How You Spent Your Summer

It's August now, and I'm guessing that Grad Cafe will start to bustle as application season is upon us (Yale's window opens August 15th, with most others opening up in September). So I figure it might be fun to talk about what we've all been doing this summer -- working? Internship? Vacation abroad? Lounging around and playing Xbox? Feel free to share!

Personally, I took a summer course to help fill out the credits I'll need to complete my BA in the spring. I also had a couple of mini vacations -- one with my wife and in-laws to Charleston, SC, and another to NYC to see Kenneth Branagh in Macbeth. I had planned on getting an internship, but didn't make it a priority this past spring, meaning I've had a fair amount of time on my hands this summer. However, other than having a periodic case of the summer doldrums, I've mostly put the extra time to good use in researching various institutions and programs, as well as writing drafts of my SOP (which, thanks to the peer reviewing of a few other wonderful GC members, is pretty much complete). I also took the GRE general a couple of times, and have been doing a great deal of reading to fill in some of the gaps I have in terms of literature (with a view to the GRE subject test next month). So all in all, it has been moderately productive, though not overly invigorating. How about you?

Edited by Wyatt's Torch

I love mini-vacations! I went to Savannah, Georgia with the hubs back in June. It was lovely and the first time this Californian had real sweet tea. Now I'm hooked!

As for the rest of the summer, I was fortunate enough to receive a hefty summer fellowship to complete my language requirement, so I didn't have to work or teach. I spent a month at Gallaudet University in their immersive summer ASL program, and as of this week, I am the first English grad student at UMD to satisfy the language requirement with ASL! The program itself was great, too. We had wonderful teachers and great classmates who were dedicated to becoming fluent in sign. I want to continue developing my ASL knowledge and skills throughout my time here in DC, so I'm sure that wasn't my last class at Gally.

Other than that, I've been assisting in a research project for my writing program, marathoning all the things on Netflix (I finished up re-watching The Office and the first four seasons of the West Wing; now, I starting Nikita for the first time), and preparing for all things baby. I've read through a couple of pregnancy books, did a prenatal yoga class, and started the registry. Oh, we also had our twenty week ultrasound this week and found out we are having a girl. :)

Next week, the hubs and I fly out to California for some much needed family time. We won't be able to fly out during the holidays (doctors frown on going into labor while 30,000 feet in the air), so we're spending two weeks with both of our families, soaking in all the family love, oceanic breeze, and burritos we can. 

That's awesome, Proflorax! Yes, I forgot to mention that I spent some time binge watching Netflix as well (rewatching the cult classic Battlestar Galactica).

It's funny that you mention ASL -- I was thinking of mentioning that possibility on a recent GC thread! A lot of folks forget about it, but it's certainly valid. I used to take notes for a deaf girl in one of my classes...mainly because her "signer" just couldn't keep up with the prof! It's easy to underestimate the importance of sign language.

By the way, I lived in SoCal for half a year back in 2001 and loved it. I would move back in a heartbeat. I also spent some time in the Bay Area. My wife hasn't been to California, and has no particular desire to relocate there (though she will if need be), but part of me is secretly hoping I get accepted into Stanford or Berkeley so that I can move back. I'm really more of a West Coast kinda guy anyhow.

Well, I started off the summer by getting married (huzzah!), and then for our "honeymoon," we went to see Beyonce & Jay Z in concert  B).

I haven't been doing much else this summer because while I do have a part time job, they hadn't been in need of much help for the last month or so, but now we're into the busy season, so I'm getting like 30+ hours a week, which is nice for the bank account. Cuz all the moving expenses and new bills have been taking a serious bite out of our finances.

I've also been reading a lot more non-school related stuff. I don't usually have much time for it during the school year, but I do now. And I have a pretty good amount of books on my Kindle, so I always have something to go to.

Hi all, I'm new to GC, so am just responding to various posts in sundry topics in the Lit/Rhet forum to try and join in some conversations. Most of you sound like you've had a pretty enjoyable summer! Mine has been enjoyable, though nothing close to a "vacation"--today was the last day of the six-week intensive course in introductory Latin I've been taking at UChicago. Two semesters of Latin in six weeks has my brain feeling pretty exhausted, but I have about three weeks before my new job starts, so I'm looking forward to catching up on the rest of life. Namely, I need to finalize my list of schools, keep studying for the GRE Subject test, draft my SoP, and put together my syllabi for the two classes I'm teaching this semester. So basically, there truly ain't no rest for the wicked (which I sort of am, given that I ought to have made more progress toward preparing my application materials by now!).

Welcome, Felibus! That sounds like a busy summer, to be sure. And I don't think you're really all that far behind the curve when it comes to your application preparations. If previous years of Grad Cafe threads are any indication, most folks start ramping up in October. And you'll probably find that the finalization of your schools list is never really finalized...at least that's my experience so far. Duke had been on my "for sure!" list for awhile, but now I'm not even planning on applying there (yet who knows -- that could change again!). Two months ago I wouldn't have even considered Harvard, Yale, or Princeton, but now they're my top choices (not just because they're no-brainer top-tier schools, but because they really are great fits for my proposed course of study...)

Inducting yourself into learning a vital language for your area of interest is probably one of the best things you could have done this summer, and that's going to make for a great line or two on your SOP. Congrats!

Felibus--how exciting! I've done intensive summer language study twice before--it's draining, really just extraordinarily mentally taxing, but it's so cool to look back and reflect on how much progress you've made in a short time. What text did your Latin program use?

My summer was also pretty uneventful, and also a weird mix of productivity and sloth. On the one hand, I made some great progress on my applications--got my SOP drafted and through the initial stages of review, made some recommended edits to the paper I'm using as my writing sample, researched schools and (sort of, but every time I say this it up and changes!) finalized my list, registered for the GRE, etc. I've also been doing a lot of background theory reading, as well as doing some reading practice in a couple of my languages. I've also been working my part time job at my school's Medieval/Renaissance Studies center (but not doing anything particularly interesting or edifying). On the other hand, studying for the subject GRE has been like pulling teeth, only more painful, because it's in fits and starts, and I haven't done nearly as much language study as I'd hoped/planned on, either. I too, have been drawn in to the seductive timesink that is streaming television--ugh. Proflorax--if I hadn't just rewatched the entirety of The West Wing fall semester, I'd be right there with you! I'm also, frankly, really damn antsy for this semester to get underway--not only because I'm excited for my classes, but because I want to put all these application shenanigans behind me.

There have been some high points, though--family and friends coming out to visit us, and a couple of mini-vacations here and there when my partner's crazy work schedule has allowed, and another one coming up before classes start!

You guys have all been so productive! It's fantastic!

I've spent the summer working on funded research through my school. It's been really wonderful, and super eye opening about the research process. And also prepping for the GRE... Somewhat. :)

Welcome, Felibus! That sounds like a busy summer, to be sure. And I don't think you're really all that far behind the curve when it comes to your application preparations. If previous years of Grad Cafe threads are any indication, most folks start ramping up in October. And you'll probably find that the finalization of your schools list is never really finalized...at least that's my experience so far. Duke had been on my "for sure!" list for awhile, but now I'm not even planning on applying there (yet who knows -- that could change again!). Two months ago I wouldn't have even considered Harvard, Yale, or Princeton, but now they're my top choices (not just because they're no-brainer top-tier schools, but because they really are great fits for my proposed course of study...)

Inducting yourself into learning a vital language for your area of interest is probably one of the best things you could have done this summer, and that's going to make for a great line or two on your SOP. Congrats!

Glad to see that I'm not *super* behind in preparing for the upcoming whirlwind that is application season! When I did my M.A. applications two years ago, I procrastinated a LOT (a lot, a lot), so I've been trying not to end up stumbling down that path again this year.

I'm really quite happy to have spent most of the summer doing language studies; it makes me feel like I've been especially productive this year (and I'm also realizing it was, in fact, extremely productive). Unræed, my course used Keller & Russel's Learn to Read Latin textbook/workbook set. I've gone ahead and purchased the Wheelock set, though, so I can keep studying on my own during this "year off." That's pretty cool you're working at a Med/Ren Studies center; is it kind of a desk job or do you get to do research work with professors, etc.?

*UGH* is all I have to say about studying for the Subject test...but such is my general sentiment about the application process, mixed in with nervous anticipation and little-kid excitement...

*UGH* is all I have to say about studying for the Subject test...but such is my general sentiment about the application process, mixed in with nervous anticipation and little-kid excitement...

Wow. This sentence so accurately reflects my current state of mind right now, it's not even funny...especially the mix of "nervous anticpation and little-kid excitement" part. It's so weird, isn't it? Applications are a huge slog, but knowing that in seven months there's a good chance that you'll be preparing to move to a new city to spend five or more years getting paid to work on the material dearest to your heart... It's hard not to get kinda giddy, isn't it?

Glad to see that I'm not *super* behind in preparing for the upcoming whirlwind that is application season! When I did my M.A. applications two years ago, I procrastinated a LOT (a lot, a lot), so I've been trying not to end up stumbling down that path again this year.

I'm really quite happy to have spent most of the summer doing language studies; it makes me feel like I've been especially productive this year (and I'm also realizing it was, in fact, extremely productive). Unræed, my course used Keller & Russel's Learn to Read Latin textbook/workbook set. I've gone ahead and purchased the Wheelock set, though, so I can keep studying on my own during this "year off." That's pretty cool you're working at a Med/Ren Studies center; is it kind of a desk job or do you get to do research work with professors, etc.?

I second (third, fourth) your "UGH" in re the subject test. And WT's right about your statement of general application antsy-ness; that's exactly the feeling--it's like Christmas morning, only with the possibility of chainsaws.

The job's overwhelmingly clerical desk sitting. I don't get to help with research per se, but I'm involved in a lot of digitization--the manuscript slides of one prof and the back issues of a journal put out by the Medievalist organization for which one of our profs is an officer. It's still been a great opportunity for me to get to know a lot of the profs before I've had them in class, though, and keep in touch with them after. (Not that, like, that's the reason I took the job or anything. No, not at all. Nothing like that.)

I covet your Keller and Russel--I've never worked with it, but it looks amazing!

Wow. This sentence so accurately reflects my current state of mind right now, it's not even funny...especially the mix of "nervous anticpation and little-kid excitement" part. It's so weird, isn't it? Applications are a huge slog, but knowing that in seven months there's a good chance that you'll be preparing to move to a new city to spend five or more years getting paid to work on the material dearest to your heart... It's hard not to get kinda giddy, isn't it?

Precisely! The giddiness almost even overwhelms that whole nauseating expectation of chainsaws! (Love that, Unræd. Too perfect.)

And yes, the K&R textbook set was a great beginner's guide to Latin, for sure. I recommend it to anyone thinking about "teaching themselves" or looking for a way to review that isn't via the same textbook(s) with which they originally worked...

My summer has been absolutely jam packed so far! I smashed through graduating by June and then jumped right into studying for the General GRE, which really knocked the wind out of me in terms of motivation. Although I wrote it in early June (and studied for all of May), I've been feeling exceptionally burned out ever since. I also was diagnosed with migraines in December, and I've been trying to work through how to deal with them (I seem to get auras especially when I'm stressed) with all my upcoming responsibilities!

During my regular day, I work from as early as 7 in the morning to 8:30 at night at an outdoor pool in my area, as a head pool supervisor. I have a staff of about 25 lifeguards and 4 building attendants, and it can be difficult (but fun!) sometimes to manage the numbers, on top of being the same age as most of them. Other than that, I've written the majority of my general statement, and I've purchased the book for the English Lit GRE, which in my mind counts as beginning studying. I'm writing it in late October (the only time it is offered in my area), and I've heard that taking about 10 weeks to seriously study for the exam is the general number you should be looking for, so hopefully by mid-August I'll be good to go. I've been downloading and slowly making my way through different study guides that you can find on this forum and also have been making little cue cards to study from!

Otherwise, I'm looking forward to starting my Masters in September and also frosh week for undergraduate students, where I'll be a Frosh Leader (the last year that I can do it!) that helps mentor and guide younger students just entering the university. I have a couple trainings to look forward to; I also have a couple meetings with my department head to discuss graduation plans, etc. - and then I'm considering also applying to law school on the side as a backup in case this Ph.D. doesn't materialize :( although we all should be hoping for the best!

It's going to be a very very very busy race to the finish line, but cheers to this friendly forum and supporting each other through these times! :D I'm looking forward to panicking with each and every one of you - I jest. But seriously, I'm super appreciative for everyone I've talked to on this forum so far, and I'm proud of ourselves for daring to reach for the sky, no matter what the outcome.

My summer has been absolutely jam packed so far! I smashed through graduating by June and then jumped right into studying for the General GRE, which really knocked the wind out of me in terms of motivation. Although I wrote it in early June (and studied for all of May), I've been feeling exceptionally burned out ever since. I also was diagnosed with migraines in December, and I've been trying to work through how to deal with them (I seem to get auras especially when I'm stressed) with all my upcoming responsibilities!

I've been dealing with migraines for about six years now, and they are no picnic, that's for sure. I've never had auras with mine, though the worst ones I get are accompanied with terrible nausea, etc. They can be so frustrating during stressful times--it's like, how is it fair that my body feels like I need yet ANOTHER thing stressing me out that simultaneously makes it near-impossible to deal with the things that were stressing me out in the first place?!

Edited by felibus

I also was diagnosed with migraines in December, and I've been trying to work through how to deal with them (I seem to get auras especially when I'm stressed) with all my upcoming responsibilities!

I get migraines w/aura too, and they can be debilitating. Any sense of what (if any) your triggers are? My biggest is sunight, particularly glare from the sun (think sunlight on snow or on wet pavement...the glare you see on fenders when driving), followed by excessive eyestrain. To a lesser extent dehydration triggers them for me. I invested in some heavy duty polarized sunglasses and it cut down the number of incidents I had by at least 65%.

I've been dealing with migraines for about six years now, and they are no picnic, that's for sure. I've never had auras with mine, though the worst ones I get are accompanied with terrible nausea, etc. They can be so frustrating during stressful times--it's like, how is it fair that my body feels like I need yet ANOTHER thing stressing me out that simultaneously makes it near-impossible to deal with the things that were stressing me out in the first place?!

I get migraines w/aura too, and they can be debilitating. Any sense of what (if any) your triggers are? My biggest is sunight, particularly glare from the sun (think sunlight on snow or on wet pavement...the glare you see on fenders when driving), followed by excessive eyestrain. To a lesser extent dehydration triggers them for me. I invested in some heavy duty polarized sunglasses and it cut down the number of incidents I had by at least 65%.

Ugh, it's brutal to see that you guys are going through this too. For me, it's often strangely before a strong weather pattern - my doctor says the barometric pressure can trigger the migraines before a rainstorm. It's weirdly like having a superpower that's completely useless: "Oh look! It's about to rain! Instead of finding shelter, let me lie on the ground and clutch my head!" Sometimes I wonder how my ancestors survived.

How do you guys deal with them? Is there some magical technique to it all? Anybody have any de-stressing techniques in general (even for just general application mayhem)?!?!? :)

I've got an array of triggers, as well as an assortment of remedies. I have two prescriptions (rizatriptan and sumatriptan), one of which I take as soon as I feel a headache coming on, if possible (I usually take the former for the "worse" migraines, while the sumatriptan I take if I've got to go to class, or work, or something, and can't just fall asleep for the rest of the day). I also have anti-nausea meds. Other than that, if you can keep water down, sucking on ice cubes help to kind of cool down the nerve endings in the roof of your mouth, and cold packs kept on whatever part of your head hurts the worst usually feel nice for a while.

Sigh. I wish I had some "magic" treatment, but unfortunately I don't think anyone does yet...

As far as de-stressing goes, PLEASE share your tips, everyone! I tend to be in a constant state of stress, regardless of what is actually going on in my life at any given time, so the genuinely stressful periods are even worse...

So clearly the answer to "How you spent your summer" for many of you is "in unbearable agony." Damn. Really sorry for all of you. I get headaches quite frequently, but never full-on migraines.

If it's any consolation (it's not), just think of it as your brilliance trying to escape.

This summer I have been just worrying about applications. This includes researching hundreds of programs, trying to read anthologies to study for the subject test, crying tears of frustration from feeling inadequate, throwing my dissertation proposal at some of my current professors to get (surprisingly positive) feedback and suggestions, sleeping a lot as a procrastination technique, and making an obscene amount of flash cards. Also, I think I am the reason why the Starbucks down the street from my apartment is still open for business.

I somehow managed to make it to Hawaii for a week, move in to a new apartment, attempted to run a half marathon, and worked. This summer has been a whirlwind and as a result, I have no idea when the first day of school is. I should probably figure that out.

This summer I have been just worrying about applications. This includes researching hundreds of programs, trying to read anthologies to study for the subject test, crying tears of frustration from feeling inadequate, throwing my dissertation proposal at some of my current professors to get (surprisingly positive) feedback and suggestions, sleeping a lot as a procrastination technique, and making an obscene amount of flash cards. Also, I think I am the reason why the Starbucks down the street from my apartment is still open for business.

We are the same person. I'd like to say it gets better but I have no idea if it does.  :wacko: "obscene amount of flash cards" pretty much sums up my study technique at this point. CHEERS TO SELF-DOUBT! (I'm sure we'll all be fine. Deep breaths, guys. I have no doubt we are all above adequate!!! :))

I somehow managed to make it to Hawaii for a week, move in to a new apartment, attempted to run a half marathon, and worked. This summer has been a whirlwind and as a result, I have no idea when the first day of school is. I should probably figure that out.

Ok but hold the phone--you have a dissertation proposal already?! At best, I've got some abstract/generalized topics I'd ideally want to focus on; at worst, I have no idea what my dissertation is going to cover.