Deviance/Crime Concentration Schools

prayingonIT

Hello Everyone, I hope all is well!

Does anyone have a list of PhD programs which specialize/concentrate in Deviance/Crime/Law? Idealidstically similar to Penn State's program. Or better yet, is there a list of Sociology programs by Concentrations out there?

Thank you

Hello Everyone, I hope all is well!

Does anyone have a list of PhD programs which specialize/concentrate in Deviance/Crime/Law? Idealidstically similar to Penn State's program. Or better yet, is there a list of Sociology programs by Concentrations out there?

Thank you

Hi there!

I'm in a Sociology department at U of Toronto in Canada, in a Crime/Law/Deviance specialization. This program has a very healthy Crime/Law/Deviance concentration (ample faculty/TA posts, research opportunities/faculty/classes), but I became aware of that by doing research on the specific dept. of Soc while applying, I didn't consult a list or anything.

If someone has a list, I'd be interested in seeing it, but I don't know of one myself...

I'm less intimately familiar with the concentration strengths of American schools, but I can offer some thoughts...

- When you say you want something similar to Penn's program, do you mean you want a department that flies under some kind of dual Soc/Crim banner? I know of a few of those in Canada (Windsor and St. Mary's) and the States (Florida and Delaware) but I'm not sure about the veracity of the programs or their offerings (I'm pretty sure that St. Mary's only does MAs, for example). I think that there are things to think about though, when picking either a Soc department, a Crim department, or some kind of dual-department. I mean, you want to go where your research interests will flourish, but you also want to consider your discipline-orientation (are your methodological/theoretical orientations sociological or interdisciplinary?), and rank.

- There are also good programs that don't strictly swing under the Soc banner, the Crim., Law and Society program at UCI springs to mind...

- Again, I can't think of a program concentration list, but there are ways that you can find out which Soc-esque programs with Crime/Deviance concentrations are participating in the international discourse by being attentive to the ASA sections. Here's the link for the Crime, Law and Deviance section: http://www.asanet.org/sectioncld/information.cfm

- Beyond that, I would recommend talking to people about who is "known" for the strength of this concentration and looking up different Soc programs to see who claims it as a concentration AND has active faculty and comprehensive exams therein.

- There are some cool ranking systems to help guide you, though these are sometimes contentious in the GC (and they focus on US schools only which kind of irritates me).

------------> Here's the Crim list: http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-graduate-schools/top-humanities-schools/criminology-rankings

------------> And here's the Soc one (which, frustratingly, lets you search for specialties within Soc, but Crime isn't one of them!): http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-graduate-schools/top-humanities-schools/sociology-rankings?int=990708

Hopefully some of that is helpful!

Thank you all for the responses! Apparently I have the ASA's Guide to Graduate Programs in Sociology lists schools by concentration. $50 for members, $20 for student members. However, my local public uni has it for free via their library!