2015 Canadian SLP Thread!

Thank you so much guys! I am glad I am not the only one having a heart attack. After reading that email ORPAS sent you, I think we should be okay!

Don't freak out about ORPAS!! I also have an outstanding reference letter so I emailed both Toronto and Western about it.

Toronto said:
"Thank you for your email.Ā  Not to worry.Ā  Itā€™s fine if your reference arrives a few days later."

Ā 

Western said:
"Do you know for a fact that the other reference was mailed, did you check with your referee? If so, wait a few days and check, ORPAS might be still keying information in after the deadline."

Ā 

So even though we don't know for certain about Western, I'm assuming it's not a big deal as long as the document is post-dated (i.e. shows the date that they mailed it).

Ā 

One of my referees does multiple references each year for people and he knows a lot about the application process. He said that they won't penalize you for receiving late documents from your referees. I'm pretty sure it's true.

Don't worry!!
Ā 

Also if anyone is wondering about Dalhousie not updating their checklists, this is what they told me:

Thank you for your email.Ā  I would like you to know that due to the volume of admission documents we are receiving and processing, we are unable to respond to individual inquiries regarding the status of received documents. As you know, you can check the status of your received documents by logging into the system. Please note, however, that it can take up to 5 weeksĀ  after the admission deadline for the online checklist to show the status of received documents. In addition to being able to check online, we also send out acknowledgment emails to all applicants to let you know if we have received all required documents (again, this can take up to 5 weeks to occur). Please expect an acknowledgment email after the deadline to confirm receipt of your application and keep checking the status of your application online, to see if your information has been updated. If, at that point there are still documents missing from your application, we will give you a chance to re-submit them to us.

Hi everyone,

Ā 

I am basically having a breakdown!

Ā 

I went to check my ORPAS and it says that one of my references is currently outstanding! I honestly hounded the professor so many times and she promised me she was going to send it in so that it would arrive on January 9th... I dont know what I am going to do! Will they disqualify me from the application? I honestly worked so hard for this application, over one year, I AM FREAKING OUT!! This is my worst nightmare.

Ā 

One of my references was sick last week and didn't write my letter until like yesterday. I only spoke to U of T about it, but they said it was ok as long as it came in by the end of the month! So don't worry about that school, at least.Ā 

One of my references was sick last week and didn't write my letter until like yesterday. I only spoke to U of T about it, but they said it was ok as long as it came in by the end of the month! So don't worry about that school, at least.Ā 

Ā 

That's unfortunate! I am glad that at least the schools seem understanding of events that are out of our control! Lucky for me U of T is my first choice so I am happy to hear that news! :)

Western has confirmed that its okay to have a late reference and/or transcript:
"as long as it was postdated it will be fine. There is a bit of extra time that we allow for transcripts so if a reference is a bit late that is fine."
Ā 

Hey students who have applied to U of A, I have questions regarding my application. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I have a degree in Modern Languages through the University of Saskatchewan. My GPA was not very competitive for this graduateĀ program (3.3 ish). I then made the move to the States to complete a bachelor's degree in Communication Disorders. Since coming down, I've maintained a 4.0 average and will have 40 hours of clinical experience upon graduation. I completed most of my prerequisite courses here as well. I'm stressed about my cumulative GPA, which is currently a 3.527. My last 60 credit unit GPA, however, isĀ a 4.0 and my prerequisite GPA is also competitive. IĀ will have two undergraduate degrees and have a lotĀ of exposure to the field ofĀ SLP since making the move to the states.Ā If anyone has any input, I would love to hear it!Ā 

Hey students who have applied to U of A, I have questions regarding my application. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I have a degree in Modern Languages through the University of Saskatchewan. My GPA was not very competitive for this graduateĀ program (3.3 ish). I then made the move to the States to complete a bachelor's degree in Communication Disorders. Since coming down, I've maintained a 4.0 average and will have 40 hours of clinical experience upon graduation. I completed most of my prerequisite courses here as well. I'm stressed about my cumulative GPA, which is currently a 3.527. My last 60 credit unit GPA, however, isĀ a 4.0 and my prerequisite GPA is also competitive. IĀ will have two undergraduate degrees and have a lotĀ of exposure to the field ofĀ SLP since making the move to the states.Ā If anyone has any input, I would love to hear it!Ā 

Ā 

Hi jillybean, I am in a similar situation as you: my GPA from my first bachelor's degree was not very competitive, but my 2nd bachelor's degree is. U of A only looks at your last 60 credits + prereq courses, and NOT the cumulative GPA, so I'd say don't stress out too much about itĀ  :) a 4.0 is MORE than competitive!

I have a degree in Modern Languages through the University of Saskatchewan. My GPA was not very competitive for this graduate program (3.3 ish). I then made the move to the States to complete a bachelor's degree in Communication Disorders. Since coming down, I've maintained a 4.0 average and will have 40 hours of clinical experience upon graduation. I completed most of my prerequisite courses here as well. I'm stressed about my cumulative GPA, which is currently a 3.527. My last 60 credit unit GPA, however, is a 4.0 and my prerequisite GPA is also competitive. I will have two undergraduate degrees and have a lot of exposure to the field of SLP since making the move to the states. If anyone has any input, I would love to hear it!

I would try to research the way these universities convert specific GPAs from different American schools. For example, in some American schools over 80% = 4.0, but in others it is only over 90%-95% (like in Canada). Edited by speechful11

Mine says the same thing! The transcripts and references both say "initiated". Not sure what requires action. I'm assuming it just hasn't fully updated yet.

Thanks! I'm glad to know it's not just me.

Ā 

For everyone who is having issues with outstanding references on ORPAS, I'm having the same issue! I feel a bit better knowing they're lenient, but I'm definitely a little worried too :(.

Thanks! I'm glad to know it's not just me.

Ā 

For everyone who is having issues with outstanding references on ORPAS, I'm having the same issue! I feel a bit better knowing they're lenient, but I'm definitely a little worried too :(.

I contacted ORPAS and they told me this:

As stated onĀ  our website, we are currently processing a high volume of mail. It is possible that your references are here and simply waiting to be processed.

Please continue to monitor your account for updates.

ORPAS will process all references regardless of when they arrive at the OUAC, it is simply up to the rehabilitation schools to decide how to deal with references received after January 9th.

For anyone applying to McGill... once you complete the checklist (i.e., upload transcripts, answer the questions, etc.) is there something to do to completely submit your application? I don't see any button to press that gives me a sense of completion haha. I guess once you've completed everything that's it? Just wanted to make sure.

Thanks!

For anyone applying to McGill... once you complete the checklist (i.e., upload transcripts, answer the questions, etc.) is there something to do to completely submit your application? I don't see any button to press that gives me a sense of completion haha. I guess once you've completed everything that's it? Just wanted to make sure.

Thanks!

I also applied to McGill, and I think once you complete the checklist that's it! There should be a box in the left side stating your "Application Status".Ā 

Hi all,

Does anyone know if McGill converts grades like ORPAS does? I noticed that their grading scale only allows for A-(3.7) or A(4.0) and no in between (3.8). Does that mean that all my "A's" would be a 4.0 as well as my "A+'s"? (I wish.. lol) or do my A's become 3.7's?

Edited by speechful11

Hi all,

Does anyone know if McGill converts grades like ORPAS does? I noticed that their grading scale only allows for A-(3.7) or A(4.0) and no in between (3.8). Does that mean that all my "A's" would be a 4.0 as well as my "A+'s"? (I wish.. lol) or do my A's become 3.7's?

I think A's are 3.8's and A+'s 4.0's when calculating your subgpa.