2015 Canadian SLP Thread!

I emailed Mark at Dal regarding the GRE scores:  See his response below:

Thank you for your email.  I would like you to know, as stated in our Admissions Requirements, Please note that there is no minimum subtest or total score requirement for the GRE General Test.” The School’s Admissions Committee members assigns different weights to different parts of the application, so the weight assigned to your GRE Scores can vary.

Mark

Thanks for emailing them! I think I am just going to try with these GRE scores and hope for somewhere to let me in haha.

I got my writing score back, and it's in the 93rd percentile so all my scores averaged is the 71st percentile. Which, according to U of A is okay.

Toriec,  I would suggest you wait to see your written score. The link I posted for U of A shows that they look at the average of the scores. So if your written is above the 80th percentile, your overall score would be above the 64th percentile and thus in the bracket of admittance. If your written scores are below the 80th percentile I would rewrite if I were you.

As for Dal, I am worried. However, if they place different values on the scores it would make sense to value the Quant score the least for this program. So hopefully it works out!

:)

Thanks for emailing them! I think I am just going to try with these GRE scores and hope for somewhere to let me in haha.

I got my writing score back, and it's in the 93rd percentile so all my scores averaged is the 71st percentile. Which, according to U of A is okay.

Toriec,  I would suggest you wait to see your written score. The link I posted for U of A shows that they look at the average of the scores. So if your written is above the 80th percentile, your overall score would be above the 64th percentile and thus in the bracket of admittance. If your written scores are below the 80th percentile I would rewrite if I were you.

As for Dal, I am worried. However, if they place different values on the scores it would make sense to value the Quant score the least for this program. So hopefully it works out!

:)

Okay, I'll wait until I get my written scores before I REALLY panic. :P 

Good luck to you with your applications!

Hi all,

Good luck to everyone applying. I just wanted to speak about job prospects. It's starting to freak me out, after talking to a couple of SLP's. 

I would assume, since it is so competitive and hard to get in, that it is because it is a highly valued job, and has a great job outlook. However, after talking to a couple of SLP's, they said they enjoy their job but it is hard to find jobs now and it's all contract based. They also mentioned not getting an actual stable salary every year, and their income being based upon the number of clients they have. These SLP's have worked in private therapy, and hospital settings. Not sure if that matters.

But has anyone heard anything similiar? Im scared I am freaking out and generally spending a extra year's tuition specifically for pre-req's, only to not even be able to find a stable job in the end. Has anyone spoken to SLP's about these matters? 

This is accurate. In big cities like Toronto the market is way over saturated and the most you can hope for is a part-time job filling in while another SLP is on maternity leave. I would take this into serious consideration.

I also want to mention that please please please talk to former graduates and current students before deciding on a University. I'm currently studying at one where the placements have been limited, the learning experiences during placement generally terrible, and the teaching of very important classes has been done quite poorly (especially important if you're coming from out of field). 

This is accurate. In big cities like Toronto the market is way over saturated and the most you can hope for is a part-time job filling in while another SLP is on maternity leave. I would take this into serious consideration.

I also want to mention that please please please talk to former graduates and current students before deciding on a University. I'm currently studying at one where the placements have been limited, the learning experiences during placement generally terrible, and the teaching of very important classes has been done quite poorly (especially important if you're coming from out of field). 

Which program are you attending?

Hey y'all,

Have you taken the Neurolinguistics online courses for UBC:   http://www.audiospeech.ubc.ca/why-study-with-us/msc-speech-language/slp-criteria/audi-402-and-403/

What was your overall experience?

How was the grading? Were they picky or fair?  Were the prof or TA's responsive?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone, 

First time applying and I'm incredibly nervous. The competition seems fierce! My stats:
CGPA - 3.78

SGPA - 3.88

Prereq GPA - So far 3.9, but I'm missing one prereq. 
Experience - Currently have about 60 SLP volunteer hours, but I'm hoping to bring that to at least 100 by the time I apply. I worked as a TA/Research Assistant for one year, and was editor-in-chief of my program's undergraduate journal.

Best of luck to everybody!  :)

Hi everybody!

Does anyone know how much a masters degree in linguistics helps with your application? I applied when I finished my undergrad and didn't get accepted. I'm now halfway through my masters in linguistics (child language acquisition) and I'm really hoping it will improve my chances when I apply this time around. Does anyone have any experience with this?

I've read that they don't include graduate courses in your gpa calculation which is very frustrating. But your graduate courses must count for something right?

Thanks! :)

Hi everybody!

Does anyone know how much a masters degree in linguistics helps with your application? I applied when I finished my undergrad and didn't get accepted. I'm now halfway through my masters in linguistics (child language acquisition) and I'm really hoping it will improve my chances when I apply this time around. Does anyone have any experience with this?

I've read that they don't include graduate courses in your gpa calculation which is very frustrating. But your graduate courses must count for something right?

A friend of mine started a masters program and applied to U of T.  She is finished last year.  She told me to just do another masters as it helps.  She said that she found out that they included her masters courses in her GPA even though they say they don't.  So she continues to advice me to start a masters, and that i don't even have to finish it.  But i think it's all depends on the school.  

Hi everybody!

I think it would definitely give you an advantage if it's a research based/thesis program because they like applicants with research experience. However, they focus on your undergraduate grades and coursework. The topic of your program also seems relevant which may be good. But I know for some other medical/health programs having a graduate degree only increases your chances by 1% if you hold a masters and 4% if you have a phd (for example, McMaster University) - this is not for SLP though but for other schools in medicine and health sciences - so I don't know what it would be like for SLP. also, these schools only consider a masters that is already completed. I don't know what the criteria is for the schools you are applying but I would ask if I were you, they can be very honest and helpful when you ask these questions. Someone I know with a masters was accepted to half of the programs for which she applied and wait listed in the other half (first time applying). I think it might help but it's hard to say how much. I wish they posted more details about this like some other programs do but for SLP. Edited by nat123

A friend of mine started a masters program and applied to U of T.  She is finished last year.  She told me to just do another masters as it helps.  She said that she found out that they included her masters courses in her GPA even though they say they don't.  So she continues to advice me to start a masters, and that i don't even have to finish it.  But i think it's all depends on the school.  

Thanks for the feedback guys! I will definitely ask them if they include graduate courses in the calculation and I'll post the respose here in case anyone is interested :)

Does anyone know if saying you'll do the thesis option for SLP increases your chances of being accepted?

I've heard of people contacting proferssors in advance saying they would like to do research with them and they got accepted mostly because of that. But I wonder if the thesis option is enough to increase my chances in general. It seems like a really intense option though and its not ideal for me, but if its going to get me accepted I would do it! Anyone have any info?

Hi all,

I'm new to this thread and looking for some helpful tips! Would anyone have some information to offer regarding the Ottawa program? It would be greatly appreciated! They recently changed their admissions process and I was wondering if anyone here already applied there or knows someone who did. I'd just really like to get an idea of what my chances are for this particular program (since I haven't been able to find much information about it so far...) Any other people out there thinking of applying to French programs? 

Thanks in advance!

Edited by papillonbleu22

Hi all,

I'm new to this thread and looking for some helpful tips! Would anyone have some information to offer regarding the Ottawa program? It would be greatly appreciated! They recently changed their admissions process and I was wondering if anyone here already applied there or knows someone who did. I'd just really like to get an idea of what my chances are for this particular program (since I haven't been able to find much information about it so far...) Any other people out there thinking of applying to French programs? 

Thanks in advance!

Hi papillonbleu! I applied to Ottawa for the previous application cycle and got accepted, but finally decided on McGill instead. Feel free to message me any questions you might have!

Does anyone know what scale University of Toronto and Western University use to calculate your GPA? Do they both use the ORPAS grading scale? *linked here: http://www.ouac.on.ca/docs/orpas/c_orpas_b.pdf

Or does each school have their own individual GPA scale? Because I found this on the University of Toronto site and now I'm not sure :(

http://www.artsci.utoronto.ca/newstudents/transition/academic/grading

Any info would be really appreciated!

Thanks

Does anyone know what scale University of Toronto and Western University use to calculate your GPA? Do they both use the ORPAS grading scale? *linked here: http://www.ouac.on.ca/docs/orpas/c_orpas_b.pdf

Or does each school have their own individual GPA scale? Because I found this on the University of Toronto site and now I'm not sure :(

http://www.artsci.utoronto.ca/newstudents/transition/academic/grading

Any info would be really appreciated!

Thanks

Hi Sab236,

As far as I know, they both strictly use ORPAs 'cause they don't calculate the GPA themselves; the rehab sciences application does it for them. But what you posted still looks pretty similar to what ORPAS does... Maybe the A's are a bit different. :-/

Edited by speechful11

Does anyone have any information on the documents required for reapplying to Mcgill? I know most schools allow you to reuse documents but I can't find any information on their website. I have contacted them by email but have not yet received a response so if anyone has any information I would really appreciate it! 

McGill's application opened yesterday! I started my application and I feel so nervous and excited about it. Who else is applying there?

I am!! I wonder if they are gathering a bigger class this year. I know their classes are usually tiny. I hope they've expanded a bit this time around!

Edited by speechful11

Does anyone know what schools accept an additional reference letter? (As in a reference letter from someone other than the required academic/professional references)

Thanks!

So I found out that the Canadian university grading system seems to be different than American grading system?  For example, getting a 70% in a class would be considered a C in United States, but would count as a B in certain Canadian provinces?  Would your grades/gpa be converted if an American student was to apply to Canadian programs for master programs?  I don't know the exact percentages I have in my courses because my school only shows the letter grades on transcripts.   

Edited by rainsonata

I am wondering if anyone has any experience or stories of applying to the University of Ottawa as a second language French speaker? I took French as a minor during my first degree and have spent a year abroad studying in French, but I am certainly not a near-native speaker! Does anyone have any idea how forgiving the U of O admissions department is on rusty non-native French speakers?

Hi all,

Thanks in advance!

Yes, I am thinking of applying to Ottawa (as an FSL speaker). Please share if you hear anything!

Hey guys! So I'm a Canadian, looking to apply to Canadian schools, and want to practice in Canada some day. However, recently I've thought about applying to schools outside Canada as a back up (potentially US or Australia- admittedly haven't done that much research into schools), but I'm a little bit worried about what my prospects might be when I return home. Is it difficult to practice as an SLP in Canada if you do not hold a Canadian degree? I've heard from a family member (a doctor) that there has been a big push lately to keep people with non-Canadian degrees to practice medicine/ health care in Canada, does anyone know if this affects SLP as well? I'm also concerned about how much more it will cost, but I guess I will have to cross that bridge if I come to it.

Thanks for your help!  

Hey guys! So I'm a Canadian, looking to apply to Canadian schools, and want to practice in Canada some day. However, recently I've thought about applying to schools outside Canada as a back up (potentially US or Australia- admittedly haven't done that much research into schools), but I'm a little bit worried about what my prospects might be when I return home. Is it difficult to practice as an SLP in Canada if you do not hold a Canadian degree? I've heard from a family member (a doctor) that there has been a big push lately to keep people with non-Canadian degrees to practice medicine/ health care in Canada, does anyone know if this affects SLP as well? I'm also concerned about how much more it will cost, but I guess I will have to cross that bridge if I come to it.

Thanks for your help!  

Be careful if you apply to American schools.  Some of them can get quite expensive for international students. 

Question: Is it hard to find a job after graduating from a Canadian program in the school/private setting?