How to explain low GPA in SOP?

Hi..I have a little doubt. I applied last year for MS in Civil Engineering but I was disappointed with the rejects I got. Mostly I couldve got rejected due to my low GPA. I started out with a decent 3.59 (65.69%) GPA in my first year. However, I lost my way in the second and third year and scored 2.81 (51.4%) and 3.15(57.6%) only. However, I got serious in my last year and scored 3.94 (72%). I applied last year with my transcripts showing the GPA for first three years as I was yet to finish my last year. This year my transcripts would show all years' GPA. So my question is this, How much of a difference would my last year GPA make considering I scored so good. And I want to make the Universities realise that I've become serious about my grades and future and would be working hard in my MS. So should I say anything about the low gpa in my middle years in my SOP? Thanks.

From my understanding, an applicant's academic record is not just about their numerical GPA, but also about the composition of that GPA  (difficulty of coursework, relevant trends in grades, etc). While of course an academic committee would prefer immaculate grades every semester, the next best thing is for the applicant to show a major upswing in motivation and grades before graduation, giving the admissions committee some inkling as to the student's true ability to perform at the highest levels. I am not privy to your complete application profile, but if the elision of final year grades did hurt your chances in your initial run at applying, then their inclusion may just be the difference that makes the difference this time around. I would not take up too much space on the subject in your SOP, but a line or two describing your renewed commitment to academics would be bolstered by the hard evidence of a stellar final year.

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone have experience with low GPAs that got higher with subsequent education? I had an ok GPA for undergrad, but probably too low (think it was 2.7ish?) but I've taken a couple of professional certificates from colleges where my culmulative GPA was better  (3.75+), and they were programs in my current field, design.  I've taken the certificates after undergrad, and they're more geared to what I'm applying to grad school for - my undergrad was more general liberal arts and not actual design.  If anyone has any ideas, let me know.

• 2 weeks later...