Should I email PI again?

amethyst23

A little more than month ago I emailed a PI asking whether she would be taking graduate students in Fall 2015 because I was planning to apply to her university and her work interests me, but she never responded..

I know a lack of response is common to these types of emails, but should I shoot her a follow-up email? I'm hesitant because her lab is my top choice at that institution and I don't want to get on her bad side..

Any advice?

Yes, and if you can, and I would perhaps recommend contacting a current grad student/post doc/technician in the lab on the side to see if they have any information, too.  Some PIs are awful at responding, or she could have an emergency, or whatever -- a month is more than enough time to wait.

Based on what my PI has told me, I would actually say no. I think this really varies by PI but my current PI even gets annoyed by 1 email from students like this and I think that 2 emails might put a student in the "too needy for my lab" category for his lab.

Do you have a serious question about the application process that you can't get form the website or department coordinator or do you just wnat to know if they might take students? Honestly, whether or not professors would be willing to take students can change a lot in a year so even if they say yes, they might not get an expected grant or they might like another student in the incoming class more so there are no guarantees. My PI told me to not consider any schools with less than 3 or 4 people who I would be interested in working with. I agree this is a very important rule to follow or else you may end up in a situation where you have to transfer because the PI you want cant take you. If you are sticking to that rule, then your decision to apply to that program would not be swayed significantly by this particular lab anyway. If your applicaiton to this school hinges on availability in that particular lab then I would rethink applying anyway!

I agree with BeakerBreaker and say it is worth a follow up. I actually ended up following up with two POIs for the same reason and both apologized and thanked me for re-sending since my email got swamped. Worst comes to worst and they don't respond again, at least you know you tried to get in touch.

Edited by Gvh

Does it say anything about contacting PIs on the website? If the school requires it then email her again. If the website doesn't say anything, you could call the department admin and ask if it is customary to email PIs. Every once in a while, professors get no say in the graduate process. Weird, but apparently it happens.

Edited by geographyrocks

Does it say anything about contacting PIs on the website? If the school requires it then email her again. If the website doesn't say anything, you could call the department admin and ask if it is customary to email PIs. Every once in a while, professors get no say in the graduate process. Weird, but apparently it happens.

Regardless of the PI's hand in the admissions process, my primary intent in emailing POIs was to establish fit. Perhaps this might not apply to the OP since it seems like they might be doing rotations, but regardless, I think it is useful for SoP development knowing your ideas jive with the lab you're hoping to join.

I'm in a similar situation. I'm going into grad school in the fall and I have 4 professors I've emailed about setting up a rotation. 3 responded and 1 hasn't and it's been almost a week. I'm planning on sending one more email, but how should I bring up the fact that I've already sent him an email? Like should I say, "Hi Dr. xxx, I sent you an email already, but I'm sure it got lost." Or what do I say?

I'm in a similar situation. I'm going into grad school in the fall and I have 4 professors I've emailed about setting up a rotation. 3 responded and 1 hasn't and it's been almost a week. I'm planning on sending one more email, but how should I bring up the fact that I've already sent him an email? Like should I say, "Hi Dr. xxx, I sent you an email already, but I'm sure it got lost." Or what do I say?

In situations like these, I like to reply to the previous email so it shows up underneath and write something like "Hi Dr blah, I wanted to follow up on my email from last week. Please let me know if you have any questions about my experience..."

Edited by bsharpe269