NSF GRFP 2014-2015

geographyrocks

My paystub shows the extra 2K! Please dont worry :))

Hasn't come to my institution yet, but I do show the $34k yearly stipend in Fastlane now. My CO still hasn't heard anything, so not sure when it will come through for me.

To other fellows:

Do you think it would be obnoxious to include "NSF Graduate Fellow" on business cards? I like having business cards to easily share contact info with people I meet, and thought that it might help with getting people to take me more seriously. I notice that many professors with special positions include the accompanying title in their e-mail salutations and think this might be a similar situation.

Have any of you done this or explicitly not done this?

Thanks!

I don't usually use it as a title, but have very occasionally. On business cards? Yes, I'd think it's obnoxious, and won't lead to people taking you more seriously.

I don't usually use it as a title, but have very occasionally. On business cards? Yes, I'd think it's obnoxious, and won't lead to people taking you more seriously.

Noted. I felt this way as well but felt the need for someone to validate that opinion just in case. Thank you.

That's my title on LinkedIn. I dont think its obnoxious :P

To other fellows:

Do you think it would be obnoxious to include "NSF Graduate Fellow" on business cards? I like having business cards to easily share contact info with people I meet, and thought that it might help with getting people to take me more seriously. I notice that many professors with special positions include the accompanying title in their e-mail salutations and think this might be a similar situation.

Have any of you done this or explicitly not done this?

Thanks!

I just have it on my CV and mention it on the front (about me) page of my website.  I think having a website is a great idea (especially for science) and maybe include the URL on your business card.  I ended up purchasing the domain name of my website so the URL is pretty much just myname.com

The reason I don't think it works well as a title, is that being a "fellow" carries a different connotation than being a graduate student with a fellowship. Generally, I only see people in post-doctoral positions (or sabbatical positions) actually referring to themselves as a fellow.

It's technically correct to say that you're an NSF Graduate Fellow, but I don't think it's generally going to be received well. 

The reason I don't think it works well as a title, is that being a "fellow" carries a different connotation than being a graduate student with a fellowship. Generally, I only see people in post-doctoral positions (or sabbatical positions) actually referring to themselves as a fellow.

It's technically correct to say that you're an NSF Graduate Fellow, but I don't think it's generally going to be received well. 

Interesting, because the title I use is "NSF Graduate Research Fellow", and at least 70% fellows at my school use it. This is the first time I hear an opposite opinion on this :)

• 3 weeks later...

Those of you posting that you received the 'additional' 2k..have you calculated the total received?  I also questioned the $34k listed in our status page but..all in all..I received the $2k and it still totals $32k.

11 payments of $2666.67 (July 2014-May 2015)

1 payment of $654.77 (Aug 2014..not sure what this random number is..but maybe everyone got it?)

1 payment of $2000.00 (May 2015)

Thoughts? Am I missing a payment somewhere?  

Exactly how everyone gets paid depends on their school. Sounds like you're missing one monthly payment to me.

I'm also guessing the $654 might be from a non-GRFP source.

Yep, I shouldn't of included the 654!  All the rest are definitely listed as FELLOW STIP - NSF...

And, yep, I just called the financial officer (I had been emailing him with no response.)  The July payment will be released today! (we usually receive it the week before the 1st)  That'll make $34k for the year!   :D 

Edited by jg9286

I figured it was something like that. Each school is different- my school pays biweekly, which means I don't get paid some month out of the year. I know other schools pay the stipend monthly, and some even pay it in lump sums per semester.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey all, I vaguely remember hearing somewhere that some honorable mention recipients might get the award if others are declined. Does anyone know when these are announced and how it works? I know my chances are pretty much 0 but I can dream :P

Hey all, I vaguely remember hearing somewhere that some honorable mention recipients might get the award if others are declined. Does anyone know when these are announced and how it works? I know my chances are pretty much 0 but I can dream :P

They already gave out the rest of the awards in June.

The other threads had some discussions about this. Basically, there is a shortlist of HMs that would be bumped up to awards in May-June. The higher you are in this list, the more likely you get it. I heard someone said the number is around 50 a year, but I cant verify that.

• 2 months later...
  • It is true that they are investing in the researcher for 3 years, not the research plan itself.
  • Think of this as a detailed, 2 page abstract. Make certain that your data collection/analysis methods are rigorous and sound. 
  • It does NOT have to be a 5 year plan. The NSF GRFP is open to those pursing a research-based master's degree. 
  • If you proposed a 5 year plan, be clear about what you will accomplish in during the 3 years of a fellowship tenure, and how you will subsequently complete the research as part of your dissertation research.   
  • I do not recommend a one year plan simply because it begs the question, "what is this person doing with the NSF money the rest of the time?" That said, if you intend to pursue a 2-year research-based master's, be 100% transparent about that. Make sure that the scope of your project is consistent with your plan of study and career goals.  
  • It is fine to build upon your previous research, but your proposed research plan should be both new and innovative. Don't simply extend what you are already doing - - tackle a inconsistent finding;  pursue and unknown; take the study in a new direction; use new methods or equipment for further exploration, etc.
  • Draw from the literature and/or previous work for the rationale/basis of your proposal and methods. Don't make assertions!  State a compelling argument on the need for your study - that will help demonstrate your analytical skills and boost reviewers' assessment of your IM potential.
  • You must have a clear and feasible plan for sharing results among scholars (IM) and with the public (BI).