Do I Need to Explain Why a Second Master in SOP ?

Hi guys, so I'm going to apply for a second master (same major though, different research focus). But that may look weird in the adcom, since I have already got a master degree. So I wonder should I use a few words in SOP to explain my reason for the second master ? Or I can just skip it.

Thank you very much !

People don't normally get a second masters just to do different research. If you are interested in gaining reserach expeirence in a different area then it would be much more efficient to work as a reserach tech in that area.

I would say that yes, you definitely need to explain and it should probably be a pretty good reason since you could alternatively just get reserach experience while getting paid instead of paying to get it.

People don't normally get a second masters just to do different research. If you are interested in gaining reserach expeirence in a different area then it would be much more efficient to work as a reserach tech in that area.

I would say that yes, you definitely need to explain and it should probably be a pretty good reason since you could alternatively just get reserach experience while getting paid instead of paying to get it.

Thank you bsharpe269.

Sure I understand, but in my case, there is also a wish that I can study for a year or two abroad. Getting into a PhD program may sound more reasonable but I just don't want to invest that much time at a time. So another master is my choice. And maybe I will try to transfer to PhD track after getting used to the new environment.