Back-to-school shopping tips

penny123

This seems like a very specific software that you're advertising as discounted ... why not just download Handbrake for free?

A less specific tip, but it never hurts to ask for a student discount wherever you buy anything. If you buy hardware or software from companies, always Google them to see if they have a separate academic purchasing website (Apple has one which most people know about, but I just found Lenovo has one as well). I just signed up for Amazon Prime student, and have six months of free shipping for all the textbooks, supplies, and random crap I need before the semester starts.

if you need school/office supplies, this website tracks weekly deals at several retailers: http://www.passionforsavings.com/back-to-school/

It's geared towards teachers and parents for children's school supplies (ie, they will always tell you when there's a sale on Crayola, which isn't so relevant to the grad school crowd). But it also has prices for paper, binder clips, highlighters, folders, files, index cards, pen, pencils, post its.....