2015 Canadian SLP Thread!

Does this make sense to anyone?

If a course is repeated, and both the original course and the repeated course are within the last 20 half courses, then the grades from both courses will be included in the GPA calculation. If you did poorly in a course in first year and then took it again in fourth year, then only the fourth year mark would count towards your GPA.

I do not get how this is logical. So generally if you want to redo a course that is affecting your last 10 full courses, don't bother. Has anyone endured this? My friend spent a year redoing a couple of courses only to find this out. That was money down the drain!

this makes sense to me.. but why redo a course? why not take a different course of the same equivalence ?

i assume its for pre reqs...

this makes sense to me.. but why redo a course? why not take a different course of the same equivalence ?

i assume its for pre reqs...

You can take a different course of the same equivalence, but the old course that you want to replace will remain on your transcript either way because it would still be in your subGPA calculation.  The only difference I can see this making is if it bumps out the entire year that that mark is in. 

• 2 weeks later...

@Speechies - For UoT and Western, there are sections where you input information for "Volunteer experiences in SLP or AUD", as well as for "Other Volunteer Experiences". You list the date range, hours, title, and a (very) brief description of the volunteer experience involved. For other schools you are given more space to write about your volunteer experiences/duties. 

@futureslpcan - Regardless of when you took the prereqs, you will list the course/marks that you received when completing the application. However, the subGPA calculation will only be of the the last 10 full or 20 half undergraduate course credits from your transcript (ORPAS calculates it for UoT and UWO when they have received the transcript). If the last two years you completed 19 half credit courses, they will take the average of the semester prior to those for the 20th half credit course.

@lindzzz - Sorry, I'm not sure about that one! But, I don't think they would have a specific amount of spots.

@Speechies - For UoT and Western, there are sections where you input information for "Volunteer experiences in SLP or AUD", as well as for "Other Volunteer Experiences". You list the date range, hours, title, and a (very) brief description of the volunteer experience involved. For other schools you are given more space to write about your volunteer experiences/duties. 

@futureslpcan - Regardless of when you took the prereqs, you will list the course/marks that you received when completing the application. However, the subGPA calculation will only be of the the last 10 full or 20 half undergraduate course credits from your transcript (ORPAS calculates it for UoT and UWO when they have received the transcript). If the last two years you completed 19 half credit courses, they will take the average of the semester prior to those for the 20th half credit course.

@lindzzz - Sorry, I'm not sure about that one! But, I don't think they would have a specific amount of spots.

Thank you!

Has anybody had any success in emailing schools asking them for advice on improving your applications? I've been working up the courage to ask haha. I just want to know if they will generally give worthwhile advice or if they give a generic answer/ say they can't comment, etc.

Has anybody had any success in emailing schools asking them for advice on improving your applications? I've been working up the courage to ask haha. I just want to know if they will generally give worthwhile advice or if they give a generic answer/ say they can't comment, etc.

Definitely ask them. I called in 2013 after I was rejected from the audiology program. They gave me some good advice and areas of the application that I needed to work on.

I would definitely suggest emailing or even calling schools to find out why you weren't accepted if you had a very strong application. I heard that some people got accepted on the spot when they called to inquire about rejections/wait-list positions because things had been missed or overlooked initially. It's your future, nobody is going to fight for you except yourself!

I just finished my 2nd year, am looking into applying to Speech Pathology at the U of A (but will apply to other places, no limit on that! Just wanna be close to home.)

Some of the graduation requirements are a little difficult to understand.

If I took say, child psychology in Year 2, do they use the grade for that in my GPA? Or are there two separate GPA scores given, one for my final two years in my undergrad, and one for my prerequisites? I got an A in child psychology so not worried about the grading. Just curious.

I've recently become addicted to reading these SLP forums, but it's also made me extremely nervous to think about even applying to SLP programs in Canada.

I'm going into my 4th year of my Honours BA with a double major in linguistics and psychology. I get all As and Bs in school, but reading all of these posts, it doesn't seem like my chances of getting in anywhere in Canada will be very good! My GPA for last year alone is around the 3.5 range and this year I'm aiming for straight As but who knows how that'll go! I've volunteered since high school in an elementary school, helping children with their reading, spelling and pronunciation, and I will be volunteering this year with at least 2 different speech pathologists who work with children. I'm also hoping to volunteer with elderly people with Alzheimer's and brain damage, with a program that helps people with intellectual disabilities, and with a literacy program.

I don't think that I'm ready to apply this year in Canada yet, but I'm not sure what my options are...

I've debated going back and retaking courses that I didn't do so well in (especially prerequisites), or doing a year post-grad certificate program at Brock while I volunteer, or going for the CDA program (as that is also what my mom does) to gain some more experience and volunteer. I've also looked into Australian programs through OzTrekk, which is an option, but the debt would be insane and it's so far from home! I'd also like to prepare for and write my GRE so that I could apply in the States or Dalhousie/Alberta.

I just need some guidance and advice- I'm so stressed and have no idea what I should be doing!

Edited by ashleytaylor

I would definitely prepare for and write the GRE. Honestly I would start applying now because you never know exactly what the programs are looking for. I had zero volunteer experience and got into Dal and was very surprised! No one can give you the magic formula so start applying, studying for GRE and aim for A's!

Edited by Slp1989

• 2 months later...

Hey! Does anyone have any information regarding applying to American schools for either SLP or Audiology? Like, would we still qualify to write the Canadian Certification Test? Would tuition be ridiculous?

Thanks!

http://forum.thegradcafe.com/topic/68570-canadian-applying-to-us-speech-language-pathology-programs/

• 2 weeks later...

Hey all,

I go to the University of Waterloo. Can someone please tell me what GPA an 80% converts to? Or an 82%? I want to know what a competitive average would be!

Thanks!

I think a 3.7 is 80% and a 3.72 is 82%... I am not entirely sure though.

• 4 months later...

Hey everybody! I am wondering if anybody here is currently in Western SLP or went there and what they thought of it? I have been accepted to Alberta and am trying to weigh my options just in case I get into Western.

:)