Does it make sense to choose a POI in my application of whom I just like the work without having actual experience on the specific topic?

blubb

Some of the labs I am interested in conducting research during grad school, I cannot provide much impressive background/neither did I take classes on that specific topic, I just think their research is cool and relevant.(same area of computer science but it's a rather broad area and one professor usually cannot cover "everything"). Does it still make sense to choose such a professor as POI in my application, although I might not provide any technical "expertise" directly to the lab?

Yes.  It is what interests you, so name it.  Plus I think schools appreciate you taking time to research their faculty and potential advisors so they know you actually are interested in their program.  I would make sure not to list only one however as this appears kind of narrow and not flexible with research, which is not a good look to have going into interviews.

Yes.  It is what interests you, so name it.  Plus I think schools appreciate you taking time to research their faculty and potential advisors so they know you actually are interested in their program.  I would make sure not to list only one however as this appears kind of narrow and not flexible with research, which is not a good look to have going into interviews.

I disagree with the second sentence. Even my broader topic (behavioural epigenetics) is so new, that only several professors in the country, much less a grad school, do it. Then I have to consider the professors that can't take grad students, and I'm pretty much left with only one professor each from a few schools.

You still want to seem somewhat focused on your topic and not all over the place, too.

I still don't get what's with the negativity with knowing what you want to research. I've found that it leaves a good impression with the POIs that I've talked to.

If you want to take the approach of something "Cool and relevant," you have to make sure you show exactly how it ties in with what you really want to do. Just stating a name to say something is cool while not fully illustrating the value you could possibly bring is like stating that you like chocolate cake while applying to a neuroscience program. - Admissions Advice Online 

If you are seriously interested in these areas then you should be reading papers daily to learn more and focus your interests. Lacking experience in a particular area is not a big deal if you are actively learning about the area on your own by reading papers.

Well lets assume I did my homework - e.g. reading papers in the specific field of my POI. Then I am still wondering how my slightly different past experience (except non-substantial paper reading out of private interests) could be matched in the application with my POI? I should probably add that my lack of experience in that specific area is that my current university simply doesn't have such a lab.

I guess there were previous applicants in similar situations who got accepted - how did you do it? :rolleyes:

Edited by blubb