MS without research experience

amcintire

Hey, all!

I am wanting to apply to MS programs for biochemistry or biotechnology but have no research experience... I know for PhD programs doing research is basically required but I can't find much as far as Master's programs go. Am I completely screwed?

Not a biologist, but I applied to Materials Science programs with no research experience and was accepted to a few schools. As the previous commenter mentioned, MS programs are a lot less stringent.

I hate to give the "it depends" answer but I think it's true here. For example, if you are applying to professionally oriented programs then I doubt they care. They will be more interested in internships and other experience. For research oriented programs, they probably care more but not as much as phd programs.

This also really depends on your other stats. If you have >3.5 GPA and >320 GRE score then the research may not be as necessary as someone applying with a 3.0 and average GRE scores. It also depends on how highly of a ranked school you want to go to... Harvard might care more than your state school.

I know of two people who were almost denied admissions because both had extremely low quant scores (GRE).  Yet both had a substantial amount of undergraduate research/internships which the adcoms seemed to have found impressive. 

In terms of biology, I would say that it depends on either the program or the track.  If the program has a research/thesis component or offers a research/thesis track, I would guess that some undergraduate research is necessary even if just literature based.