2015 Canadian SLP Thread!

I also received the rejection notification today from McGill. Pretty disappointed but not overly surprised. Starting to feel pretty discouraged about the other schools now :(

Has anyone else heard from Dalhousie or Alberta today? And does anyone know what the average GPAs were last year of the people that were accepted to those programs?

Thanks and congrats to everyone who has received acceptances!

I know it is stressful waiting..... But there is nothing you can do now.. so relax. Find something to make you laugh.... Might I suggest my new show? It is up for a big grant, so If you can all vote for it... you will feel like you did something great while you wait?! Yes?

I hope you like it! Any one who has taken Neuroanatomy will laugh at the doctor scene ;) 

You have to make an account to log in an vote.... BUT DO IT! help a fellow perspective SLP out! ( Acting is my back up plan ... logical, right?)

http://www.storyhive.com/project/show/id/250

Congratulations everyone who got accepted to McGill! I also did not make into McGill. I am not super surprised but of course disappointed.

I hope to have better luck at the Ontario schools. My GPA is 3.73 and subGPA is 3.95 according to ORPAS. I also have about 300 volunteer hours with two different populations and conference presentations/research experience. I guess McGill is looking for something specific. They said they had to turn down a lot of great applicants because they received approximately 400 applications this year and could only admit 28 students.

This makes me super nervous. Your stats are absolutely amazing. 3.95 gpa, lots of volunteering, and you still didnt get in? How does anyone else have any hope :(

This makes me super nervous. Your stats are absolutely amazing. 3.95 gpa, lots of volunteering, and you still didnt get in? How does anyone else have any hope :(

I posted my stats because I think a lot of people with decent stats also got rejected. Maybe they can relate. Sometimes it simply does not work out. Also, sometimes what stands out are not grades but other things which maybe my application lacked.

I applied to another research masters and was offered an amazing funding package that is making this process slightly less painful. I suggest to try to have a back up plan even if it's not what you want.

You never know.

Edited by speechful11

Congratulations everyone who got accepted to McGill! I also did not make into McGill. I am not super surprised but of course disappointed.

I hope to have better luck at the Ontario schools. My GPA is 3.73 and subGPA is 3.95 according to ORPAS. I also have about 300 volunteer hours with two different populations and conference presentations/research experience. I guess McGill is looking for something specific. They said they had to turn down a lot of great applicants because they received approximately 400 applications this year and could only admit 28 students.

Got my rejection notice from McGill this afternoon too. Speechful, did they say that in your letter, that they received 400 applications? My letter didn't mention that... Was it from the department or from graduate studies?(not that this matters much at this point). Good luck everyone with your other schools! All the best.

Got my rejection notice from McGill this afternoon too. Speechful, did they say that in your letter, that they received 400 applications? My letter didn't mention that... Was it from the department or from graduate studies?(not that this matters much at this point). Good luck everyone with your other schools! All the best.

Hi 2015hopeful, I spoke to someone there. I think they said they received 380 or so? But only had 28 spots this year. It was not in the letter. Edited by speechful11

Wow your application sounds super competitive I am very surprised. Did you apply in Ontario as well?

I'm sorry to those that did not get in. Don't be discouraged by this rejection guys - McGill takes the least out of everyone. I have 2 friends who got rejected from McGill but still got in to Ontario schools last year. Just hold out for April 1st!

Wow your application sounds super competitive I am very surprised. Did you apply in Ontario as well?

I'm sorry to those that did not get in. Don't be discouraged by this rejection guys - McGill takes the least out of everyone. I have 2 friends who got rejected from McGill but still got in to Ontario schools last year. Just hold out for April 1st!

I did! I applied to Western and Toronto. Definitely lost a lot confidence after this but thanks for your encouraging words (: Edited by speechful11

I know that is why I didn't apply there haha!

I did! I applied to Western and Toronto. Definitely lost a huge amount of confidence after this but thanks for your encouraging words :)

Speechful, I am sure you will get into Ontario. Keep your head up I am concerned about my application because I do not have a gpa in the 3.9s.. that's what I meant by what chance do others have. :( I know it is the whole package, and I think I have a good one, but I really don't know anymore.

I know that is why I didn't apply there haha!

Speechful, I am sure you will get into Ontario. Keep your head up I am concerned about my application because I do not have a gpa in the 3.9s.. that's what I meant by what chance do others have. :( I know it is the whole package, and I think I have a good one, but I really don't know anymore.

I think it definitely is about having the whole package always, not about having the highest grades. Other aspects of someone's application I am sure can add more value than a few extra points on their GPA. Stay positive (: Edited by speechful11

Definitely Dal for me, it was the only place I applied! But of course advantages to Western as well (I just graduated from there actually!)

Oh really? I'm about 80% sure I'm going to pick Dal, but I'm not really sure about the advantages of each school.. trying to talk to people to get more insight. What made you only apply to Dal?

I got on the wait list for Alberta! Does anyone know if it's common for people to get in off the waitlist?? I feel like because I'm finding out early it could be a good sign that I'm near the top of the list.

"The department has sent out offer letters to 56 students.  These students have until April 7 to make their decision.  In the meantime, you have been put on our waiting list.   It can take until the end of April early May to fill our quota or longer.   At this time, please refrain from contacting the office for more information on the status of your application.  Your application is very strong, so if you do get accepted to another university, please let us know so we can update our list accordingly.  Your letter is attached.  Thank you.

Vicki"

I, too, was rejected from McGill, but I'm not really surprised.

Has anyone heard anything from UBC?

Sorry to hear you didn't get into McGill. I hope you get into one of the other schools you've applied to. I haven't heard anything from UBC yet either...anyone else?

I got on the wait list for Alberta! Does anyone know if it's common for people to get in off the waitlist?? I feel like because I'm finding out early it could be a good sign that I'm near the top of the list .

That's good! Hope you get in! At least some better news than our McGill rejections! Edited by speechful11

I haven't heard anything from UBC yet either...anyone else?

Nothing from UBC yet either :(

I was hoping today would be the day somebody here found out. It's gotta be close though! 

That's good! Hope you get in! At least some better news than our McGill rejections!

Thank you!! Has anyone else heard from Alberta today? I emailed them asking a question this morning and they responded shortly after. And now, like 6 hours later I get an email saying I'm wait listed. Find it weird that no one else has posted here yet about hearing from Alberta today! Also, judging by the email she sent me it sounds like all of the acceptances have gone out now?

Edited by sab236

I got on the wait list for Alberta! Does anyone know if it's common for people to get in off the waitlist?? I feel like because I'm finding out early it could be a good sign that I'm near the top of the list.

Congrats on the wait list spot :) 

I knew two people last year who got in off the wait list, but they didn't find out til mid- and late-May. My sample size is only two, but there's hope nonetheless! 

Congrats to everyone who has gotten in so far! 

I guess if we don't hear from uAlberta soon about the wait list it's safe to say we've been rejected? I am starting to lose a lot of hope. This is my first year applying and my GPA isn't as high as many others here so I've been bracing for across the board rejection (I have a lot of experience though, hoping that means something). Still keeping my fingers crossed that no news is good news, but man is this ever stressful.   

Thank you!! Has anyone else heard from Alberta today? I emailed them asking a question this morning and they responded shortly after. And now, like 6 hours later I get an email saying I'm wait listed. Find it weird that no one else has posted here yet about hearing from Alberta today! Also, judging by the email she sent me it sounds like all of the acceptances have gone out now?

That's great you made it to the wait list. I hope you get in :) I haven't heard anything from Alberta today.

"The department has sent out offer letters to 56 students.  These students have until April 7 to make their decision.  In the meantime, you have been put on our waiting list.   It can take until the end of April early May to fill our quota or longer.   At this time, please refrain from contacting the office for more information on the status of your application.  Your application is very strong, so if you do get accepted to another university, please let us know so we can update our list accordingly.  Your letter is attached.  Thank you.

Vicki"

Congrats! People usually always get in off the waitlist so you definitely have a chance :) it all depends on the year I guess. I hope you get in!! 

Edited by SLP333

I have also been waitlisted at Alberta! I received an email from them about an hour ago informing me :).

Btw if you're wondering, Bear Tracks has not been updated yet.

Edited by let'sgo

Congrats on the waitlist spot, sab236! :) I'm starting to lose a lot of hope for U of A - I thought I had the greatest chance of getting accepted there out of all the schools I applied to, especially since I made my sGPA quite competitive since the last round, and got a lot more experiences. At this point, I'm bracing for my 3rd rejection from them, and wonder if this is the universe's way of telling me that SLP just isn't meant for me.

Congrats on the waitlist spot, sab236! :) I'm starting to lose a lot of hope for U of A - I thought I had the greatest chance of getting accepted there out of all the schools I applied to, especially since I made my sGPA quite competitive since the last round, and got a lot more experiences. At this point, I'm bracing for my 3rd rejection from them, and wonder if this is the universe's way of telling me that SLP just isn't meant for me.

I feel the same way! I hope you get in to any one of the schools you've applied to this year! Keep your head up :)

Edited by wuglife