Question re: Including Research Interests in Personal Statement and Professor Emails

lindzardz

Hi all,

I am a current MA student in clinical psych planning to apply to clinical psych PhD programs in the Fall. My question is how much information is appropriate to include regarding specific research interests? I know what I am interested in studying (resettled refugee populations, specifically female, highly interested in refugees resettling from Syria in the States or Germany,  survivors of sexual assault, PTSD or depressive or anxious symptomatology) but I am not entirely sure WHAT exactly I want to study just yet (thinking about exploring the differences of symptomatology between resettled refugees and refugees in host countries closer to their home country or internally displaced individuals). I am worried that if I get too specific, I will turn professors off. I worry if I am too vague, I will also turn professors off. I also am still mentally developing the ins and outs of what I want my dissertation to be on and I don't know if I need to have it entirely figured out by the time I enter into a PhD program. But maybe I am totally wrong. That's why I need you guys! Thoughts? Ideas? How much should I have figured out with my current research interests before I start contacting professors and writing my personal statement??

All the best and thanks in advance!

Edited by lindzardz

I've gotten the sense from speaking to successful applicants that the email to POIs should be used to very briefly introduce yourself, explain in a sentence or two what you like about their research, and establish whether or not they will be taking students. If you want to go a step further you can always attach your CV but it is important to keep the text of the email short and to the point, as professors receive tons of these emails every year. You can and should address your specific interests in your personal statement.

Thanks for you response! To what extent should the personal statement expand on my research interests? I guess I'm asking, should I be laying out the quick version of a research proposal for my dissertation? Or a general overview of my interests?

I looked at the personal statement as a way to show how I could help the program. It follows that my statement was (along with the typical talk of past experiences, etc.) a general overview of my interests and how they related to my POIs research projects. I waited until the interview process to talk in depth about specific ideas I had for research as I thought face to face interactions would be more conducive to having a meaningful back and forth with my POI.

Gotcha. This was what I was planning to do myself but I just wan't entirely sure if others did it this way. Thanks so much for you input!

I would be curious what others have to say about this topic, maybe from experience also?