Quick question: Disclosing information to schools

Rinslet

I did a quick board search and wasn't able to find my answer so here I am! I'm sure my question is rather common so I apologize in advance if this thread irks anyone ;D

One of my applications asks to list other schools I'll be applying to. I'll be applying to two other schools and I didn't really think it was a big deal. However, I was told by a classmate that I should leave that section blank.

I should disclose the other schools I'll be applying to right? I mean it's rare for a person to put all their eggs into one basket so I don't see why it would hinder my chances of success by mentioning the other schools. 

I disclosed the other schools. I don't think it really matters as every program should damn well know that you're looking at other universities.

I think it just helps them know what to expect if they extend an admission offer or waitlist you. If you only applied to this one school, then you would almost certainly accept an offer of admission either way, but if you're applying to other schools (some of which might be "better" in some sense or another) and you're a very competitive applicant, they might expect you to decline an offer and plan accordingly.

Anecdote: Since my PI is on the adcomm of my grad program and likes to chat, I happen to know that the program could comfortably fund 4 students for the newest cohort, but they offered admission to 5 people because one of the the students they wanted was more likely to accept admission to another program. They were right, this student did decline, and 4 of us will attend. 

Anecdote: Since my PI is on the adcomm of my grad program and likes to chat, I happen to know that the program could comfortably fund 4 students for the newest cohort, but they offered admission to 5 people because one of the the students they wanted was more likely to accept admission to another program. They were right, this student did decline, and 4 of us will attend. 

This seems more common than not.  Of the programs I have looked at that post admissions statistics it seems that roughly 50% of the admitted students at most accept an offer. 

I did a quick board search and wasn't able to find my answer so here I am! I'm sure my question is rather common so I apologize in advance if this thread irks anyone ;D

One of my applications asks to list other schools I'll be applying to. I'll be applying to two other schools and I didn't really think it was a big deal. However, I was told by a classmate that I should leave that section blank.

I should disclose the other schools I'll be applying to right? I mean it's rare for a person to put all their eggs into one basket so I don't see why it would hinder my chances of success by mentioning the other schools. 

This comes up often every year. This question is used to by schools to gauge their competition. It also gives them some idea of where you think the other good matches for your research interests are, which will give them an idea of how well you understand your field. It's of course possible not to answer the question at all, but I don't think there is any reason to be suspicious of it. You would have to work very hard or write something very outrageous for the information you provide here to be used against you.

This is common. My program routinely gives out 12 offers with the hopes of ending up with a cohort of 8. Some (most) years, this works out perfectly, but recently we had e.g. one cohort of 6 but also one of 10 and one of 11.

This is common. My program routinely gives out 12 offers with the hopes of ending up with a cohort of 8. Some (most) years, this works out perfectly, but recently we had e.g. one cohort of 6 but also one of 10 and one of 11.

Fair enough, I'm aware that it's very common in most programs, but less so for us, I think. A cohort of 4 is the largest the program has ever had, so they have typically sent out as many offers as the number of students they can take (2-3). Anyway, I was just sharing how I was directly told this information was used. It might have been especially important during my application cycle because half of the applicants they brought in to interview had only applied to this program and nowhere else. 

• 3 weeks later...

I have the same question. But, there is no way to surely tell if this will work in our favor all the time. 

For example,

1) if I am applying to a low ranked "safe" school and I mention to them that I have applied to UCB and Stanford, and they conclude (incorrectly) that my profile is acceptable in those schools, the safe school won't offer me an admit and UCB and Stanford don't consider me up to their standards. I get rejected by all.

2) Let's consider reverse - I am applying to UCB/Stanford and I mention a very low ranked school as answer to this "survey" question - as they like to call it. Guys at UCB will think that I am not confident of my profile being up to UCB standards and that I will surely be accepted by that safe school. Again, I get rejected by all.

I don't know that it will really hurt you to list schools with a wide range of rankings.  While top-tier universities automatically consider themselves best they have no idea if a student is applying other places to be near a significant other, extended family, etc.  As long as you have clearly outlined why you're looking at a particular institution I would answer the question and move on.  From what I understand, that question is more used to evaluate the likelihood of applicants accepting an offer and impacts the number of offers extended in the first round versus used to eliminate someone because of where else they have applied (although University of Phoenix might raise a few eyebrows).

I only applied to one school because I decided that it was the best program for me and I was unwilling to go anywhere else.  At the time I worried that not answering the question would hurt because it would (accurately) look like I put all my eggs in one basket.  It had no impact on my acceptance.

Edited by lyrehc

I have the same question. But, there is no way to surely tell if this will work in our favor all the time. 

For example,

1) if I am applying to a low ranked "safe" school and I mention to them that I have applied to UCB and Stanford, and they conclude (incorrectly) that my profile is acceptable in those schools, the safe school won't offer me an admit and UCB and Stanford don't consider me up to their standards. I get rejected by all.

2) Let's consider reverse - I am applying to UCB/Stanford and I mention a very low ranked school as answer to this "survey" question - as they like to call it. Guys at UCB will think that I am not confident of my profile being up to UCB standards and that I will surely be accepted by that safe school. Again, I get rejected by all.

If the program is doing that they're practically reading tea leaves. There are so many other reasons for a Stanford to reject a candidate other than that they applied to Lowrank University.

For example,

For what it is worth, the program/department/school knowing where else you have applied to is great information for them to know.  The information collected can tell them if the school/program is a reach to most applicants or is it a safety (assuming there is such a thing), for example.  It might also be conferred if students are applying "just because", applying to multiple schools in hopes of being accepted into at least one, or, applying to this particular program because the program/department/school is a fit.  In general: how well is the school/program attracting the type of students it wants to attract?  

All schools/programs use algorithms to determine N number of offers that need to be extended in order to fulfill S number of spots.  These formulas are based on historical data.  As an example let us say that Program P has five available slots.  Based on history, the program knows it needs to extend offers to N number of applicants in order to get A number of acceptances.  In short:  the program needs to extend 10 offers because they know that historically 50% of the offers are rejected. So to answer questions #1 and 2; the program would admit you if you were a top applicant because you have a 50/50 chance of saying yes (or what-ever the split may be).  Many applicants (perhaps most?) apply to programs based on fit.  More often than not fit is not based on how you look "on paper". So your scenario would not apply.  

Edited by Crucial BBQ

Not necessarily.  Top schools admit who they want to admit.  I don't think yield plays a big role in rankings of graduate programs since it's essentially meaningless, so I don't think it's very likely this will happen if you have an otherwise good fit with the school.  (It may be a small issue at schools with limited funding; they may be more likely to offer admission + funding to applicants they believe will attend.  But I think "believe will attend" is based on a lot more than "this person applied to Stanford, gasp!"

I think this one is even less likely than the first scenario.  Any professor at a top school would realize that it is wise for students to apply to a range of schools, since admission rates at their programs tend to be low.  If you weren't confident that you at least had a shot at UCB, you wouldn't have applied (theoretically).

Graduate programs don't make their decisions based on what they think their colleagues at other schools might do.  They make their decisions based upon their own needs and desires.

For example,

That's a bit extreme and paranoid I'm afraid. Grad school admission is already a hard game; if programs start factoring in the ranks of other schools we're applying too, very few people would ever get admitted I think :D I think preparing a stellar application would be best to alleviate your worries!

• 2 weeks later...