Query about PHD admissions in Statistics ( The score dilemma)

Kiran

I wish to apply for PHD in Statistics in Fall 15. I have a 322 in GRE ( 166 Q, 156 V) and 116 in TOEFL. What are my chances to get through?

Since I have an interest in Financial Statistics, what universities should I apply to.

I have found the following Statistics programs to have slightly more "financial" (or Econometric) options available:

UC Santa Barbara (as stated above)

Columbia

Rutgers

Boston

Cornell

Purdue

Iowa

Missouri

There are probably more but these are a good start.

I think your GRE scores look alright but I know they look at a lot more than just that.

I hope that helps!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the advice about the universities.

I have an undergraduate GPA of 8.74/10 and a Gold Medal for University topper in statistics with Economics and Mathematics as the subsidiary subjects.

Plus I have a Bachelor's Thesis and a research paper.

I do not have any kind of work experience.

Does all this contribute?

Thanks for the advice about the universities.

I have an undergraduate GPA of 8.74/10 and a Gold Medal for University topper in statistics with Economics and Mathematics as the subsidiary subjects.

Plus I have a Bachelor's Thesis and a research paper.

I do not have any kind of work experience.

Does all this contribute?

I am sure all of this helps, but for you, it may also depend on the reputation of your institution. It seems like American PhD programs particularly like to draw students from ISI (and even then, Masters students from ISI have a greater advantage than just those with a BS). I am not sure what other schools have an international reputation in statistics in India. One way to help get your foot in the door for American PhD programs is to do a Masters degree in mathematics and/or statistics in the U.S. They are less competitive to get into, so I would apply to a few Masters programs too if I were you.