What are some good safety schools for rhet/comp?

Hi guys!

First time poster, long time lurker. I'm looking to apply for the Fall 2015 season and I'm wondering what are some good safety schools for rhet/comp?  I'm applying to UConn, SUNY Albany, URI, University of Waterloo and potentially a few others. I'm looking for one that would definitely be considered a safety school.

A little bit about me, I come from a small public liberal arts school. My cumulative GPA is a bit lower than I'd like, 3.65, however my major GPA is closer to a 3.8. I've presented at two conferences so far and by the end of my senior year will have completed an honors thesis to satisfy the requirements for the university honors program. I've also completed multiple independent studies and teaching assistantships involving rhetoric and composition with a dash of cultural studies.

Anything you guys can say to help is much appreciated!

I agree with Mikers86. I'm not on the Comp/rhet track, but I understand that there aren't a lot of programs in that field just yet, while there are a lot of applicants. Reports over the past few years have shown that going the comp/rhet route leads to a higher level of employment, but the problem is that it has caused a lot more prospective grad students to look in that direction as a result, making it a lot more competitive. Thus, most programs will have a lot of applicants.

From your post, I'm guessing you have (or are getting) your BA, rather than an MA. This is 100% my opinion, but it might be to your advantage to think of MA programs as "safety" possibilities, since there is generally (not always, but often) a higher acceptance rate for those. It also provides you with another year to learn, gain experience, and strengthen your general academic chops for a reapplication next year if you happen to be shut out of Ph.D. programs.

I agree with mikers and Wyatt'sTorch that no PhD program should be considered a safety school, but if we know your interests and goals, we can suggest programs where you'll be a more competitive candidate. What are your research interests? Are you applying to MA and/or PhD programs? What is your career goal (university professor, community college instructor, high school teacher, editor, etc)? 

I, too, agree that the idea of safety schools can be unhelpful at the grad level. Here's a former thread that discussed the idea at length last season: 

One thing I did want to mention, too, is that it sounds like you are in a great place to be a competitive applicant. Of course it's just my opinion, but having conference participation and taking the steps to do independent study in rhet/comp at the undergrad level are great points that will be invaluable as you are drafting up your SOP.

Have you come across any scholars that are particularly of interest to your studies? Any topics that peak your interest? As proflorax mentions, knowing a bit more about your interests is tremendously helpful in offering suggestions for programs that may be more/less competitive in their applications.

I agree with Mikers86. I'm not on the Comp/rhet track, but I understand that there aren't a lot of programs in that field just yet, while there are a lot of applicants. Reports over the past few years have shown that going the comp/rhet route leads to a higher level of employment, but the problem is that it has caused a lot more prospective grad students to look in that direction as a result, making it a lot more competitive. Thus, most programs will have a lot of applicants.

From your post, I'm guessing you have (or are getting) your BA, rather than an MA. This is 100% my opinion, but it might be to your advantage to think of MA programs as "safety" possibilities, since there is generally (not always, but often) a higher acceptance rate for those. It also provides you with another year to learn, gain experience, and strengthen your general academic chops for a reapplication next year if you happen to be shut out of Ph.D. programs.

I'm more drawn into PhD programs partially for funding purposes. I know I want to go into academia, so it's also a commitment I'd be willing to make, however I'm also looking into funded MA programs (also, I know, more competitive).

I agree with mikers and Wyatt'sTorch that no PhD program should be considered a safety school, but if we know your interests and goals, we can suggest programs where you'll be a more competitive candidate. What are your research interests? Are you applying to MA and/or PhD programs? What is your career goal (university professor, community college instructor, high school teacher, editor, etc)? 

I, too, agree that the idea of safety schools can be unhelpful at the grad level. Here's a former thread that discussed the idea at length last season: 

One thing I did want to mention, too, is that it sounds like you are in a great place to be a competitive applicant. Of course it's just my opinion, but having conference participation and taking the steps to do independent study in rhet/comp at the undergrad level are great points that will be invaluable as you are drafting up your SOP.

Have you come across any scholars that are particularly of interest to your studies? Any topics that peak your interest? As proflorax mentions, knowing a bit more about your interests is tremendously helpful in offering suggestions for programs that may be more/less competitive in their applications.

I've worked for two semesters as a tutor in our University Writing Center, so pedagogy is certainly one of my interests. I'm a women's studies minor so feminist rhetoric is a potential research interest. I'm mostly vested in examining the rhetoric of nonconventional texts or media, like with an independent study I completed that examined rhetoric and representation in a few Marvel Superhero films. This is what drew me also into cultural studies as potentially a subfield. Anything you guys have to help would be great! One of my bigger worries is that because I go to a very small public school that I won't be as competitive of an applicant in relation to those who went to larger programs.

I've worked for two semesters as a tutor in our University Writing Center, so pedagogy is certainly one of my interests. I'm a women's studies minor so feminist rhetoric is a potential research interest. I'm mostly vested in examining the rhetoric of nonconventional texts or media, like with an independent study I completed that examined rhetoric and representation in a few Marvel Superhero films. This is what drew me also into cultural studies as potentially a subfield. Anything you guys have to help would be great! One of my bigger worries is that because I go to a very small public school that I won't be as competitive of an applicant in relation to those who went to larger programs.

Okay, now we can get started! If writing centers are an interest of yours, check with Academicat; one of her main interests is writing center administration. She's heading to Ohio State, but I can't remember what other programs she applied to. For feminist rhetoric, University of Arizona, Miami University, Ohio State, Maryland, Arizona State University, and Penn State are all great places. Miami and the two Arizonas both have funded rhet/comp MA's... I think. There are definitely more, but those were the programs on my radar. The great thing is that most all rhetoric programs will welcome students who are into nonconventional texts or media. I don't know of any with a stated cultural studies emphasis, but since rhetoric is found in pretty much any medium, you'll likely be encouraged to go out and discover some ripe pop culture texts for analysis! I am working on an article right now about a queer feminist zine that was popular in the early aughts; I also work with Twitter hashtags. I've never had a problem convincing a professor in rhet/comp that a certain text was worth studying. Still, it may be wise to look at the last few issues of some of the big journals in our field (Rhetoric Society Quarterly, Rhetoric Review, CCC) and see if anyone is doing the kind of work you want to do. Then, see where they work/study and where they went to grad school. That may help you narrow down the list.

As for your concerns about your competitiveness, I'm with Chadillac. You seem like you actually have some pretty strong assets under your belt. One of the great things about our field is that prestige of your undergrad institution doesn't hold weight. I don't think I know any rhet/comp grad students who came from the Ivy system! Rhet/comp as a field flourishes in public institutions (I don't know of any privates that even offer a rhet/comp emphasis), so don't consider your undergrad a deficit. 

Right. In my opinion, I think your interests are varied and general enough to be applied to many, many grad programs in rhet/comp. Primarily, because pedagogy is such a strong part of rhet/comp in general, most if not all programs will have a strong emphasis here, though you might want to check out the International Writing Centers Association (IWCA) or the Writing Center Journal to see which institutions are represented by their scholars as being leaders in writing center pedagogy specifically.

Generally speaking, feminist rhetoric will be similar: there are lots of people doing work here at many institutions. You might be interested in checking out (or joining) the Coalition of Women Scholars in the History of Rhetoric and Composition (CWSHRC) and more specifically the related conference FemRhets to see where scholars interested in this work are located. Here's a link to former conference programs: http://femrhets.cwshrc.org/past-conferences/.  Though, if you have a specific historical interest related to this area (maybe with your interests it would be contemporary feminist and cultural rhetorics?) you might be able to narrow down the search a bit.

Nonconventional texts and media, which you will see more under the term of multimodal composition, is also a big topic, but narrowing it down to graphic fiction is helpful. I just did a bit of poking around on the Kairos website and found a number of articles that might point you toward scholars and institutions doing work in the area; here's the link: http://www.google.com/cse?cx=006155699516671758047%3Abyaez4fl6ce&ie=UTF-8&q=comics#gsc.tab=0&gsc.q=comics

With all that said, I stick to my claim that you will have the resources to succeed at many programs. Nearly all unis have a writing center now, and feminist and multimodal scholars are a staple to any department. Though, with that said, you might want to look into Michigan State if you haven't already. It will not be a safety school by any means--it's regarded as one of the top programs in the country--but I feel as though the program would align well with your specific interests in cultural studies. I have some personal reservations about the program we can talk about if you PM me, but there's no arguing it's a great program.

I'm sure you'll get better advice from others on the thread, but I think this is at least a good place to start!

You might consider looking at the program of last fall's Feminisms and Rhetorics conference for titles of panels and papers that interest you, and then you could research the presenters.

http://cwshrc.org/femrhet2013/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/FemRhet-Program-2013-reduced1.pdf

If you're interested in writing center work, you could find a lot of great information on the WPA listserv archives.

https://lists.asu.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A0=WPA-L

I have a few thoughts here, though I'm hardly an expert as an incoming MA. First, I don't believe any of the top programs (or really any programs) accept direct PhD candidates without an MA/MS (or at least none of the 20 or so I looked at did). That shouldn't matter, however, at comp/rhet programs do have funding in many places for the MA, as you are going to be TAing in the FYC program or working in a writing center. The better news for you is that I got funding with lesser qualifications than yours, so you should be fine.

Now, as to safety schools... I'm with the rest of the folks here who say that there is no such thing. I had one safety school, in my mind, and it was the last program to offer me admission, off the waitlist (in mid-May).

I also encourage you to stretch a bit past the programs you have listed above.

First, I don't believe any of the top programs (or really any programs) accept direct PhD candidates without an MA/MS (or at least none of the 20 or so I looked at did). 

I agree with almost everything you wrote, except this little bit. Ohio State, Miami University, U of Illinois, Penn State, and U of Arizona are a handful of programs I know that do accept and have accepted direct-admit PhD students sans an MA. Last year during campus visits and on GradCafe, I met some folks with BA's who applied to and were accepted into those programs. Actually, Penn State is notorious for only accepting applicants with a BA.

In general, the question of whether to apply first to an MA or not depends so much on the candidate. I think it's wise to apply to both; I'm grateful I did that my first round, as I was rejected from all PhD programs (I also was an American lit applicant at the time). An MA gives students time to narrow their interests, potentially gain teaching experience, and write a killer writing sample. However, an MA takes more time and money (many funded MA programs don't offer enough money to cover all living expenses). There are certainly pros and cons to both approaches, and I am happy that I earned my MA first (otherwise I would have never been introduced to rhet/comp!). 

I agree with almost everything you wrote, except this little bit. Ohio State, Miami University, U of Illinois, Penn State, and U of Arizona are a handful of programs I know that do accept and have accepted direct-admit PhD students sans an MA. Last year during campus visits and on GradCafe, I met some folks with BA's who applied to and were accepted into those programs. Actually, Penn State is notorious for only accepting applicants with a BA.

In general, the question of whether to apply first to an MA or not depends so much on the candidate. I think it's wise to apply to both; I'm grateful I did that my first round, as I was rejected from all PhD programs (I also was an American lit applicant at the time). An MA gives students time to narrow their interests, potentially gain teaching experience, and write a killer writing sample. However, an MA takes more time and money (many funded MA programs don't offer enough money to cover all living expenses). There are certainly pros and cons to both approaches, and I am happy that I earned my MA first (otherwise I would have never been introduced to rhet/comp!). 

Are you sure? I'm almost positive that OSU requires the MA before starting the PhD (though I do believe that they offer it as a two-part program with one acceptance). If not, the op should definitely look at OSU (It's on my own PhD list, as I would kill to work with Dr. Selfe)

Are you sure? I'm almost positive that OSU requires the MA before starting the PhD (though I do believe that they offer it as a two-part program with one acceptance). If not, the op should definitely look at OSU (It's on my own PhD list, as I would kill to work with Dr. Selfe)

Yup! A few years ago, Ohio State ended their MA program and changed to an MA/PhD program. Students earn their MA first, and then are moved straight onto the PhD program. And working with Cynthia Selfe would be amazing; she was my mentor at the GRN, and I loved her spunk and kindness! 

I'm not sure if anyone mentioned UMass Amherst as a potential school. I did my undergrad there and I have one friend doing her MA/PhD in Rhet/Comp there now. It is a great school and they have a certificate in women's studies you could take in addition to the MA/PhD work if you wanted more qualifications. As for funding, you get accepted and then you apply for it. It seems most people are successful and funding is for 7 years, which is pretty decent. It is by no means a safety school as I have heard it is ranked highly in this specialty, but it might be an option as they accept students from all types of schools. 

I believe-- and I could be wrong-- that Cindy Selfe is no longer taking on new advisees.

The rumors are partially true. Cindy Selfe is retiring in two years. She agreed to be my joint advisor (I have a second) because she won't be around for my whole PhD. I'm pleased to get to work with her in any capacity because she was a large part of the appeal of OSU.

Edited by Academicat

The rumors are partially true. Cindy Selfe is retiring in two years. She agreed to be my joint advisor (I have a second) because she won't be around for my whole PhD. I'm pleased to get to work with her in any capacity because she was a large part of the appeal of OSU.

That makes at least three of us that I know of! It's great that even so close to retirement, Cindy is offering to be close to the incoming cohort. She's great.

Yup! A few years ago, Ohio State ended their MA program and changed to an MA/PhD program. Students earn their MA first, and then are moved straight onto the PhD program. And working with Cynthia Selfe would be amazing; she was my mentor at the GRN, and I loved her spunk and kindness! 

Ya. I'm hoping that she stays active in the community after retirement. I walked her through Google Glass after our town hall, which was a thrill for me. Never thought I would get to teach her anything.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm more drawn into PhD programs partially for funding purposes. I know I want to go into academia, so it's also a commitment I'd be willing to make, however I'm also looking into funded MA programs (also, I know, more competitive).

Hello! I'm a bit of a lurker, but I thought I'd chime in and offer my thoughts. As others have already mentioned, you absolutely do have interests that bode well with rhet/comp, and you'll thrive in any program that encourages you to further explore those interests and find ways to connect them to your teaching.

As I'm sure you're aware at this point, there aren't a whole lot of rhet/comp phd programs that will accept students straight from a BA--so if I were to offer any advice, it would be to look into MA programs. I do agree that the field is a bit saturated, but that also means that there are many fantastic teacher-scholars working at regional universities across the country. These are excellent places to grow and develop your interests & gain experience tutoring/teaching. I received my MA from one of these said institutions, and I view it as being very important for my personal and professional development.

I can't speak to what most MA programs offer for funding, but I can say confidently that you're looking into a field where unfunded offers are uncommon. I can share more information off list about my MA funding package if that's useful to you.

I wish you best of luck in finding a program that's not only good for your interests, but also one that's positive, supportive, eclectic, professionalizing, and challenging. I agree with the other posters here that the safety school concept doesn't bode well with the graduate level in our field. Besides, you really don't want to commit to a program if you think you might be unhappy there.