Academia.edu

Imaginary

Well, that depends. I imagine that the average user of Academia.edu is utilizing the website to pursue academic positions, and therefore, would generally be required to have a PhD. At which point, the M.A. thesis would be somewhat obsolete. (I should have stated that I meant an M.A. thesis.) I am also already matriculated to a PhD program, so I don't need to list my M.A. thesis there for grad school applications.

I imagine that the average user of Academia.edu is utilizing the website to pursue academic positions, and therefore, would generally be required to have a PhD. 

What? No. 

I would put it up, particularly if you have no plan of turning it into articles.

I imagine that the average user of Academia.edu is utilizing the website to pursue academic positions, and therefore, would generally be required to have a PhD. At which point, the M.A. thesis would be somewhat obsolete.

As far as I know academia.edu is not used as a job search website. At least, not in my field. It's used as a sort of academic profile where you can upload your work. If you'd put your thesis on your personal academic website, it could also be posted on academia.edu. You post your work online in order to make it accessible to the scientific community--not *just* to get a job. Whether or not your MA thesis is something anybody might be interested then depends on what it is about and its quality. Either way, if you're proud of it and want to make it accessible to other researchers in your field, academia.edu is a much better venue than linkedin. 

• 4 weeks later...

The other cool thing is that if somebody googles your name and finds your Academia profile, Academia will let you know when the person googled you, what the google inquiry was, and where it came from.  

I love this feature! If you've been applying to any jobs in your field lately, or any at all - you get to see who Googles you. It's always a warm feeling.

Related to academia.edu in general - how much does everyone here use it? Is it worth creating documents with the almost-sole-purpose of beefing it up (in addition to just practice)? I've been working on syllabi, assignment sheets and reading guides for dream courses I'll likely never get to teach, but they would look nice on there and could be helpful to others.