Political Science GRE Subject Test is NEEDED!

YoungR3b3l

Folks

I dont grasp why ETS is bothering us with this general test. Since GRE is a grad studies test, and grad studies are emphasized on a specific major, i think it is way better & practical to make a subject political science test. Why do we have to grasp reading comprehension essays on "Technology & evolution of car emissions impact on the environment" or "Types of extincting plants & what scientists are doing about it"

As a political science student I would truly prefer something used in my field. For instance, Analytical writing questions on analyzing a specific political regimes statistical data in their stability/instability with a time frame, or questions on how to create a coherent hypothesis on a specific topic on IR or comparative politics with giving examples.

With the previous samples, it would really indicate how ready & well prepared a political science prospective student is.

Also the verbal part uses mostly a wide range of terms used in the political science literature.

And the Quant. part gets rid of that sort of mathematical questions that even Kenneth Waltz ( political scientists: Neo-realism theory creator) would have never do and think about it. And just stick to the quant, methods which are used commonly in the political science field.

I wish that type of GRE ever existed, it'd be an accurate, or atleast a more accurate indicator of how truly an applicant is well prepared and ready for his 'specified' major that he wants to pursue his grad studies in!

Thoughts folks?

Edited by YoungR3b3l

There used to be a Pol Sci GRE subject test, but it was discontinued in 1998, I assume due to the lack of benefit relative to other measures (transcripts, letters, writing sample). 

There used to be a Pol Sci GRE subject test, but it was discontinued in 1998, I assume due to the lack of benefit relative to other measures (transcripts, letters, writing sample).

True I heard about that. I assume it stopped because ETS was getting less $$$ from it, since ETS is selfish and wants to grant only on making a guaranteed successful money, which comes by the general test.

Folks

I dont grasp why ETS is bothering us with this general test. Since GRE is a grad studies test, and grad studies are emphasized on a specific major, i think it is way better & practical to make a subject political science test. Why do we have to grasp reading comprehension essays on "Technology & evolution of car emissions impact on the environment" or "Types of extincting plants & what scientists are doing about it"

As a political science student I would truly prefer something used in my field. For instance, Analytical writing questions on analyzing a specific political regimes statistical data in their stability/instability with a time frame, or questions on how to create a coherent hypothesis on a specific topic on IR or comparative politics with giving examples.

With the previous samples, it would really indicate how ready & well prepared a political science prospective student is.

Also the verbal part uses mostly a wide range of terms used in the political science literature.

And the Quant. part gets rid of that sort of mathematical questions that even Kenneth Waltz ( political scientists: Neo-realism theory creator) would have never do and think about it. And just stick to the quant, methods which are used commonly in the political science field.

I wish that type of GRE ever existed, it'd be an accurate, or atleast a more accurate indicator of how truly an applicant is well prepared and ready for his 'specified' major that he wants to pursue his grad studies in!

Thoughts folks?

The idea behind the GRE is to test analytical skills that are transferable across disciplines. The old PoliSci subject test seems to have been a 120 question multiple choice exam and to be honest to me that doesn't really improve on anything when it comes to your ability to conduct research. It's

There is a reason that most programs will ask you to submit a writing statement an that's because it can tell the admissions committee far more than a standardised test, polsci specific or not.

Kenneth Waltz was an incredibly influential scholar within IR, but of a different time. The majority of influential work in (US) Political Science these days involves quantitative methods.. you simply can't get by without being trained in quantitative methods these days, even if you simply want to understand quantitative research. If you're applying to less quantitatively focused schools or for Political Theory then they will probably accept lower Q scores.

I know it's frustrating when you don't do as well in the GRE as you want to, but you just need to focus. Analyse where you did poorly and get back down to studying for it. It's all we can do!

True I heard about that. I assume it stopped because ETS was getting less $$$ from it, since ETS is selfish and wants to grant only on making a guaranteed successful money, which comes by the general test.

A subject test never replaces the general GRE as they measure two different things. A subject test is just that, it measures your aptitude in that particular subject. Very few programs require it because the majority of prospective students have already proven they understand the subject based on undergrad GPA, their SOP, and their LORs. Generally it's only advised to take a subject test if you are switching fields or if your profile is deficient in some manner. Have you not already demonstrated you have a solid grasp on political science?

The GRE is not supposed to measure your aptitude in your discipline and it never was meant to do that. It is meant to measure your ability to be a scholar by testing traits like reading comprehension, argument analysis, breadth of vocabulary/grasp on language for the verbal portion and for the quantitative portion it tests your ability to comprehend mathematical functions and problems and if you understand the underlying logic behind numbers. The quantitative section doesn't even go past math concepts taught in high school.

You've claimed elsewhere that you understand that different programs weigh different sections of the GRE differently, but it doesn't sound like you do. If polisci really is light on quantitative methods then your Q score doesn't matter and there is no reason to worry about it. I'm in a field where my analytical writing score means nothing, so I didn't care if I scored poorly for it and I didn't even bother to prepare for that section at all.