How many classes to take first semester of a Ph.D

Hi, all. I start my first semester of my Ph.D in about two weeks and I'm a bit perplexed as what I should take. There is a required class for my first semester which primarily deals with professional development, so I'm obviously enrolled in that. I was planning on retaking Latin because I haven't touched it since 2012, so I'm signed up for that but not extremely worried about the workload as it's both an undergraduate class and a review for me. Additionally, I'm signed up to take Anglo Saxon which is also somewhat of a review for me--the only difference is that we'll be moving at faster pace than my MA Anglo Saxon class and translating more difficult work. 

Is it crazy to take three classes and also teach a 2-2 load? One of my classes is TAing a Mythology seminar, so that should be significantly less work than teaching core writing, I'd imagine. 

This isn't a good question for the forum, this is something that should be discussed with your graduate advisor. Only he/she knows what you should take.

I'm not asking which courses I should take--I'm asking if other Ph.D students have taken similar loads and whether or not they have found those loads to be too overwhelming the first term of their Ph.D. Having completed an MA and taught a 1-1 with a three class load, I know that that was doable--I'm merely inquiring of other Ph.D students in English programs whether or not they've done 3 and taught a 2-2 or thought that was something that would be too much work right off the bat. Also, if you don't mind my asking, why comment on the English forum if you're already in a geodynamics program, especially if it isn't too add something constructive to the conversation? 

Are the two classes you're teaching two sections of the same course? Same syllabus? If so, my opinion, three is doable.

Zinc, they're not--I'm TAing one section of mythology (it's a recitation of a lecture) and one section of core writing (which I'll be doing my own grading, teaching, etc.). 

Edited by ArthurianChaucerian

Hmmmmm. So I personally took a lot of classes, sometimes against the advice of faculty; I took a semester with four classes a couple times. However, a) I was teaching only one class section, and B) it was freshman comp, which I've taught many times. Teaching two separate classes is a much higher bar to clear than teaching two sections of the same class. If you're teaching two different courses, my recommendation to you is to only take two classes unless you really feel that you will never have the opportunity to fit in these courses again. Especially because, as this is your first semester, you don't yet have the experience of past semesters to guide you.

Then again, if you decided to go through with it, I would understand perfectly.

Hmmmmm. So I personally took a lot of classes, sometimes against the advice of faculty; I took a semester with four classes a couple times. However, a) I was teaching only one class section, and B) it was freshman comp, which I've taught many times. Teaching two separate classes is a much higher bar to clear than teaching two sections of the same class. If you're teaching two different courses, my recommendation to you is to only take two classes unless you really feel that you will never have the opportunity to fit in these courses again. Especially because, as this is your first semester, you don't yet have the experience of past semesters to guide you.

Then again, if you decided to go through with it, I would understand perfectly.

I'm thinking about it, Zinc. I would be worried if these topics (Latin/Anglo Saxon) were brand new to me, but seeing as how they will be mostly review, I might take a leap of faith and go for them. We'll see. I'm going to an orientation for my department next week and might have a chance to ask some of the current Ph.D's' what they've done in the past.

Is it crazy to take three classes and also teach a 2-2 load? One of my classes is TAing a Mythology seminar, so that should be significantly less work than teaching core writing, I'd imagine. 

I found the terms in which I taught two sections of the same course excruciating. But everyone is going to be different. I think as long as you understand the priorities of both your classes and your courses, you will do fine. But I wouldn't be surprised if it's a tough term. I never took more than two classes in the term teaching two sections, and I don't know if I could have done a third class successfully. 

I have to take four classes and I'm a bit worried about it! Supposed to teach two courses as well that I have never taught before!

Talk to your advisors and other grad students in the department because only they really know what is manageable for your program. If you feel like you can do it, then go for it! If you feel it will be overwhelming, then don't. You could also audit Latin if it's just review. That way there's no pressure grade/assignment-wise.

Edited by iphi

I'm not asking which courses I should take--I'm asking if other Ph.D students have taken similar loads and whether or not they have found those loads to be too overwhelming the first term of their Ph.D. Having completed an MA and taught a 1-1 with a three class load, I know that that was doable--I'm merely inquiring of other Ph.D students in English programs whether or not they've done 3 and taught a 2-2 or thought that was something that would be too much work right off the bat. Also, if you don't mind my asking, why comment on the English forum if you're already in a geodynamics program, especially if it isn't too add something constructive to the conversation? 

Zinc, they're not--I'm TAing one section of mythology (it's a recitation of a lecture) and one section of core writing (which I'll be doing my own grading, teaching, etc.). 

Again, this is highly department and maybe even cohort dependent: You should be talking to your advisor and maybe the graduate program coordinator. 

Again, this is highly department and maybe even cohort dependent: You should be talking to your advisor and maybe the graduate program coordinator. 

How would the number of classes I take be cohort dependent? Again, I asked other GC people who are in my field their experience. I did not ask "who should I contact to figure this out" seeing as how I have heard people in my department do a variety of things and there isn't a hard and fast rule. Don't assume because I've posted a question on a website that I haven't done anything else. This is a bit ridiculous. 

I have to take four classes and I'm a bit worried about it! Supposed to teach two courses as well that I have never taught before!

Talk to your advisors and other grad students in the department because only they really know what is manageable for your program. If you feel like you can do it, then go for it! If you feel it will be overwhelming, then don't. You could also audit Latin if it's just review. That way there's no pressure grade/assignment-wise.

Tried to up vote this, but I've reached my positivity quota for the day. I hadn't thought of auditing Latin--definitely something I'm going to consider. 

Edited by ArthurianChaucerian

For my MA, I had a 2-2 assistantship. Because of the requirements of the program, I also had to take three classes per semester every semester except for the last one when I was writing my thesis. Honestly, most of the time it wasn't too terrible. Sometimes grading the essays got a bit unwieldy, but it was manageable. I was teaching two sections of the same course though, so there's that.

For my MA, I had a 2-2 assistantship. Because of the requirements of the program, I also had to take three classes per semester every semester except for the last one when I was writing my thesis. Honestly, most of the time it wasn't too terrible. Sometimes grading the essays got a bit unwieldy, but it was manageable. I was teaching two sections of the same course though, so there's that.

I had a similar experience with my master's program and thesis--I didn't necessarily love the grading, but it was often a break from writing which was much needed. Thanks for your input. 

• 3 weeks later...

Considering that your classes are mostly review, and that you are the TA for the mythology class, I think you should be alright.  Auditing is definitely not a bad idea though--that way if you do feel overwhelmed and need to slack off on something, you have a built-in option.

I think I'm switching to auditing one of my non-required courses.  I was originally signed up for 3, with a section of comp, and 10 hours a week in the computer lab.  Then they took my computer job away and gave me another section of comp...so taking 3 courses suddenly got a lot scarier.  All the other students I've talked to in the program seemed to think that 3 courses and 2 sections might be a bit much.  But again, they are fresh new classes, and I don't want to die during paper time.  But I suspect you will do great!

Best of luck!