Graduate Programs that Focus on School/Clinical Settings

I've seen a couple of forums talking about medical based programs.  Does anyone know any graduate programs that focus on school and/or clinical settings?  I have seen several programs that put special emphasis on early intervention or working with preschoolers, but I would like to know if there are programs that also focus on school aged children?  I am interesteed in programs that offer courses or emphasis on autism or childhood apraxia.

Most people talk about the medically based programs since there's fewer of them. Most schools give you a balance or tend to lean more towards school/developmental settings (classes wise). I think Univ. of Maryland has some Autism stuff, or you can look into schools that will give you a MEd at the end.  Some others that has some faculty (or even a concentration) in Autism are MGH, UMass-Amherst, Eastern Illinois U, Nova... For apraxia you might have to find a school with focus/faculty in motor/neurogenic disorders.

I also see you're planning on applying to Univ of Western Ontario... just be careful and make sure they will provide you with everything you need for ASHA certification if you go there (if you plan on working in the US after). Even though we have a universal agreement with Canada, there's still lots of hoops to jump through, especially when it comes to schooling and getting certified.

I also see you're planning on applying to Univ of Western Ontario... just be careful and make sure they will provide you with everything you need for ASHA certification if you go there (if you plan on working in the US after). Even though we have a universal agreement with Canada, there's still lots of hoops to jump through, especially when it comes to schooling and getting certified.

Ah, I see!  I believe it was ASHA that required clinical hours in the US or under a US mentor?  I'll have to do more research for that from UWO.

If you're interested in a M.Ed with an SLP focus (allows you to work as an SLP just like an MA in SLP), look at San Jose State. Cal State San Marcos also has an educational focus.

Thank you very much!  I guess I was right to apply for SJSU.  Is San Marcos accredited yet? 

I wouldn't put too much weight on the specific letters in the degree - for example, I think Columbia offers strong medical focus, but since their SLP program is through the school of education, it's an M.Ed. Focus more on the classes offered and the practicum experiences, the letters/degree type matter very little. Employers care more about your coursework/experiences than the letters in your degree.

It may be hard to find several schools that focus on a particular area, so maybe try to find schools that have a specialty track. My school allows you to choose a research, medical or pediatric track for extra focus on whatever area you're most interested in.

Now that I think of it, Univ. of Washington offers a School track (cause they also have a medical track).

As for Univ. of Western Ontario... I think ASHA cares somewhat about the hours (I'd check if they have to be ASHA certified-- but that might just be for your CFY), but it's more about the classes that have to fulfill KASA requirements. You also need a certain number of hours in each type of setting (ie. 10 in diagnosis, 20 in pediatrics, etc) so you'd want to make sure the clinical practica can do that. ... I mean, quite a few Americans go to Canada (and quite a few Canadians come to the USA) for grad school, so it is possible. There are some things to watch while doing school there to make sure you'll have it all for ASHA certification, but there's more red tape with doing your CFY abroad. So, I think if you can make sure they follow everything to get you ASHA certified and then do your CFY in America you should be more than fine. :)

Now that I think of it, Univ. of Washington offers a School track (cause they also have a medical track).

As for Univ. of Western Ontario... I think ASHA cares somewhat about the hours (I'd check if they have to be ASHA certified-- but that might just be for your CFY), but it's more about the classes that have to fulfill KASA requirements. You also need a certain number of hours in each type of setting (ie. 10 in diagnosis, 20 in pediatrics, etc) so you'd want to make sure the clinical practica can do that. ... I mean, quite a few Americans go to Canada (and quite a few Canadians come to the USA) for grad school, so it is possible. There are some things to watch while doing school there to make sure you'll have it all for ASHA certification, but there's more red tape with doing your CFY abroad. So, I think if you can make sure they follow everything to get you ASHA certified and then do your CFY in America you should be more than fine. :)

Thank you for the details.  How complicated O_O.  It sure would be nice if ASHA wasn't so picky about the requirements, but I can understand why.  I wonder if other English speaking countries like Canada are as detailed on requirements for certification.