Storage and effective use of space in a rather small bedroom

maelia8

I know we already have threads here for decluttering as you move into a small apartment as well as utilizing space effectively in a studio, but what about just a bedroom? I'm moving into an apartment with two other grad students who have already furnished the entire apartment - all I need to do is fill my bedroom. However, this bedroom is quite small (about 8x10), and everything I'm bringing with me when I move has got to fit in there somehow.

Does anybody have tips in terms of maximizing storage space (I will have a VERY small closet, only about 3x3 WxD), or have ideas about whether having a desk, a double bed, and a couple of small bookcases in there is realistic or a pipe dream? Links to specific furniture options welcome.

Edited by maelia8

My bedroom is much larger (10x11) but I'm able to comfortably fit a queen-sized bed, a large desk, a dresser, a few lamps, and some (but only some) room to spare. I think a small desk, a double bed, and a small bookcase isn't impractical (but maybe not multiple bookcases?) Will your bed be raised? Can you store shoes, or some books under there?

Could you safely loft the bed and have the shelves underneath? 

For two years during my undergrad, I was in a teeeeeeeeeeeeny private room (about the same size, 8x10) and lofting the bed helped a LOT. I usually kept a set of wire cube shelves and the dresser under the bed (I kept suitcases and storage bins behind the dresser, since we had wardrobes instead of closets). 

If you DO loft the bed (after making sure it can be done safely), I'd recommend picking up a stepladder with wide steps. It's a LOT easier to get up and down when you're not worried about falling.

Is it possible to loft a double/full bed? Anyone know where you can get a frame for that? I haven't really seen them … I was also thinking of possibly getting a double/full bed frame with storage drawer space underneath or even built in.

http://www.potterybarn.com/design-studio/tool/living_rooms_room_planner.html

I like to use this tool for planning my rooms. You can input exact measurements if you have them and see how things look. You can also use their default furniture just to get an idea.

Make use of as much vertical space as possible. For example maybe you could stack and reinforce the two bookcases, and then reinforce into the wall using studs in the wall for safety. When you move out, you could fill in the holes and paint so you don't lose a ton of your deposit.

If you can go loft-style, I think you should do it. If you can't find one in your budget you might look for secondhand bunk beds and use one of the levels for storage.

Or, you could get a set of "risers" that will raise a conventional bed frame up a bit so that you have *some* storage underneath. Or, search craigslist, etc. for a simple high bed frame - they make ones that give so much room underneath you could fit entire file boxes and drawers underneath. Based on my experience, not recommended for those with bad backs though - and I think it's designed for use without a foundation. Then again, maybe it's okay for bad backs with a good mattress. I had a crappy mattress. I used to have this kind of frame:

http://tinyurl.com/n558j3b