Media/Film Studies 2015

autumn

I got my rejection letter from Pitt a few days ago too. Ugh. I'm still waiting to hear from a number of programs. Has anyone heard from Chicago, NYU, Berkeley, or Yale?

Berkeley should be this week. Based on past history, it's already been just a bit too long. 

I'd swear programs are moving more slowly this year than in the past, but I'm certain it's just my eagerness for rejection...

Bump? Has anyone accepted any Film PhD offers? I'm still waiting for one to roll in. Looks like this thread is pretty dead compared to previous years - though it seems the media / comm thread is thriving with acceptances.

New to the forum. 8 applications for Film Studies PhD programs.

So far I've gotten 4 rejections (Chicago, Madison, Berkeley and UCLA) and am trying not to freak out. It's helpful to know others are in the same boat.

I've only gotten into two programs so far, both masters programs, one definitely not funded.  Hard to not feel discouraged about this entire process but trying to keep my spirits up for the hailmary.

Nothing here either. Still waiting on three programs, but not hopeful.

This isn't exactly news, but the downward trend over the past 5 to 6 years has been drastically decreased cohort sizes. For example, since 2012/2013 NYU has halved it's cohort size from 8 to 4. It seems like that tracks across the board, with most programs at 4-6 admits per application season. On the other end, applicant pools have remained steady at around 100-150 per season. Small comfort, but there you have it. 

R1s got no love for Film Studies. See you soon, Fall 2016. 

• 2 weeks later...

I have been accepted into MA programs at NYU, University of Chicago (MAPH), and Chapman Univeristy. I was hoping for a PhD program in Film/Cinema Studies, so I have no idea what my decision is going to be as of now.

NYU is extremely expensive, so I've all but scratched it off my list. Any Tisch enthusiasts should feel free to defend why I should go $100K into debt for a NYU MA.

MAPH is odd in that it is a 1-year program that is also not film-specific.The shorter nature of the program appeals to me since I am eager begin my PhD; however, I worry about accumulating so much student debt in such a short amount of time. I also worry that a general 1-year degree in "humanities" will not be enough time/work for me to impress Film PhD programs when I reapply.

Chapman is obviously smaller and less expensive, but would be a big move for me. Is there anyone out there who completed the Cinema Studies MA at Chapman? What did you think and where are you now?

I would appreciate any thoughts or advice as I'm struggling with this choice!

creeplin,

I would not go $100k into debt to attend NYU. I actually sat in on a course there (French New Wave with Robert Stam) in the Fall, and the program seems more like an extension of undergraduate study than a serious Master's program. The class was quite full (about 15 students), hardly engaged with the curriculum, and the rapport was stilted/lecture style. My impression is that they have bloated their M.A. program in recent years in order to generate cash. I doubt that most M.A. students form close/lasting relationships with the professors and the program will not (without significant effort on your part) lend itself to the professional experience you may need to build in order to compete for doctoral programs again in two years. Don't cripple yourself with debt just to go to NYU. 

MAPH is also very expensive and a similar cash generator. I personally would not do it, but U Chicago's site has testimonials which suggest that at least some students find success in the program.

In terms of Chapman, I unfortunately don't know anything about the school/program. I'd email the faculty with your questions/concerns and what you want to get out of the program and see if it's a good fit. 

From having gone through a private university for both my B.A. and M.A., my (perhaps biased) advice is to choose an inexpensive program with a small cohort that is engaged in your area(s) of inquiry and caters to students who are on a PhD track. 

Good luck! Hope you end up somewhere awesome  :rolleyes: