Regarding Publications and Research Interests

Shaiya

This is a somewhat long post but please bear with me. I need guidance.

I'm new here but I've spent the last two hours scouring this forum and now I feel a little stupid for not realizing how near impossible it is to get into grad school, especially PhD. A couple of people around me who have applied of PhDs have generally gotten into great programs and I guess that gave me a false sense of security. But that's all gone now and replaced with pessimism  :(

So basically, I'm applying for a PhD in social/cultural anthropology in the US. I graduated in May with a BSc in Sociology and Anthropology and recently finished a fruitful month long RAship with a tenured professor from SUNY, Buffalo. I've conducted a good amount of fieldwork and written several research papers for my courses (easily 6-8 research projects/papers, if not more). But I've never published or attended conferences or presented a paper anywhere. Getting ANY form of research experience is so hard in my country, because anthropology is still very new here and research isn't valued (it's all about going corporate). My CGPA is 3.43, major GPA 3.7. The fact that I have nothing published concerns me. I feel like I have more to prove as an international student.

Second. My research interests are diverse and I can't seem to pin down what I want to put down in my SOP. For sure, gender and sexuality is one and the interplay of religion and culture, but my undergraduate research has been quite diverse (globalization, fundamentalism, food). For this reason, I don't know how concrete I can make my SOP. I do definitely see myself pursuing gender and religion but because I've done a lot of different things, I think I lack the depth to tackle these topics in my SOP. I mean, people say they cite theories and authors and stuff when talking about future research. I don't know if it's that clear in my head  :unsure:

I suppose my questions are:

1. As a student with no published research nor a lot of non-coursework research experience (with little to no chance of getting it in the future), how can I still present myself well? I can possibly volunteer in an NGO but I live in a small city and NGOs here are few, meaning that they don't match with my research interest.

2. How to streamline my haphazard research interests at the moment and make it come out on the SOP as clear, convincing and well-thought out?

Thank you, for whoever survived reading the muddle that my brain feels like right now.

Edited by Shaiya

Hi Shaiya,

You're much better positioned as an applicant for graduate school in the US than you think. You say:

Getting ANY form of research experience is so hard in my country, because anthropology is still very new here and research isn't valued (it's all about going corporate).

Tell them that in your statement. Explain that you want to attend graduate school in the United States because there are no opportunities for you to grow as a scholar in your home country. That's the important thing: you have the intellectual seriousness to want to grow as a scholar, and you've done enough to exhaust the options available to you (and you understand the social reasons why that is the case).

Frankly, it doesn't matter that you don't have any publications. I didn't have any and I was accepted to 50% of the schools I applied to (a good rate), including the best program in my area of specialization. 

Professors are looking for students with intellectual maturity, a reasonable degree of focus (such as your interest in gender, sexuality, and religion), and seriousness. It has to be obvious that you're going to graduate school because you truly want to be a scholar, not because you don't really know what else to do. You don't have to know exactly what you want to do your dissertation on--you should change your mind in graduate school anyway, since it's a sign of growth. But you should be able to communicate what interests you, why, and why you feel this is important.

The single most important thing you can do to help your application is to be in touch with your prospective advisor (POI in forum-speak). Reach out to them, explain why you're interested in the program, ask questions about it. Explain that you don't have much fieldwork experience but are eager to begin, and ask what sorts of opportunities are available for students. How many faculty projects are there that you could work on? What's funding like for fieldwork? Etc.

To your specific questions:

1. Present yourself as a Pakistani interested in gender, sexuality, and religion. Say you've done research for coursework but fieldwork opportunities are limited. You've done projects on globalism, fundamentalism, and food. Explain how some of the projects you've done--even if it's online or library research--have impacted your thinking on the topics you list as your main interests. Etc.

2. Your research interests do not need to be streamlined. Mine are fairly sprawling. But what you do need to be able to do in the SOP is communicate what you're interested in, why it interests you, and why that matters. The one thing that will sink your SOP is vagueness or obfuscation. Be honest.

Finally, it's not a bad thing that you have disparate research interests, it's an asset. New ideas and innovative studies come about when somebody connects things that not a lot of people think to connect. Gender, fundamentalism, food, and religion all intersect in a thousand ways all around the globe. Maybe you could look into how those things intersect in Pakistan--perhaps, even, how they intersect to limit opportunities for researchers such as yourself.

Don't worry. You'll be fine. Your first step should be to look for scholars whose research interests align with your own in some way--somebody whose book you liked, or someone you see cited in literature you find interesting. Learn a bit about the departments where they work. If the program seems appealing, e-mail away.  

Thank you for your detailed post! It really helped clear the issues out in my head. I feel a little more prepared on how to write my SOP. And 50% acceptance is really good! I'm prepared for some rejections, but I would like to have a little bit of wiggle room when it comes to finally selecting where I'm going to spend at least the next 5 years of my life. I read some posts about people getting rejected from everywhere and panicked. I don't think I could survive that (figuratively speaking); kudos to those who do!

I love doing research and definitely want to pursue it as my career, so grad school isn't a decision I'm making lightly. I'll be sure to highlight that in my SOP. And I'll start contacting professors, as soon as I condense my 30-something school list into something smaller. Should I contact multiple professors per school or my top advisor choice from each school? (I'm planning to apply to 8-10 schools)

And a bit off topic, but do you have any pointers on how to write the Personal (Diversity?) Statement that is suited for a PhD candidate? 

Thanks again for your help!  :D

Regarding contact profs, I send emails to anyone who looks interesting.  I probably hear back from most and some are very helpful and excited about my research interests.  I've suffered a lot of screen time as a result but I am clarifying what I want to and how to articulate it.  I also don't have any publications and limited research experience when compared to some.  So my SOP better count. 

8-10 is a lot of schools. I applied to 4 and it was a lot of writing; I can't imagine writing 8 or 10 individualized essays (which your essays should be, since you're trying to tell the people who read it why you are interested in their program specifically and what you hope to gain from it). The more schools you apply to, the more your SOPs will probably slide into vagueness or you'll go absolutely crazy trying to write all the time. I would put an absolute maximum at 6 schools.

There's no harm in reaching out to multiple people at each school, although you should have some sense of who you'd like as your advisor as you'll want to try and develop that relationship as much as possible. I was in touch with two or three faculty members at almost every school I applied to, and I think it served me well. Based on how intra-departmental politics work, it's good to have more than one person in your corner when it comes admission time. 

And I'm afraid I can't help you on the "Personal (Diversity) Statement," as I don't recall having to write one. My SOPs were the only essays required at the schools I applied to so far as I recall.

8-10 is a lot of schools. I applied to 4 and it was a lot of writing; I can't imagine writing 8 or 10 individualized essays (which your essays should be, since you're trying to tell the people who read it why you are interested in their program specifically and what you hope to gain from it). The more schools you apply to, the more your SOPs will probably slide into vagueness or you'll go absolutely crazy trying to write all the time. I would put an absolute maximum at 6 schools.

And I'm afraid I can't help you on the "Personal (Diversity) Statement," as I don't recall having to write one. My SOPs were the only essays required at the schools I applied to so far as I recall.

I'm actually feeling a little overwhelmed too just thinking about the SOPs I'll have to write! When it actually comes to it, I think I might just apply to fewer programs. However, I'm simultaneously worried about not getting into my chosen schools. My regional specialization is South Asia and my undergraduate professor recommended going into a school that has at least one professor in my regional specialization. It's usually the bigger, more prestigious (hence, more competitive) schools that have them. I'm concerned about being rejected because my academic profile is not exceptional. I'll have to write an exceptional SOP to make up for it.

Do you have any sample SOP that you consider well-written? I would love to see it. I'm mainly interested in how people talk about their research interests - some people say they include anthropological theory or relate their work to works of other anthropologists in their SOPs therefore, I'm wondering if (and if so, how) I should go about that route.

Ah, well you've been quite helpful so, thanks! :) 

Regarding contact profs, I send emails to anyone who looks interesting.  I probably hear back from most and some are very helpful and excited about my research interests.  I've suffered a lot of screen time as a result but I am clarifying what I want to and how to articulate it.  I also don't have any publications and limited research experience when compared to some.  So my SOP better count. 

That's good to know, I've usually heard that they are too busy to reply to e-mails. What branch of anthropology are you pursuing?

Maybe we can help each other out with our SOPs, if you're down for that. I know I'd like to get different people to read mine before I send it. 

I'm actually feeling a little overwhelmed too just thinking about the SOPs I'll have to write! When it actually comes to it, I think I might just apply to fewer programs. However, I'm simultaneously worried about not getting into my chosen schools. My regional specialization is South Asia and my undergraduate professor recommended going into a school that has at least one professor in my regional specialization. It's usually the bigger, more prestigious (hence, more competitive) schools that have them. I'm concerned about being rejected because my academic profile is not exceptional. I'll have to write an exceptional SOP to make up for it.

Do you have any sample SOP that you consider well-written? I would love to see it. I'm mainly interested in how people talk about their research interests - some people say they include anthropological theory or relate their work to works of other anthropologists in their SOPs therefore, I'm wondering if (and if so, how) I should go about that route.

Ah, well you've been quite helpful so, thanks! :)

That's good to know, I've usually heard that they are too busy to reply to e-mails. What branch of anthropology are you pursuing?

Maybe we can help each other out with our SOPs, if you're down for that. I know I'd like to get different people to read mine before I send it. 

My academic profile is far from exceptional too.  I expect rejection.  Any acceptances will be a pleasant surprise. Last time in 2012 I got one outright rejection and wait-listed then rejected.

I just started hacking away at my SOP but I'd be up for helping each other out once I have something coherent and cohesive.  Right now its mostly fragments and fuzzy thinking. I am definitely going to try to include references to theory and anthro history in my SOP.  However, I am also VERY  interested in theory.  I'm pursuing sociocultural anthro and cultural studies. 

My academic profile is far from exceptional too.  I expect rejection.  Any acceptances will be a pleasant surprise. Last time in 2012 I got one outright rejection and wait-listed then rejected.

I just started hacking away at my SOP but I'd be up for helping each other out once I have something coherent and cohesive.  Right now its mostly fragments and fuzzy thinking. I am definitely going to try to include references to theory and anthro history in my SOP.  However, I am also VERY  interested in theory.  I'm pursuing sociocultural anthro and cultural studies. 

I have these moments of internal crisis and I think maybe I should forget a PhD and go for a master's instead. I'm having one of those moments right now. I found a sample Berkeley SOP that was very concrete with the specific research project the applicant wanted to pursue. While I know what areas I want to concentrate in, I don't have a concrete project in mind. 

I have these moments of internal crisis and I think maybe I should forget a PhD and go for a master's instead. I'm having one of those moments right now. I found a sample Berkeley SOP that was very concrete with the specific research project the applicant wanted to pursue. While I know what areas I want to concentrate in, I don't have a concrete project in mind. 

Can you post a link to the SOP?  Don't worry too much applications aren't due for months.  You have plenty of time to ruminate on a project. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hey sorry, I thought I posted a reply but apparently I didn't. Here's the link to it:

http://ls.berkeley.edu/files/statement_of_purpose.pdf

This is for a history school, though. I can see why she got in, it's very well thought out. I still haven't written anything down, I'm currently obsessing about my GRE (next month).

Hi Shaiya, sorry to be a while in getting back around to your post.

I wouldn't be too concerned about applying to "prestigious" or "competitive" schools. At the grad school level, admissions operate on a more personal, professor-by-professor basis. Many highly qualified applicants won't be accepted to the most prestigious schools simply because they fail to interest the faculty member who would be advising them; similarly, many people with little research experience or poor test scores do manage to pique their POI's interest and therefore get in.

This is something people applying to graduate school consistently fail to appreciate: it's not undergrad, and it's not anonymous. If you want to get in, you need to be in touch with your POI and you need to market yourself specifically to their program. If that program is Chicago or Harvard or whatever, then spell out in detail why that particular program is the place you want to be. Single out every faculty member whose work you find interesting if they give you the space for it. Talk about libraries and research centers and funding opportunities. They want to know that you're paying attention and not just applying for the name.

I'm afraid I don't have any sample SOPs on hand, although you might want to take a look at the ones here: http://rachelcsmith.com/academics/nsf.htm

Those are applications for the NSF Graduate Research Fellowship, which requires three separate essays. A typical SOP would be something like the personal statement and research experience essays combined and edited down. 

You sound like me...I'll be honest...I really think you should start with a masters. The one SOP I spoke to over the phone during my process said that's the best route for someone like me who is interested in many different areas of archaeology and the masters will help me narrow down my research area and prepare me to be more successful when it comes to the PhD.

I got accepted to 3 out of 4 programs that I applied to with never mentioning a specific research topic. I'm very much like you. I'm about to start grad school in two weeks not knowing what my thesis will be about...but I've been reassured that that's okay. I'll make an appointment with my adviser and get started on forumualting a project.

Many highly qualified applicants won't be accepted to the most prestigious schools simply because they fail to interest the faculty member who would be advising them; similarly, many people with little research experience or poor test scores do manage to pique their POI's interest and therefore get in.

This is me!! If ANY of you have questions regarding GRE scores and SOPs and somehow getting in, you are more than welcome to message me.

My GRE scores were low. I had less than a month to prepare for it. I was finishing up my post-bac and taking 6 anthro courses at the time that I took it. I didn't have the money to spend to re-take it. I was too busy with my last semester and finishing up all my SOPs, remaining in contact with my POIs and sending out my applications to be worried about it.

I had faith in my SOP, in my contacts and in my overall 4.0 GPA...and I got accepted to 3 out of 4 programs I applied to. I have not taken a field school yet. I have not done much more than volunteer in the archeology departments for maybe a month at two different museums. I have no research behind me. But yet, somehow I got in! I love archaeology, I love history...and I'm just going to assume that was what helped me get in...I would be happy to share my SOP with you if that interests you.

Again, I'm here if any of you has questions or concerns.

I didn't have much field experience either, at least not in archaeology. My advisor wasn't terribly bothered by that fact, he just commented during my first year that priority number one during my first summer should be to get some more fieldwork under my belt. I did, and problem solved. 

Hi Shaiya, sorry to be a while in getting back around to your post.

I wouldn't be too concerned about applying to "prestigious" or "competitive" schools. At the grad school level, admissions operate on a more personal, professor-by-professor basis. Many highly qualified applicants won't be accepted to the most prestigious schools simply because they fail to interest the faculty member who would be advising them; similarly, many people with little research experience or poor test scores do manage to pique their POI's interest and therefore get in.

This is something people applying to graduate school consistently fail to appreciate: it's not undergrad, and it's not anonymous. If you want to get in, you need to be in touch with your POI and you need to market yourself specifically to their program. If that program is Chicago or Harvard or whatever, then spell out in detail why that particular program is the place you want to be. Single out every faculty member whose work you find interesting if they give you the space for it. Talk about libraries and research centers and funding opportunities. They want to know that you're paying attention and not just applying for the name.

I'm afraid I don't have any sample SOPs on hand, although you might want to take a look at the ones here: http://rachelcsmith.com/academics/nsf.htm

Those are applications for the NSF Graduate Research Fellowship, which requires three separate essays. A typical SOP would be something like the personal statement and research experience essays combined and edited down. 

Once you've piqued someones interest how do you sustain it or how to make sure someone I emailed with over the summer remembers me the next spring?

I wouldn't worry too much about sustaining it (which might come across as hovering unless you actually have something to correspond about), or making sure they remember you. They will remember you because you're applying which usually makes you part of a smallish group. If you can visit the school at some point before decisions are made and have a while to chat with POIs and other faculty, all the better. That way they'll have a face to put with the name. 

You sound like me...I'll be honest...I really think you should start with a masters. The one SOP I spoke to over the phone during my process said that's the best route for someone like me who is interested in many different areas of archaeology and the masters will help me narrow down my research area and prepare me to be more successful when it comes to the PhD.

I got accepted to 3 out of 4 programs that I applied to with never mentioning a specific research topic. I'm very much like you. I'm about to start grad school in two weeks not knowing what my thesis will be about...but I've been reassured that that's okay. I'll make an appointment with my adviser and get started on forumualting a project.

I'm leaning towards a master's as well although I'll apply to a couple of PhD programs too. The factor I'm concerned about is the fact that there is no way I can afford a master's. The fees are double or more for international students. There's a couple of external scholarships I know about but generally, scholarships are few and hence competitive. Even if I get into a master's, without funding I can't attend grad school.

Do you mind sharing your SOP with me?

I'm leaning towards a master's as well although I'll apply to a couple of PhD programs too. The factor I'm concerned about is the fact that there is no way I can afford a master's. The fees are double or more for international students. There's a couple of external scholarships I know about but generally, scholarships are few and hence competitive. Even if I get into a master's, without funding I can't attend grad school.

Do you mind sharing your SOP with me?

I was the same, and every single program that accepted me offered funding. I wouldn't be too worried about funding because you'll get something, it's just a matter of if you're willing to help yourself in the long-run...I mean, you're applying to grad school because you want to go to grad school, you want to further your career...otherwise you would not even be considering it, right?

I sat down with my parents and went over my funding package and came down to what I would have to owe out of pocket to see if it was worth it. And it was. I'll actually owe less with my masters than I do with my post-bac.

And yes, I'll message you my SOP. 

Edited by AKCarlton

I was the same, and every single program that accepted me offered funding. I wouldn't be too worried about funding because you'll get something, it's just a matter of if you're willing to help yourself in the long-run...I mean, you're applying to grad school because you want to go to grad school, you want to further your career...otherwise you would not even be considering it, right?

I sat down with my parents and went over my funding package and came down to what I would have to owe out of pocket to see if it was worth it. And it was. I'll actually owe less with my masters than I do with my post-bac.

And yes, I'll message you my SOP. 

Funding offered by the program? Wow, I'm surprised because I was under the impression that master's usually serve as cash cows for universities. Are you aware of any programs that offer funding for sociocultural anthropology master's? 

I don't know anything regarding sociocultural because that's not my research area. And yes, 2 of the 3 I was accepted to offered full-funding packages...the third told me that they couldn't promise me anything the first year, but most 2nd year students had funding.

I immediately cut that one because I had to have funding the entire program otherwise I couldn't afford it. Then I sat there, weighing the pros and cons...the locations...whether my fiance would be willing to move with me...and what each program offered and there was no doubt that UMASS-Boston was the best choice.

I honestly don't know anything about the politics when it comes to grad school. I just kept in mind what someone told me once. When you get to grad school, you should have to pay little to nothing.