When both SoP and Personal History are required, does department read personal history as well?

Some schools actually require you to write both, and ask you not to duplicate them. So I understand this means that SoP would be for academic purpose and statement of personal history is for your personal background.

In this case, I usually find that departments actually require statement of purpose (at least their websites only list SoP as required but never mention statement of personal history) but it's the university that requires both. The university states that they are committed to diversity and that's why they are asking for a statement of personal history.

So my question is, does department care about the personal history at all? If the statement of personal history is solely for increasing diversity, I would like to focus more on my personal uniqueness (even though I would have to think hard to come up with some). If the department is also interested, then I think relating my background to the reason why I would like to study whatever I want to study is a better idea. 

Does anyone have thoughts in this? Is anyone applying/have applied to schools that require separate essays for each?

I'm applying to PhDs in History so take this with a grain of salt.

Schools do care about your personal history. Not all of them will ask for a separate personal statement, but from the bajillion posts I have read, in addition to advice given to me by potential advisors, your unique personal history is significant. How does this play out? Well, it all depends on the program and you. All programs will weigh factors differently, and ultimately your SOP won't be effective if its terribly written and not thought out (not saying this is what you'll do!)

The difference between programs that ask for a statement of purpose ONLY and those that ask for both an academic and personal statement is the amount of space you dedicate to the personal. For programs that only require an academic/statement of purpose you should probably not use more than a paragraph for personal stuff. For these programs, the bulk of space should be dedicated to your research, fit, etc.

I am applying to several schools that offer applicants an optional diversity essay, and one that requires an academic and personal statement. Everything in both essays should, somehow, relate to why you are pursuing a graduate degree at the institution. So, for example, I talk about growing up in an immigrant household which helped me learn a language pertinent to my research and exposed me early on to transnational history...so the personal becomes an augmentation of the academic in a way. Personal statements are also a great place to talk about peccadilloes in a really positive way. Basically, I looked at the personal statement as a chance to argue my case for admission even more, to show the adcomm that I have thought deeply about both my research and their program.

Long story short, the personal is important. It will give the adcomm an idea of who you are, explain any questionable things in your record and allow you to show that you will add a unique perspective to their program.