Adams realty vs Fitch argument essay please critique

dicapino

The following appeared in a letter from a homeowner to a friend.

"Of the two leading real estate firms in our town—Adams Realty and Fitch Realty—Adams Realty is clearly superior. Adams has 40 real estate agents; in contrast, Fitch has 25, many of whom work only part-time. Moreover, Adams' revenue last year was twice as high as that of Fitch and included home sales that averaged $168,000, compared to Fitch's $144,000. Homes listed with Adams sell faster as well: ten years ago I listed my home with Fitch, and it took more than four months to sell; last year, when I sold another home, I listed it with Adams, and it took only one month. Thus, if you want to sell your home quickly and at a good price, you should use Adams Realty."

Write a response in which you examine the stated and/or unstated assumptions of the argument. Be sure to explain how the argument depends on these assumptions and what the implications are for the argument if the assumptions prove unwarranted.

*Hello guys this essay is not timed, and there is a difficulty for me getting flaws. Please critique*

This excerpt from a letter claims that Adams Realty sells houses more quickly, and at a better price more than its rival Fitch Realty. While this asservation may be plausible, the author argument leans on assumptions that are logically incoherent and flawed.

Firstly, this claim is based on the fact that 10years ago the author took four months to sell his house with Fitch in contrast to one month with Adam Realty more  recently. But this evidence begs the question, were the economic conditions 10years ago similar to present? May be the housing property market was not as buoyant, and there were fewer enquiries for houses in comparison with now; fewer middle class families may not have had enough credits to buy houses. There may have been more competition for customers back then due to large number of real estate agencies. The author would do well to envince that the conditions now and 10years ago are similar, and that Adams realty will have sold houses at a faster rate 10years back.

Furthermore, the author bolsters this argument with the claim that Adams had more revenue than Fitch in the last year. Yet this fall shorts to prop this argument, since the success in a year may not be particularly contingent on the preceeding year. That Adams realty would sell houses at good prices and at quicker rate is a corollary of its generated revenue. May be Adams sold much more houses than Fitch, and their clients didn’t get good prices for their houses, and yet were still able to rake in more profits because of the cornucopia of transactions.  The author can support his claim by juxtaposing the prices of houses sold by both firms last year, and give evidence that  housing market situation would not change.

Thirdly, he states that the numbers of real estate agents is more for Adams than for Fitch (many of whom are parttime staffs) to aver that it is salubrious to do business with the former. While the amount of staff could show the strenght of a company, there is no connection between selling houses quicker and at better prices and number of staffs.

In summary, Adams Realty may sell houses quicker and at better prices for its customers, but this argument is made spurious due to the lack of sufficient evidence, and several logical flaws of generalizing.