Applying for Fall 2015

CP3

This was from Yale University webpage. It was awhile ago that I had saved to my computer. Doesn't say musicology specifically. Yale PhD in music includes Ethno, Theory and Musicology.... am I correct? Comp at Yale is DMA through School of Music. 

375616_10150383869446969_328764653_n.jpg

Yes, you are correct.

Great to see so much activity on here since I started the thread back in August.

Currently I have one interview/test in a couple of weeks, one rejection and one "waitlist."

The reason I put waitlist in quotations is because the told me in the email that "I was not invited for an interview, but they will keep my application open and re-evaluate it later on and give me a final decision late March.

Has anyone had a similar email/response? 

I got one rejection this week--not a surprise--and four interviews. 

The rejection isn't the best way to start the rejections/acceptances(hopefully) emails, but at least it's not getting my hopes up with anywhere.

I got one rejection this week--not a surprise--and four interviews. 

The rejection isn't the best way to start the rejections/acceptances(hopefully) emails, but at least it's not getting my hopes up with anywhere.

Totally normal to start with a rejection, I started with an interview then a rejection from a different school a few days later.

Congrats on all of those interviews plasticities! Wow!

Congratulations to all the UChicago candidates!!

:D

Haha, to the few people above. I have only had one rejection and no interviews. :(  

Don't worry too much about the lack of interviews. A lot of music theory schools don't do interviews (or, like Yale, sometimes interview and sometimes don't).

Don't worry too much about the lack of interviews. A lot of music theory schools don't do interviews (or, like Yale, sometimes interview and sometimes don't).

Oh, thanks a lot. Yeah, I didn't apply to Yale or Eastman or UChicago or Northwestern... I applied to 2 schools for Masters and I am guess they won't be having interviews.

I received three theory interviews so far (two already took place, one is coming up).

Best of luck! I'm looking forward to hearing how everyone here does once the results start rolling in.

Oh, thanks a lot. Yeah, I didn't apply to Yale or Eastman or UChicago or Northwestern... I applied to 2 schools for Masters and I am guess they won't be having interviews.

which schools did you apply for masters?

Hey-- yeah in my book those 4 interviews totally outweigh the 1 rejection! Congrats!

Where are you interviewing?

Eastman, Indiana, Stanford, and University of Michigan. Waiting on results from all four--three were Skype--but I am not the one who got the acceptance to Stanford, unfortunately. Congrats to that person though!

Eastman, Indiana, Stanford, and University of Michigan. Waiting on results from all four--three were Skype--but I am not the one who got the acceptance to Stanford, unfortunately. Congrats to that person though!

Interesting -- Stanford never used to do interviews... Good luck!! :-) 

They did them last year, FWIW. I remember doing mine with a 10 hour time difference, jet lag and a very dodgy hotel wifi connection.

Thanks, though I'm assuming no news is bad news. Everyone I asked about the interview was kind of surprised, too. I don't how many "finalists" they pick for interviews. Does anyone have any idea?

Thanks, though I'm assuming no news is bad news. Everyone I asked about the interview was kind of surprised, too. I don't how many "finalists" they pick for interviews. Does anyone have any idea?

It's usually about 6-8 finalists, but I don't know the exact stats for Stanford. But, hope that gives you an accurate approximation or an idea.  -_-

Columbia interviews?! Do you mean they interview to Ethnomusicology only or to all programs music related?

My friend is there for Theory now and he said they interviewed him last year. I cannot say for Musicology.

In my day (2012 Fall), Columbia accepted some musicology/theory folks without interviews and rejected at least one person who was invited to interview. That person was me. I'm not bitter. Nope.

I wonder if the same holds these days.

Nice to read a thread specifically about music apps (and the seemingly endless waiting game!) I'm a musicology major from New Zealand :) So far, I've heard back from one of the schools I've applied to - with an acceptance and a fellowship. Haven't heard anything from my other four schools though! I'm hoping I'll hear something before I fly out in March to visit the campus that has offered me a place, so that I'll be able to look around more than one university - given I'm traveling over 24 hours to get there in the first place :)

Nice to read a thread specifically about music apps (and the seemingly endless waiting game!) I'm a musicology major from New Zealand :) So far, I've heard back from one of the schools I've applied to - with an acceptance and a fellowship. Haven't heard anything from my other four schools though! I'm hoping I'll hear something before I fly out in March to visit the campus that has offered me a place, so that I'll be able to look around more than one university - given I'm traveling over 24 hours to get there in the first place :)

That is wonderful. Congratulations! Which one would that be? 

I am so happy for you!!!