Applying to a school without GRE requirement

Wafflez

Hey All,

Is it really necessary to do a GRE test even if a school does not require a GRE requirement (i'm from Canada)?

For example, Purdue University does not require a GRE, but is it worth taking the GRE anyways?

I already have a lot of undergrad research experiences (3+ summers of research), a decent GPA (4.0 in chemistry), and experiences in several conferences, and I am very likely to get accepted to a decent grad program in Canada.

Is this enough for a grad program in a school such as Purdue?

Many Thanks!

Looking at their website "GRE scores are not required for admission. However, some internal fellowships require these scores.  You may include unofficial reports in your packet or have official scores sent directly to us." I'd say that there's no need for a GRE for admission. I don't know the GPA scale in Canada, so I don't know what a 4.0 is, but over here it's a perfect score. But, assuming it means you got mostly As and Bs (preferably more As than Bs), you're fine.

But, you may want to take the GRE anyway depending on what you're looking at for funding.

Purdue is about the only school that doesn't, always wondered why? I am applying there and still took it. I also imagine everyone else applying there will have also taken it, just due to the fact they are applying elsewhere. If I were you, I would invest a week of intense studying and take it, it will only help. You would hate to not get in there just because you didn't take a standardized test that others did. Purdue seems to take a different approach to acceptance, from what I've seen anyway. They seem to value LORs, particularly from people who attended their school, and valuable research experience.