me with a strong background for what I'd like to do.

Does anyone have any suggestions for programs that would be a good fit for my work? Or any articles that may be helpful?

You might consider Minnesota.  We have an amazing theater program (both BFA and MFA) and are a department that is strongly interdisciplinary.  While Jo Lee is the main professor who comes to mind that works on drama in literature, she specializes in modern Asian drama.  However, she has a strong background in dramatic theory, and many of the professors in the theater department also have a background in approaching theater from the perspective of literary interpretation.  The theater scene here in the Twin Cities is also exceptional (see the Guthrie for example).  

In a nutshell, my interest lies in the integration of drama into what we broadly call "literature". Often, the study of drama is sectioned off on its own or else strictly relegated to the field of theatre. Unless we're talking about Shakespeare, dramatic literature is left out of many English courses. In my experience, when a play is required reading, English students are hesitant to dive into interpretation. Yet the the very kind of interpretation that we do for our studies of "literature" is done in every theatrtical production of a play. I'm interested in studying why we are so hesitant to incorporate drama into our literary studies and researching a methodology for comparing "literature" and dramatic works side by side.

At the risk of taking things off course, I’ll just say that I don’t trust the validity of the dichotomy you’re attempting to establish. I’m sure there is potential in researching pedagogical approaches to drama in literary studies, but I don’t think that defining these approaches, from the outset, in pejorative terms is especially productive or accurate. Perhaps your perspective of the discipline is biased due to your theatre background?

Undergraduates who major in English are certainly required to engage with a range of literary forms, including drama, and while some courses will focus exclusively on specific forms (courses on Victorian novels or Modernist poetry, say, or Renaissance drama, for that matter), this does not constitute a “sectioning off” of drama any more than it does novels or poetry. Introductory survey courses, for example, which are ideally intended to convey the foundations of English studies to novices, necessarily cover a range of periods, genres, and forms. The basic goal of an English BA is directly related to this inclusivity; the degree supports the development of a wide-ranging appreciation of literature. So I’m a bit puzzled by your approach to the discipline, and I don’t have any specific programs to recommend because I’d expect any professor to be accustomed to teaching a range of literary forms. Any English department should be able to accommodate a graduate student focused on drama. I suppose that my general advice, then, would be to simply seek out supervisors who likewise focus mainly on drama.

I agree with Roquentin. I, too, was a little surprised at the idea that there is a lack of integration of drama in literary studies. That certainly hasn't been my experience. Even when I got an associate's degree at a community college, there was dramatic literature blended with fiction and poetry.

Incidentally, I was just talking about this with my wife, who got her BA in Theatre Arts a number of years ago, and she also asserted that she took several courses on dramatic literature that were cross-listed with English courses, and often taught by English faculty. I guess the takeaway of this is that you might want to take a close look at a bunch of programs and their course offerings before you start forming fixed plans in this area. If your supposition rings a bit false to a couple of us here on Grad Cafe, it may well ring false to adcomms.

I should point out that I'm not saying you're wrong, but that your own experiences might have given you the wrong impression of the broader landscape. That said, if you feel you can make an airtight case that this separation exists, then go for it! Just be sure to have enough compelling examples to override any initial adcomm bias.

Thanks for the feedback, Wyatt's Torch and Roquentin. I don't mean to sound pejorative (incidentally, I don't use the phrase "sectioned off" in my SOP; I was attempting to simplify my argument to avoid a long-winded explanation). What I mean to point out is a hesitancy to compare literary works and dramatic works side-by-side -- we tend to talk about literature or drama and shy away from comparing them together within the same pieces of scholarship. I'm interested in researching direct comparisons between the two.

Your comments are valuable to me, however, because now I wonder if the argument in my SOP gives a similar impression. I'll have to go back and look at it with fresh eyes.

You might consider Minnesota.  We have an amazing theater program (both BFA and MFA) and are a department that is strongly interdisciplinary.  While Jo Lee is the main professor who comes to mind that works on drama in literature, she specializes in modern Asian drama.  However, she has a strong background in dramatic theory, and many of the professors in the theater department also have a background in approaching theater from the perspective of literary interpretation.  The theater scene here in the Twin Cities is also exceptional (see the Guthrie for example).  

Ha! I was waitlisted at Minnesota this past round and was considering re-applying. Thanks for the validation!

I'm researching programs for the Fall 2015 application cycle and was looking to connect with like-minded individuals for their opinions.

While I have an undergraduate degree in theatre, I attended a small school for my master's that didn't provide an opportunity to take many dramatic literature courses. As a result, my scholarly work appears to be stronger in nineteenth century literature. I don't see this as a setback, however, as my research lies in the intersection of regular "literature" and drama. In fact, I believe this has provided me with a strong background for what I'd like to do.

Does anyone have any suggestions for programs that would be a good fit for my work? Or any articles that may be helpful?

Although I can't even remotely say that I have a background in drama, it might be interesting to specialize your potential dissertation by explaining exactly how you would compare literature and dramatic works side-by-side: what initially comes to mind would obviously be why we sometimes study sections of Shakespearian plays as raw poems vs. why we sometimes contextualize them within the overall plot. If you're suggesting that we view these plays as poems in their own right (a suggestion that I would tend to agree with) then you might be interested in something more along the lines of comparative literature! It also sounds like you're very much so interested in the raw pedagogy of intellectual thinking - something to consider in the framing of your thesis. I agree with the previous suggestions that maybe some more clarification could be used, but also interesting stuff. :)

Your comments are valuable to me, however, because now I wonder if the argument in my SOP gives a similar impression. I'll have to go back and look at it with fresh eyes.

Whew! I'm glad you took them in that light. After re-reading my post, I see it looked like it might have had a touch of snark, which was definitely not my intention. Yes, the bottom line of what I was getting at is just to be crystal clear in your SOP about what you intend. That's actually a good rule of thumb for pretty much everyone, and also a ringing endorsement for having others look at your SOP before you upload it. That has already proved invaluable for me, thanks to a few kind-hearted GCers.

Thanks for the feedback, Wyatt's Torch and Roquentin. I don't mean to sound pejorative (incidentally, I don't use the phrase "sectioned off" in my SOP; I was attempting to simplify my argument to avoid a long-winded explanation). What I mean to point out is a hesitancy to compare literary works and dramatic works side-by-side -- we tend to talk about literature or drama and shy away from comparing them together within the same pieces of scholarship. I'm interested in researching direct comparisons between the two.

I’m still not sure about this “hesitancy.” I just don’t see it. Maybe I’ve marked too many undergraduate “compare and contrast” essays – the bread and butter of introductory courses – over the past few years to be impartial…

But clarity in your SOP is more important than long-winded explanations here. Your SOP will be reviewed by faculty with decades of experience studying and teaching plays alongside other kinds of literature. Indicating to these folks that you have a solid grasp of the discipline and that you have something significant to contribute is really all that matters.

Best of luck!

• 7 months later...

*waves wand* THREAD NECROMANCY

Anyways, anyone else in the dramatic lit camp? Really interested to hear if and where any aspiring folks in this subfield have gotten accepted this season.

Hey silenus,

I'm definitely interested in drama. My writing sample dug into Gay's The Beggar's Opera and other lit stuff. How about you?

Hey silenus,

I'm definitely interested in drama. My writing sample dug into Gay's The Beggar's Opera and other lit stuff. How about you?

Hi howdy! The Beggar's Opera is a little more than a wee bit prior to the time period I'm interested in: 20th/21st century American drama. David Mamet is an author I'm quite interested in; my WS, however, was on a film of his rather than a play (his 1991 film Homicide). I spent plenty of time diving into the major works of the American playwrights of the 20th century onward as an undergrad, though, so I'm going to have to bone up on a lot of areas of theatre history that I lack in -- 18th century being one of them.

Yay! There's more than one of us!

Hi there! I'm in a similar position - I got an English major with a theater minor in college, and was hoping to study "drama" as you say, somewhere that would allow me to combine some of my interests. I also noticed a weird gap between the two disciplines - English majors are reluctant to talk about performance at ALL and Theater majors sometimes get too stuck in the performative aspects and don't really do the text analysis.

I'm personally hoping (right now at least) to be the theater kid in the English department for masters programs - hopefully my experience in both disciplines can result in some good scholarship! =]

I applied this year - I applied to Dartmouth's MALS and Uchicago's MAPH which are kind of a build your own masters program. 

Based on my experience this year,  if you want to be in a English department you should contact the professors and see if anyone on the faculty has interest or experience in practical performance... AND do your homework on the theater department at the university too. Most English majors can take a course or two in another department. However, I found that a lot of places only offered mostly the same theater courses I took as an undergrad. Anyway, feel free to message me if you have any questions!! =]

Edited by wetheplants

So glad to see more dramatic literature folk here! Though it seems like we're all in different time periods; I'm finding myself more and more drawn to the rise of the professional and the portrayal of occupation, thus finding myself more in the 19th century. However, I'm beginning rehearsals for a community theatre production of Samuel D. Hunter's A Bright New Boise this week and (as always) am looking for ways to incorporate traditional literature into my analysis. For example, one of the texts I suggest the cast read is Stewart O'Nan's Last Night at the Lobster to give them an idea for the feel I'm going for. 

In my studies I hope to find more scholarly connections between traditional literary texts and dramatic texts. In the meantime, I'm attempting to put my ideas into practice with the small productions I direct by encouraging cast members to make connections like these when developing their character interpretations.

I'm interested in the resources everyone is finding useful in their research. I'm working my way through an old copy of Century of Innovation to brush up on my theatre history and have recently read Dark Matter by Andrew Sofer. I hope to read the David Kurnick book suggested above soon (Empty Houses: Theatrical Failure and the Novel).

So glad to see more dramatic literature folk here! Though it seems like we're all in different time periods; I'm finding myself more and more drawn to the rise of the professional and the portrayal of occupation, thus finding myself more in the 19th century. However, I'm beginning rehearsals for a community theatre production of Samuel D. Hunter's A Bright New Boise this week and (as always) am looking for ways to incorporate traditional literature into my analysis. For example, one of the texts I suggest the cast read is Stewart O'Nan's Last Night at the Lobster to give them an idea for the feel I'm going for. 

In my studies I hope to find more scholarly connections between traditional literary texts and dramatic texts. In the meantime, I'm attempting to put my ideas into practice with the small productions I direct by encouraging cast members to make connections like these when developing their character interpretations.

I'm interested in the resources everyone is finding useful in their research. I'm working my way through an old copy of Century of Innovation to brush up on my theatre history and have recently read Dark Matter by Andrew Sofer. I hope to read the David Kurnick book suggested above soon (Empty Houses: Theatrical Failure and the Novel).

Oh, Andrew Softer might be my advisor next year at BC, if I decide to go!! :D What is the book about, should I read it?

Oh, Andrew Softer might be my advisor next year at BC, if I decide to go!! :D What is the book about, should I read it?

It was about how the events that occur offstage affect the narrative. I found it very interesting. And I appreciate that he grounds his theory in physics (as a person who doesn't understand physics very well, but would like to). I picked it up when deciding whether or not to apply to BC. While it isn't something that aligns closely with my own research, I think it's a great resource. You might want to pick up a copy to help with your decision!

• 2 months later...

Hi Mattie,

I have a similar background in that I started of in theater, did theater throughout college, but ultimately ended up in a literature and politics track for my major. I later even worked with drama as foundation of my political science M.A. (I'm still amazed they let me.) In some ways, I do understand what you are getting at. For me, dramatic literature is highly analyzed and interpreted as it goes into production, through table work and dramaturgy and whatnot  but within the confines of an English department it seems like we loose sight of how to interpret it in those ways (especially in its performance aspects). 

I know Minnesota has been mentioned (and it was recommended to me too), so I thought I'd chime in with some less obvious but still possibly good fits. You might also look at U of Rochester if you are looking toward early modern drama. It looks like they have integrated theater into their department fairly successfully at the undergraduate level and you might be able to find a good adviser there. The University of Texas also has the ability to specialize in drama and publishes their reading list for the field if you need to get an idea of the program.

Several years ago the University of Wisconsin had an excellent section on dramatic literature in their published reading list for their comp. exams that led me to believe they had some good faculty there. I'm not sure if their department still has that focus at all (it seems less so at first glance, sadly), but it's maybe worth a look.

Czenzi

Edited by czenzi