GRE for Doctoral Students in English Literature

Hi,

I want to pursue PhD in US. With my basic research I understand that I should take GRE subject test in English Literature. Can any one correct me if I'm wrong? I would also know the process to enroll oneself in a college once we get a good score. I'm an international student and would like to start aiming at GRE.

Thank you!

The simple answer is that it totally depends on the school. Four or five of the programs I am applying to require the GRE Subject test, while the rest do not. Some programs don't require the test, but prefer it, and some will "look at your scores" if you submit them, but don't overtly state that they want them. It's part of the research process, unfortunately. You'll just have to visit every admissions page of each program that appeals to you. Depending on where you're planning on applying, you may or may not need to take it.

Hi, madhusirmani. Welcome!

As Wyatt's Torch mentioned, each school will have a slightly different process for applying to their program, so you will want to look at the university and department websites for each school you are wanting to apply to for more information. These websites will list their GRE requirements, too.

From your thread's title, I see you are interested in English lit, so you are right in thinking that most schools will require you take both the GRE general and GRE subject tests. If you do indeed need to take the subject test, I recommend you look to enroll to take it as soon as possible, as there are a very limited number of times per year in which you can take that test. The GRE general, on the other hand, can be taken just about any day of the year. Have you done some looking around the GRE website? If not, the link to do so is here: http://www.ets.org/gre.

Best of luck with your applications!

Edited by Chadillac

I believe there are currently two testing dates for the Subject Test in late September, as well as two in late October. I registered for one of the September dates so that if I know immediately after I take it that I absolutely bombed it, I'll have the option of retaking it the next month. I'm fairly certain these four dates are the only ones until sometime in the spring of 2015, however.

I believe there are currently two testing dates for the Subject Test in late September, as well as two in late October. I registered for one of the September dates so that if I know immediately after I take it that I absolutely bombed it, I'll have the option of retaking it the next month. I'm fairly certain these four dates are the only ones until sometime in the spring of 2015, however.

Also an important sidenote - if anybody else is an applicant from Canada, the testing dates are offered in a limited amount of locations, so make sure to sign up early! Unfortunately, where I live I can only take the test in October, so it's kind of a brutal scheduling misnomer.